Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Battlebots Returning to TV

http://www.cnet.com/news/ready-for-a...returns-to-tv/

I laughed pretty hard when I saw this the other day. Did anyone used to watch this at all?

FLIP BOT = WIN

Quote Originally Posted by frigoffrick View Post
    http://www.cnet.com/news/ready-for-a...returns-to-tv/

I laughed pretty hard when I saw this the other day. Did anyone used to watch this at all?

FLIP BOT = WIN
    I used to.Was so neat to watch as a teen. Not sure itd keep my attention as an adult though. However, could certainly get people into science more.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

I'm excited for it, I loved it when it was originally on TV so I'm looking forward to this.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Legitimately exciting, assuming they don't ruin it in some way. Like if this becomes 35min of "reality tv" with 5min of battle at the end, I'm going to break my TV.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    My son watched battle bots and robot wars over this past summer and he loved it and tried weaponizing his rc car lol.
    But flip bots sucked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Legitimately exciting, assuming they don't ruin it in some way. Like if this becomes 35min of "reality tv" with 5min of battle at the end, I'm going to break my TV.
    Ugh, producers have ruined so many shows by trying to stir up controversy in some way to get ratings. Hopefully they will keep to the same format as before.

The British show, Robot Wars I believe it was called, was much better than Battlebots. That show focused more on 1v1's and resulted in much more strategy of design being revealed to the audience instead of the clusterfucks that Battlebots ended up being. Regardless I will still give Battlebots a shot since I used to love these shows.

I used to watch something similar, but it always gets boring eventually. I mean some similar shows have tried adding shit like obstacle courses, so that it's not just a bunch of wedge shaped robots with saws on them bumping into each other, but there's really only so much you can do.

It would be more interesting if there was crazy shit, like thermite volcano robots, and 100,000 rpm carbide buzz saws, and .50 BMG robots.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I used to watch something similar, but it always gets boring eventually. I mean some similar shows have tried adding shit like obstacle courses, so that it's not just a bunch of wedge shaped robots with saws on them bumping into each other, but there's really only so much you can do.

It would be more interesting if there was crazy shit, like thermite volcano robots, and 100,000 rpm carbide buzz saws, and .50 BMG robots.
    "Our first competitor to enter the arena: GunBot! It's actually just a gun attached to some wheels, Bob."

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    "Our first competitor to enter the arena: GunBot! It's actually just a gun attached to some wheels, Bob."
    See that would be amazing. Unfortunately since a .50 BMG round can go through a 1" thick boiler plate like it wasn't even there it would not be safe.

But I'd still love to see extreme stuff with lots of horrible dangerous destruction. Like I said, bumper wedges was cool in the 90s... but I mean, we have trains that hover now, and computers that can fit in the palm of your hand and are more powerful than some of the supercomputers that existed in the 90s... it needs to be moar extreme

oh god i loved this show, even started designing my own bot for it

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    See that would be amazing. Unfortunately since a .50 BMG round can go through a 1" thick boiler plate like it wasn't even there it would not be safe.

But I'd still love to see extreme stuff with lots of horrible dangerous destruction. Like I said, bumper wedges was cool in the 90s... but I mean, we have trains that hover now, and computers that can fit in the palm of your hand and are more powerful than some of the supercomputers that existed in the 90s... it needs to be moar extreme
    I second that. In the end it would be way more interesting if they needed to actually engineer those things properly, including the transmissions of video and control signals and other things, maybe even have autonomous segments. All the shows do end with flipping or some such thing though, because at some point most guys just learned that there was a very obvious meta game in there.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2015-02-11 at 09:29 AM.

Deleted
    Ban flippers, relax all other rules, but limit weight of any projectiles. So you get like, one shot with a big fucking harpoon, or like several shots with a little gun, and then you need some kind of backup in case you miss and need to go into melee. Up the overall weight limits so you can fit more shit into your robot, armour it better etc. Then it's like, do you waste weight on a ranged weapon that's gonna be hard to aim but could just win it, or do you just spend that weight on armour and making it badass elsewhere.

Also hypnodisk lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    "Battlebots" looks an awful lot like "Robot Wars" to me lol Was fun when I was younger, tbf.
    It's the same show/concept, just different names due to some licensing/legal mumbo jumbo. I loved these shows when I was younger. Razer was pretty badass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denkou View Post
    Razer was pretty badass.
    Razer was by far the best of Robot Wars, it just looks so awesome.
    Diotoir was fucking stupid.
    Cassius 1 (and somewhat 2) was great as was Chaos 2.
    Panic Attack was lame.
    Hypnodisk was op.

Yes, I used to watch Robot Wars every time it was on.
    Last edited by Lollis; 2015-02-12 at 01:09 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Razer was by far the best of Robot Wars, it just looks so awesome.
    Diotor was fucking stupid.
    Cassius 1 (and somewhat 2) was great as was Chaos 2.
    Panic Attack was lame.
    Hypnodisc was op.

Yes, I used to watch Robot Wars every time it was on.
    Hynodisc for president of the world. SPIN TO WIN.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ewwww Robo Wars yuak. Such crap
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    They should bring back reboot/ beast wars

Quote Originally Posted by Denkou View Post
    It's the same show/concept, just different names due to some licensing/legal mumbo jumbo. I loved these shows when I was younger. Razer was pretty badass.

Poor robochicken didnt stand a chance, that weapon sucks compared to that razer bot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Poor robochicken didnt stand a chance, that weapon sucks compared to that razer bot.
    That was the way with most of the fights tbh. 3/4 of the contestants just submit joke robots that totally suck just for fun with their kids, and then the 1/4 who are totally playing to win and it's like "This is a team of 5 engineers from DARPA and their robot is an unstoppable killing machine sent back from the future to kill Sarah Connor"