Thread: good shoes

good shoes

Hi, I'm having trouble with leg pain while walking, and running. This is caused by me not knowing how to walk/run properly i'm pretty sure. So I need a good pair of shoes that sort of forces me to the proper movements. I have no experience with such things so I thought I'd ask here. What do you guys think? Is ergonomical shoes the way to go?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know that there are shoes that will 'force' your movements. The best bet is finding shoes that offer proper support and practicing the movements. By practicing, I don't mean just 'walk' or 'run'- look up some of the various styles online, break the motions down, and repeat them slowly and with mindfulness.

As for shoes, I don't know what you guys have over there, but we have shops that specialize in just running shoes- making sure your shoe fits your running style, that they properly fit your feet, that they are tailored to any specific quarks in your stride, etc. They also often offer training, and have info for local running groups/clubs, which again would have loads of knowledgeable people that can help you with your issues.

http://verticalrunner.com/
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

Determine if your feet are flat, normal, or have high arches. I have flat feet so for running, I use stability motion control shoes that have good support. Or you can just get insoles for your shoes.

Deleted
    Getting shoes that will support you in the weak spots will lead to nothing more then making your weak spot getting weaker and you needing more support as time goes by. Its an never ending circle. Getting to run with proper running form and posture is everything. I had more or less every injury in the book untill I 6 years ago learned to run barefoor running. I have not had one injury since and im doing 70 miles a week .

I suggest you get a good running coach who knows how to teach you barefoot running . In my experience most injuries come from bad landings ( heel strinking) that couses massive impact on your bone structure and mucle groups that are not intende to take that kind of impact. Landing on your midfoot/ slight forefoot with the right posture and running with the right pace ( 3 steps pr sec ) will move the impact to mucle groups that is intended to to handle it.

Be adwised this takes a fair bit of practice since most people have not run like this since they were children and you need to start completely over once you have learned to do so. I ran alot when I made the transcition and I had to go back to do 200 yards at the time to practice it and it took me 9 months to do my first 10 k.

Edit : Also I will under no surcomstaces recommended you to use any form of cuschind shoes. The thinner the better. When learning this form of running you need all the feedback your body can give you and contact with the surfurce yor running on is very importent . The less distance between you and the surfurce the easier it gets. Theese days im running in luna sandals only cant use any shoes at all anymore.
    Last edited by mmoc9af6750baa; 2015-02-11 at 06:41 AM.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I also would like to suggest that you see a physical trainer or a sports trainer. You probably have a short/tight muscle somewhere in your lower body or even up to your back. I know from playing years of wow and other pc games my leg muscles got bad from the hours of constant sitting and not being active at all. Shoes do help and a lot of people just go to the store and pick what size feels good and looks good to them instead of getting their foot measured and getting the proper shoe for the right application.

Deleted

Take some minimalist shoes ( do you know Vibram fivefinger )

No need to see anybody... leave your foot to their deep nature, practice like the picture.

Have a good day.

You can learn yourself how to run properly.

https://posemethod.com/running/

Pose method is basically what you see in Paraclefs picture.

Watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSIDRHUWlVo

Its pretty good and will get you to think about a few things while youre running. Definitely worth watching.

Wow very nice. I really liked your question. I had this problem as well.

7+ Year Old Account
    One thing that helps loads if you have problems with "pronating" or "super-pronation" of the feet is custom footbeds.

There's are straight out packet ones or moulded ones (from running shops, ski shops etc) which will keep your legs and back aligned to help posture and relieve pain etc.

superfeet and conformable are brands that do this if you want to take a look.

Biggest rule though, don't wear trainers all the time.

Best thin ever: Wear bare feet around the house and garden and walk on your tip toes as much as possible.

Your best bet is to ask a doctor, or go to a store like "Good Feet" where they specialize in figuring out what kind of shoes you need.

There's just as much research for as there is against barefoot/minimalist shoes versus traditional running shoes. Every person is unique and there is most certainly not a 1 size fits all solution. Talk to someone who knows what they're doing, and let them help you. It's really the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by dave555 View Post
    Getting shoes that will support you in the weak spots will lead to nothing more then making your weak spot getting weaker and you needing more support as time goes by. Its an never ending circle. Getting to run with proper running form and posture is everything. I had more or less every injury in the book untill I 6 years ago learned to run barefoor running. I have not had one injury since and im doing 70 miles a week .

I suggest you get a good running coach who knows how to teach you barefoot running . In my experience most injuries come from bad landings ( heel strinking) that couses massive impact on your bone structure and mucle groups that are not intende to take that kind of impact. Landing on your midfoot/ slight forefoot with the right posture and running with the right pace ( 3 steps pr sec ) will move the impact to mucle groups that is intended to to handle it.

Be adwised this takes a fair bit of practice since most people have not run like this since they were children and you need to start completely over once you have learned to do so. I ran alot when I made the transcition and I had to go back to do 200 yards at the time to practice it and it took me 9 months to do my first 10 k.

Edit : Also I will under no surcomstaces recommended you to use any form of cuschind shoes. The thinner the better. When learning this form of running you need all the feedback your body can give you and contact with the surfurce yor running on is very importent . The less distance between you and the surfurce the easier it gets. Theese days im running in luna sandals only cant use any shoes at all anymore.
    The jury is still out on this. Some people get stronger from barefoot running, other just injure themselves. The evidence is inconclusive.

Your best bet would be to see a Podiatrist and Physio. But if you want help from an internet hero I will offer my two cents.

Your first step should be to strengthen your core and hips. Start with learning how to brace your self properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfG0ykuWbnM

From there do exercises like leg swings, bridges and planks. Next start teaching yourself how to run properly. Someone has liked the pose running method already.
    At some point you will have to buy some shoes the trouble is the shoe will depend on your individual needs. That means a trip to the Podiatrist and $$$. They will also be able to recommend a shoe. Initially you should get a motion control/stability shoe. The idea here is your foot muscles may need to be reminded of the jobs they are supposed to be doing. Orthotics, a motion/stability shoe and foot exercises should be able to do that. Then as your foot gets stronger swap to a shoe that is more like a "racing flat" and concentrate on holding good form when you run, you then swap to the orthotics and other shoe when you can't spend the time/ brain power to concentrate on keeping your feet in a good position, this will stop you feet defaulting into a bad position at work/school.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Neteyes View Post
    Hi, I'm having trouble with leg pain while walking, and running. This is caused by me not knowing how to walk/run properly i'm pretty sure. So I need a good pair of shoes that sort of forces me to the proper movements. I have no experience with such things so I thought I'd ask here. What do you guys think? Is ergonomical shoes the way to go?
    Since you are from Sweden I would really recommend you to visit "Löplabbet". They are amazing and will find the perfect shoe for you. You can even book an appointment to visit a orthopedist that will help you with a sole for the shoes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonexe View Post
    Your best bet is to ask a doctor, or go to a store like "Good Feet" where they specialize in figuring out what kind of shoes you need.

There's just as much research for as there is against barefoot/minimalist shoes versus traditional running shoes. Every person is unique and there is most certainly not a 1 size fits all solution. Talk to someone who knows what they're doing, and let them help you. It's really the only way.
    I agree with his suggestion, u need find a professional doctor to give the correct judge.