Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I was a huge fan of Metal Gear's lore until MGS4 happened. It was such a clusterfuck of idiotic conclusions to long-standing questions and overblown melodrama. However, I later gave Peace Walker a shot and it managed to renew my interest in the franchise. So I think no lore is beyond repair; rough times can be left behind as the game focuses on new, better though-out lore. Take Med'an for example, he was never retconned out of continuity, but as Blizz keeps on ignoring his existence he can do no damage. I also feel WoW's universe and its rules bend better to less savory lore-decisions than more "realistic" franchises like Metal Gear.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

10+ Year Old Account
    The lore after WC3 are in the novels. Not everything is told in WoW, only a small part. Even if you think about it, not all the lore was in WOTLK even if it was based on WC3. We only got to hear a small part of Arthas Story line. Yes WOTLK is the events after WC3 but not everyone understod who LK was, they just thought he was a badass dude sitting in a throne.

Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    The lore after WC3 are in the novels. Not everything is told in WoW, only a small part. Even if you think about it, not all the lore was in WOTLK even if it was based on WC3. We only got to hear a small part of Arthas Story line. Yes WOTLK is the events after WC3 but not everyone understod who LK was, they just thought he was a badass dude sitting in a throne.
    The Arthas novel was also only a small part of the story line of arthas.

Most important lore of arthas can only be found in WC3 and its expansion. Not in Wotlk and not in the Novel. For example the culling of stratholme is far better focused and explained ingame in WC3. you have to destroy the civilians and got a time limit no dragonflight to stop you or scourge and make the whole expierence a ridiculous one. No you have to kill the innocent humans and hurry with it while mal'ganis is taunting you. You simply don't get anything of this with wow or the novel.

And this is just an example of many. The whole episodes with Sylvannas before and after she was turned into a banshee are explained to full detail in the game. and no where in the novels or wow. Sylvanas when she lived was an annyoing pest and that refused to die - you were glad - as arthas - to finally kill her. the betrayal of your own soldiers when you destroy the ships in northrend so they cannot return to the king, arthas' father and the killing of the mercenaries that helped him.

The tale of arthas when he was undead and weakened and still managed to survive and defeat illidan.

all this is gold as far as lore goes.

and i see nothing of this in wow or the novel.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still love the lore. I like they story of WoD in and of itself, but I do agree it seems a little self-contained. We're seeing a lot of classic Warcraft stuff, with orcs on the rampaging and demons skulking around in the shadows, but there isn't likely to be too many far reaching consequences - they aren't our orcs or demons, and it doesn't seem especially likely they'll survive the end of the expansion.

Who knows, Blizzard could surprise us - maybe weld the AU and the MU together and bring a lot of formerly dead characters back that way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I dunno imo, there wasn't any good lore or characters generated in WoW. The best characters and story came from WC3. Totally subjective and my opinion, but I believe I'm not alone in that feeling.
    Deathwing and the Warlords are great characters as well, with a great story. Its just a shame that their expansions are rushed and thus their stories feel severely lacking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just gonna disagree and say WoW's story has been quite enjoyable thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post

Who knows, Blizzard could surprise us - maybe weld the AU and the MU together and bring a lot of formerly dead characters back that way.
    Hopefully something survives this expansion, so, it makes a sense in the big picture. MU Outland could be replaced by AU Draenor with a shift....or better it gets the best of both worlds, cause i still like the twisted outworld better than the rather peaceful Draenor.

But the only radical thing i noticed so far in WoW was that blizzard had no problem to kill off important lore villains, such as Illidan and Arthas. To kill them that early was pointless. I do not mean their powerlevel but their characteristical structure and development, there is simply no replacement. Even Sargeras and Kil'jaden cannot replace them cause they are not as fleshed out and rather vague in the lore.

I simply hope Gul'dan survives and comes with us in our timeline and dimension, from all villains in this current expansions, he showed the most potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Happy View Post
    . Wrath was quite well done and did justice to the lore it was covering, and Mists was the absolute pinnacle of WoW story telling. You can argue that the pandas were immature and not fitting with the theme, but the story itself was incredibly well told and had a lot more depth than a lot of people give it credit for.
    I completely agree with that. But I'm not as firm as you are on WoD. While it has its cons (the whole time travel thing), I have to admit that I found the story very engaging and interesting. And the way the story was told was really good too.
    Forum discussions are almost completely worthless to developers. It is a bunch of uninformed idiotic users screaming their untested crappy ass ideas over everyone else. Real data comes from studying what people do in game, how they react to changes, etc.

Ehh just a rough patch dude any game or story has shitty lore at one point or another.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Titebiere83 View Post
    I completely agree with that. But I'm not as firm as you are on WoD. While it has its cons (the whole time travel thing), I have to admit that I found the story very engaging and interesting. And the way the story was told was really good too.
    Like i really like the way they did storytelling while questing this time. Made up for the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    What made WC3 so good was it was where most of the main characters had that big event occur in their lives. We got to follow them throughout their character progression and it was well told. The way they handled the multiple campaigns was interesting in that it got you to see a major event happening from different perspectives as well and how each character felt about it.

They have done a decent job at storytelling in MoP and WoD questing (not nearly on the level of WC3 though), but it's the whole "Alternate Universe" thing that just never sat well with me. I gave it a chance but yeah, if whether someone lives or dies now just doesn't matter.

I don't care as much about it as I used to. Blizzard have made it pretty clear that they've lost the magical touch they once had. We still get some great stuff here and there but it's largely overshadowed by predictable cliches, excessive pop culture references and Blizzard's ongoing obsession with humans and orcs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much. WoD was basically the end of me caring about WoW lore. Well, WoW in general, really.

Cata did enough damage to the lore for me to care anymore. WC3 and a few books are all I look to now.

One of these days I'll go back and quest through the post-Sundering world and finally get my Loremaster. Then I'll let you know what I think about the lore as it stands now.

Deleted
    I only tune in to see and laugh at how bad it is.

As a longtime Rp'er and warcraft fan since wc2.

The lore has become too fucking complicated. There has been too many inconsistencies that take away the appeal of the themes i used to enjoy. Many races and organizations in the game have been turned into jokes. and "cool" has become an excuse to take the setting places i never hoped it would go.

Basically i enjoyed wc3 and the early wow, because it was a old school D&Dlike fantasy. The high technology things and pop references break immersion. Why do draenei use lazer rifles when everyone else is using bows, why are they doing the same damage.

The titans had awesome technology, it was old archeological stuff, left from the beforetimes, for us to explore, getting weapons or artifacts of that tech should be ultra rare and exciting. But technology has become so prevalent, you have the Kezan intro which is just a modern day cartoon replica. Everyone has personal vehicles, airplanes.

goblin shamans dont make any sense. There is zero explanation as to why corporate skinks with a toolbox is able to replicate elemental powers that other races have to spend their lives in devotion to, in order to access.

And the new worlds we explore feel far from home. Why cant we have a rise of alterac expansion, where the duke or whoever lives there, rounds up the people to take back the foothills and maybe arathi. Those are the warcraft themes, orcs/humans i like. Burning crusade was an abomination, lich king is close to where i like the lore. Cataclysm was great untill orc jesus killstealed deathwing with his kamehameha. MoP was so far away in theme, it might aswell have been another game. And WoD has ZERO influence on our world. We are the chosen ones, sent through the portal to deal with a threat before it becomes a threat. EG the rest of the world just sits there, stale, with no story progression beyond "in another dimension, stuff is happening"

TLDR: I haven't stopped caring, but i have been unhappy with its direction for a long time.
    Last edited by Kaykay; 2015-02-24 at 07:51 PM.

I only care about Warlock/Necromancer lore and Blizzard is butchering it because the Historians and dumb Micky believe that using sacrificed/destroyed life-force for the "dark arts" isn't Necromancy and it just goes to show that they don't give a t(-.-t) about Warlock/Necromancer lore.

It's asinine to believe and/or state that Arcane magic used to harness Demonic Greenish-Black shadow bolts, conjure diseases, and chill people with the power of the Fel/Demonic spell mortal/death coil is Necromancy while Fel/Demonic magic isn't Necromantic magic.

https://twitter.com/mickyneilson/sta...79221265629184

https://twitter.com/gryphonrose/stat...03784629932033
    Last edited by Cheapnecrolyte; 2015-02-26 at 12:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I stand by that Arthas is one of the greatest characters ever written, at least by blizzard.
    He is the most human and strategic villain in the whole of World of Warcraft. He had flaws, he had personality, he was a very intelligent and powerful threat, that wasn't just "RAWR ME POWERFUL ME SMASH YA FACE!"
    Arthas is a case of a warrior who has nothing to live for, literally. He's given up his soul to undeath, and I'm certain he knew that he would inevitably fail in some way or another. "No king lasts forever", as said by his own father. Yes, this was after he fell, but he knew in his cold, lifeless heart. It's what many Death Knight roleplayers fail to realize, is that DK's aren't bitter, or "Emo". They're heroes who have nothing left to live for, but to die for their own reasons. They do crazy, stupid things because they want to make the most of their second chance.
    Arthas came the closest any villain has to winning, only failing because Deus Ex Machina Tirion. His plan was ingenious, get the strongest heroes to come up and fight him, kill them all and raise them as his own, thus not only removing the threat, but forcing them onto your team.

Arthas appreciation aside, Blizzard has never had such a creative storyline since Arthas, because the Lich King was the most infamous character within the World of Warcraft. Once he died, Blizzard had no idea where to go after that. I know they were working on Cataclysm well before WotLK came out, but it wasn't a great expansion with sub-par lore.
    And I don't think it's possible to create such a perfect expansion (Lore-wise and partially gameplay-wise) as WotLK, because of how masterfully the story was made. Of course, it's all opinion, but personally, I find that Blizzard, despite the slim pickings for Lore they can create, are doing their damndest to not fuck up. You all need to realize that all of the major lore that the Warcraft series brought up (Aside from Demons and Old Gods) are already filled. The only way they could make such a great expansion better than WotLK would be to make a Burning Legion expac, but that won't be until the end of WoW's lifetime.

Personally, I have high hopes for the end of WoD, when we'll be sucked back into more interesting lore.
    Isn't it fitting WoW really took a nosedive after 'the Cataclysm'?

I feel like I'm the only one who thought Arthas' writing in Warcraft III was pretty ho-hum. I actually felt like the first two campaigns were kind of dull and it only started getting good during the Orc campaign (and this is coming from a lifelong Human side player).

He was a good villain in WoTLK, but IMO Lich King fanboying vastly exaggerates him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.