when should I sub?

I bought the preorder version of the game way back when it launched. And I've only just now started playing again. So I've got the preferred status for my account and have been pretty happy so far just running through the story of the game.

But as I start to learn more about the restrictions on free to play, I'm getting a little concerned about how well I'm going to be able to take it as I get higher level.

so I'd like some advice. At what point does it starts to really become worth it subscribe. If my main intent is to play mostly to enjoy the single player aspect and story, do I even really need to subscribe at all?

If you're okay with the speed of leveling as preferred you never need to sub. If you plan to do anything besides leveling you should definitely sub.

Well first, what level are you? At some point F2P players get an xp reduction (I think it's level 20?) so if you plan on leveling passed 20 on more than one character I'd sub for a month or two just to experience it, and you would get cartel coins for subbing.

I personally can't play this game without a sub.... just too many restrictions, or reminders that their are things subs get that F2P don't that just bug me, and it's a great game so I don't have any issues giving BioWare my money (sadly they're attached to EA but meh... small price to pay)

Currently level 24. I haven't even noticed the experience penalty, TBH, even though the game informed me of it.

The main that that concerns me is the 350k cap on credits for a preferred account. Not sure how much that's going to really come into play for leveling and enjoying the story, but I definitely agree that if end-game catches my interest I'll be subbing.

IMO subbing is rather unnecessary unless you are serious about end-game raiding, ranked PvP and/or crafting. Pretty much every other sub bonuses can be unlocked using CM items purchased from GTN (one time credit spent as opposed to monthly subscriptions paid) and earning credits is very easy through end-game dailies. The only unlock that affects gameplay, I think, is the Artifact Equipment Authorization; the rest are mostly cosmetic unlocks. You would also need the Section X unlock to get to the daily area, as well as unlock HK.

Deleted
    Tomorrow at 2.

I would sub for a month just to get the previous expansion for free. Other than that, unless you plan to pvp on a regular basis or do raids (but you need the new expansion for the latest ones), then you are fine as preferred for levelling. In case of XP droughts just do the tactical FP, even though you should be doing that at least once per level for the 20 daily commendations.

It all depends on what you want out of the game, and what you're willing to put up with (or work around), but here are my suggestions, should you remain Preferred:

1) Join a guild. Find people you enjoy grouping with (or at least don't mind occasionally interacting with). You immediately get a global +10% experience boost just for being in a guild, and should you come to befriend/trust your guildies, they can make the rest of the non-sub workarounds VASTLY more manageable.

2) Scour the GTN for unlocks. If you're just going to play 1-2 characters with any regularity, they are significantly cheaper (and easier to find) as individual character unlocks, but if you know you'll eventually level 3 or more toons, try to find unlocks for your whole account. The 350K credit cap is your biggest enemy here, as most of what you're looking for will be very hard to find under that amount, but keep searching, and as I said before, if you find friends you can trust that have a subscription, ask them to buy the unlocks for you, and you can pay them back in 350K increments.

3) Buy a stronghold. I can't stress enough how convenient this is, regardless of your subscription status, and if you acquire enough utility options, it will make both the leveling process and managing your resources infinitely easier.

4) Legacy perks. You can add various QoL bonuses to your character, usually with just credits. Gauge your preferred method of leveling (flashpoint, class quest, etc.), and you can boost that aspec of experience gain. Or choose to reduce the cooldown on your quick travel. Or the time companions take to vendor your junk-quality loot. And on and on.

5) Work the system as best you can. While each of your characters may have limits (credits, comms, storage space, etc.), you can create 6 characters right off the bat as Preferred, and that makes for a whole lot of flexibility with a properly outfitted stronghold. For example, my Drommund Kaas apartment has the following decorations (feel free to add anything else you like, but I'm into function, not form):
    * mailbox
    * legacy storage
    * medical droid
    * GTN kiosk
    * modification station

With just those items, while out questing, at any point I can teleport to my stronghold, repair my gear, buy medpacks if needed, sell unwanted inventory, buy or sell on the GTN, or even augment some gear, then teleport right back to where I was.

And related to this, once you reach the level and/or reputation requirements, you can easily move credits and/or basic comms around within your legacy. (Several vendors sell legacy bound items that cost credits and/or basic comms. Simply buy enough items to equal the desired amount, store said items in your legacy storage, swap to the toon you want to receive the credits/comms, and sell the items back to the vendor.)

I currently have 3 characters at 60, and I just started working on a 4th. The biggest headaches are still the credit cap, as well as buying weekly operation passes on the GTN, but both are manageable, if you're willing to raise (and rearrange) the credits. Oh, and the reduced reputation gain is annoying, but you can still do everything, it just takes a lot longer.
    Last edited by jkutswings; 2015-02-13 at 10:22 PM.