Thread: diablo 2

10+ Year Old Account

diablo 2

i downloaded d2 from bnet and the game is lagging (like lol) on a laptop i bought 3 months ago

have you researched online to see what the fixes are? my guess is it's probably a driver/setting issue, because there's definitely no reason that game should be running slow. unless that laptop you bought was from a garage sale and it was built in 1994!
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: WoW, D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Some modern PC's just can't handle older games. First think I did a few years back when I bought this shiny new monster was to instal D2...

It's unplayably laggy. Even with the "Fixes" posted online it's still not running at 100%. I've heard everything from playing it on 1 core to playing it in compatability mode, but none of that stuff worked for me.

Of course I could just have been doing it wrong , check google there will be a variety of fixes, see if any of them work for you.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I had that problem, but with D1. Oddly enough, the fix was an update to the newest graphics driver. But yeah, you might look into that.

I never had any problems with D2, even on my more modern Windows 7 rig. I just installed it and it worked with no problems, without the need to tweak anything. D1 took a few more tweaks and fucking around with compatibility mode settings, but I eventually got it to work.

Best thing to do is just keep digging around on Google until you find something that works. There will probably be all kinds of "fixes" out there and only one that actually works for you. I can't even remember how I got SC: Brood War to work, but it was something I randomly found on Google (something about making a batch file to kill Windows Explorer when you run the game).
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2015-02-11 at 05:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    i downloaded d2 from bnet and the game is lagging (like lol) on a laptop i bought 3 months ago
    1) If you have "Threaded optimization" "On" in your graphics driver settings, switch it to "Off" or "Auto" - this seems to be the most common cause of the problem.
    2) Try installing DirectX 9 (I know, DX11 includes DX9, however in older games it doesn't always use the correct libraries, which causes a severe drop in performance).
    3) Try compatibility settings and "Run as administrator", plus turn off "Read only" for the whole folder.
    4) Try installing NET Framework 3.5 if you don't have one (unlikely to solve anything, but still).
    5) Try running Diablo 2 in Windowed mode. I had a PC in which it fixed all the performance issues, oddly.
    6) Make sure your laptop isn't running in some kind of Power Saving mode.
    7) Have you updated Diablo 2 to the latest version? I recall there was some performance issue fixed in the latter patches.
    8) If you have a multi-core CPU, try turning off all cores but 1 (Ctrl-Alt-Del -> Processes -> right click on Diablo2.exe or whatever it is -> Affinity -> Uncheck everything but the first field).
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

I still have a Paladin savegame for Diablo 2 that dates back exactly 12 years ago tomorrow.