Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Gaming headset recommendations.

So I know there are already a couple of threads with this topic floating around out there (and I've even participated in a couple of them), but I didn't want to hijack them. I'm shopping around for a decent gaming headset (PC, that is), and I have a few specific options in mind but was curious if anyone here actually used these models or had opinions/thoughts on them. I like to listen to music (usually metal), but this will primarily be used for gaming.

I've had a Corsair Vengeance 1500 for about 3 years, and I loved it. Mine finally broke (the "shit quality wire that breaks and kills sound in the right speaker" problem that model is famous for) a week or so ago. Considering it lasted 3 years, I feel like I at least got my money's worth. It was the best headset I've ever owned until it broke. Thought I'd take a stab at trying to fix it myself since the warranty is expired anyway, but failed miserably (those wires are hair thin and well outside my skill at electronics repair to fix).

Ideally, I'm looking to spend $100 or so, but I'd be willing to go as high as $150 if it came down to it. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm an audiophile, but sound quality is pretty important to me when I'm gaming. Comfort is also very important to me, so I'm looking for something with lots of padding (something I loved about the Vengeance 1500) with the whole "completely cups around the ears" design. Don't really care if it's wireless or not, because it's not like I want to go take a shit while I'm wearing the headset or anything. Also need something with a mic, of course.

Anyway...here are some of the options I've been looking at:

1. Kingston HyperX Cloud II. I've read a lot of good things about this model, and it's in my price range. Some reviews out there say the included software is kinda shitty, and a few say it has the same wire problem that my Vengeance 1500 had. But most of what I've read about it has been positive. The "bad" reviews I've read are like....1 in 5, so that's not super bad.

2. Tesoro Kuven Pro A1. This is a brand I've never even heard of, but it's another one that seems to get a lot of good reviews and is also in my price range.

3. Logitech G35. Same as above. From my experience, Logitech is usually a really good brand (at least when it comes to mice and keyboards), but I've never tried their gaming headsets.

I've also thought about picking up the Corsair Vengeance "v2" model, but I've read a lot of reviews on it where people say they have the same problem mine had within a year of buying it. So I'm not too sure if I want to go that route. I'm not too sure what the difference is between the Corsair Vengeance 1500 and the Corsair Vengeance 1500 v2. Also thought about picking up one of the Vengeance wireless models (since the problem with my last one was the shit-quality wire used for the cord), but yeah. Was curious if anyone had any thoughts on the above or any other recommendations.

tl;dr: I'm looking for a decent gaming headset and am hoping to get some suggestions here. I'm willing to spend up to the $100-$150 price range. Want something that's not necessarily audiophile level but has decent sound quality, lots of padding for comfort with the design that completely cups around the ears to cancel out room/ambient noises, and a mic. Don't care if it's wired (as long as the cord is at least like 4 feet) or wireless.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2015-11-12 at 02:39 AM. Reason: fixed some typos and formatted a little better

Ciddy, I don't know if this will help you but there's a website dedicated to headphones articles and discussions at http://www.head-fi.org/. Or you can go directly here to ask for recommendations http://www.head-fi.org/f/7840/introd...ecommendations. There was also a list of recommendations somewhere on that site categorized in price-range but I forgot the link. Forgot the link to gaming headsets section http://www.head-fi.org/products/cate...aming-headsets
    Last edited by Danifa; 2015-11-12 at 03:26 AM.

Sennheiser also makes a line of gaming headsets. My friend has the HD320 I believe and they've been working well for him for around 2 years now. Those appear to be $95 on Amazon atm. Slightly more are their G4ME One and G4ME Zero headsets.

Or what my friend and I did was buy an AT2020 condenser mic on a desk mic stand and keep using our good headphones. Only downside to that is, even as a cardioid mic it can pick up some of your typing sound or possibly computer fan noise. Whereas the ones with a built-in mic are usually shaped even more aggressively to not pick up any sounds behind it. Condenser mic sounds amazing though. We sometimes joke around with servers by pretending to be movie trailer dub voices bc of how clear it is.

Sennheiser HD518 or HD558, and get a standalone USB microphone would be my recommendation.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Get great headphones and buy a separate mic for 15$.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    stuff
    Here's the lowdown:

Don't buy logitech headsets - they break easily,. I had one,. i had to ditch it after a week.
    Don't buy any fancy "3d" stereo headsets like turtlebeach has. They feature tiny as shit little speakers which will result in quite tinny sound.

Get a sennheiser, or plantronics. They last for years and are good quality stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Sennheiser HD518 or HD558, and get a standalone USB microphone would be my recommendation.
    I got the HD558, and I tend to agree that they are quite nice for gaming, the only issue with it is you have to get a standalone microphone that always seem to not do a great job, picking way to much ambient noise compared to headset mounted mics.

That headset is also pretty indestructable too. The cable is much thicker than the average headset and is replaceable too.

7+ Year Old Account
    I've got the first one (Kingston HyperX Cloud II) and personally I love them. I'm no audiophile but I am picky with my headphone choices lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bisso View Post
    I got the HD558, and I tend to agree that they are quite nice for gaming, the only issue with it is you have to get a standalone microphone that always seem to not do a great job, picking way to much ambient noise compared to headset mounted mics.

That headset is also pretty indestructable too. The cable is much thicker than the average headset and is replaceable too.
    I've got a pair of hd598 myself. The standalone depends on the mic quality and distance from the tower. Condenser mic will pick up less than your standard junk mic, and if the tower is say, on the floor on one side and mic is on a stand on the table on the opposite side it should be fine then.

HD558 (or 598 on sale) with Modmic (http://www.modmic.com/).
    Alternative just buy the G4me One if you like to have an good Mic on top of an already fine Headphone.
    But its a bit tricky... since these would require (almost) a sound card to perform at a good level.

up to <100$ i would buy a Cloud, since its a good Headphone with a decent Mic.
    Keep in mind that i dont recommend to buy the Cloud 2, just buy a normal one with a Xonar DG / DGX Sound Card.
    Almost same price, but better Quality, and please pass the Logitech ****.
    Last edited by Nokami; 2015-11-12 at 09:22 PM.

Here is one thing about gaming headsets iv found. If you can buy it at your local best buy. Do NOT order it over the net. And this is becuase with it you should buy a 2 year warranty. If you do anytime it breaks you can go right into bestbuy and exchange it for a brand new one. Iv done this as many as 7 times off of one warranty. Especially the g35, i love it but its brittle and i use it every single day.

That's true. I have the HD598 as I said, but I also have a Xonar Essence ST paired with it. As mentioned, the Xonar XG is still a nice sound card, even though its only $50 or so, and it has a headphone amp as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I have had 2 pairs of the G35 and I currently have the HyperX II's and I would by leagues recommend the HyperX II's over the Logitech ones. The G35's are nice but they have a real fatal build issue and break easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I second the general consensus among experts: do not buy a "gaming" headset, buy a good pair of stereo headphones and a mic separately. Mics are really cheap, there are some for just a few bucks, that can be attached to the headphones. Headphones are numerous, but companies like Sennheiser, Korg, Sony, AKG, Behringer are to be trusted. For $100, something like Sennheiser HD 280 Pro should work great.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-...ser+headphones

HD 598 are of higher tier and cost more ($150), but might be a better choice if you've got money to spare.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-...ser+headphones

---

I myself am an owner of HD 600, they are much more expensive (went for $400 a year ago or so). I also made a thread here shortly before buying it, asking for suggestions on "gaming headsets", and people immediately discouraged me from them and suggested that I buy nice stereo headphones instead. I am really happy that I decided to listen to them!
    Last edited by May90; 2015-11-12 at 10:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Ive user the sennheiser GAME Series for a few years now and sound quality is good, microphone even better.

Stay away from gaming headsets, they are just marked up "decent" headphones with a mic.

I've owned Icemats, Sehenheiser HD555's, HD595, Audio Technia AD700 and AIAIAI Young Guru's.

Young Guru's are the best I've owned followed by AD700's.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd go for a proper but small single micro and some outstanding sound quality earbuds such as the soundmagic e10's.

I just got the Corsair Void wireless and i love them most comfortable headsett i have ever owned, but it's my first wireless gaming headsett so i dont have anything to compare to. I have heard good things about Sehenheiser's though from alot of people.

Thanks for all the comments.

The more I look at it, the more I like the "buy a really awesome pair of headphones and get a separate mic" idea. That hadn't really occurred to me before just because the all-in-one "gaming headsets" are all I've been used to, and I was looking more in that area because I loved my Vengeance 1500 so much before it broke. I've also heard a lot of good things about Sennheiser and would say the HD 598 is in my price range (if right at the edge of it).