Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    This game used to be awesome then....artificial difficulty patches came in and it turned into massive grind. I really hope they will revisit alot of ideas before full release.
    most of the "artificial difficulty" things (that are corpses and hearth attacks) can be disabled in the options
    apart from those the game is exactly the same it was several patches ago.

The only thing maybe is that they may have gone a little bit overboard with some price increases (especially building upgrades) as far as gold prices go, with careful play and good management I can avoid most of the costs.

However I can see where they are coming from with those prices, when I was playing before I upgraded the entire hamlet completely before even having reached level 4 with one guy, so it does kinda make sense, now I have two level 5 in this playthrough and still have some thing to upgrade, it does make sense that you will reach a more "complete" stage of the hamlet later in the game

Back to the corpse and hearth attacks, even with those options enabled once you understand how the game works is not that difficult at all, if anything sometimes corpses make things easier as allow to keep using certain high damage abilities that hit the back rows even after you killed the front one.

Cove monster using special abilities do help with making the game a bit more difficult but not that much, still can't wait to see those in other dungeons as well as whatever they are reserving for the final patch ^^
    Last edited by mmoc89084f456c; 2015-10-11 at 07:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazorf View Post
    most of the "artificial difficulty" things (that are corpses and hearth attacks) can be disabled in the options
    apart from those the game is exactly the same it was several patches ago.

The only thing maybe is that they may have gone a little bit overboard with some price increases (especially building upgrades) as far as gold prices go, with careful play and good management I can avoid most of the costs.

However I can see where they are coming from with those prices, when I was playing before I upgraded the entire hamlet completely before even having reached level 4 with one guy, so it does kinda make sense, now I have two level 5 in this playthrough and still have some thing to upgrade, it does make sense that you will reach a more "complete" stage of the hamlet later in the game

Back to the corpse and hearth attacks, even with those options enabled once you understand how the game works is not that difficult at all, if anything sometimes corpses make things easier as allow to keep using certain high damage abilities that hit the back rows even after you killed the front one.

Cove monster using special abilities do help with making the game a bit more difficult but not that much, still can't wait to see those in other dungeons as well as whatever they are reserving for the final patch ^^
    It's not about either corpses nor heart attacks. One actually added tactical depths, second removed it completely since there is literally no point even trying to go further once someone hits negative 100 on yellow or red mission.

The real issues are that in game where perma death should be biggest punishment....you don't really care that much about your soldiers. Due to perma diseases being completely inefficient to remove you are going to spent most of time just shuffling your team of lvl 1-2 over and over again while grinding hamlet. Also, because you can't take overleveled heroes on lover lvl missions makes bosses of both green and yellow levels really painful when you realise that this one guy you needed just leveled up - well you can dismiss him and level another one ?

The issue isn't about game being difficult - its about it being difficult where it shouldn't be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    It's not about either corpses nor heart attacks. One actually added tactical depths, second removed it completely since there is literally no point even trying to go further once someone hits negative 100 on yellow or red mission.

The real issues are that in game where perma death should be biggest punishment....you don't really care that much about your soldiers. Due to perma diseases being completely inefficient to remove you are going to spent most of time just shuffling your team of lvl 1-2 over and over again while grinding hamlet. Also, because you can't take overleveled heroes on lover lvl missions makes bosses of both green and yellow levels really painful when you realise that this one guy you needed just leveled up - well you can dismiss him and level another one ?

The issue isn't about game being difficult - its about it being difficult where it shouldn't be.
    Fair enough, thanks for elaborating, and I see your point.
    However I don't have personally an issue with any of that.
    Saying that the game does not really make the player care about the soldiers is not entirely true, but I do care about my soldiers, because losing a level 5 is a HUGE pain in the ass considering how much it cost to upgrade its skill and equipment without even considering the lock of positive quirks that can cost up to 7-8k on a level 4 dude (don't even want to think about level 5-6).

Losing an entire team is devastating, it takes forever to recover from that loss, maybe the penalty could be higher in some ways yes, even though I fail to see how to make it more significant with the current game design.

Now, not being able to bring over leveled heroes makes sense because hero with higher resolve and upgrades are so much more powerful and being able to bring those would trivialize those bosses immensely that sometimes even with level twos are extremely easy (second boss of Cove I'm looking at you, and yes you too second boss of weald). If this wasn't the case you would happily farm normal quest until you over level the bosses and them steamroll them horribly

Soldiers out-leveling content and having you with no adequate level one is a management issue, that is part of the game. It's another level of complexity, but is not that bad or not even difficult to handle just require a minimum of paying attention. At the same time being able to dismiss an hero is fundamental on a game with a limited roster, because then you would be forced to restart the entire game if you make a basic distraction mistake, mistake that can be still very harsh in certain circumstances, just not as bad.

When I realized that I didn't have enough low level heroes I simply upgraded the stage coach. Now I've 24 heroes, still can upgrade the coach for roster but I don't have any level 1 boss left.
    Last edited by mmoc89084f456c; 2015-10-12 at 08:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Alright, bumping this.

The game is currently on sale so I'm buying it. People keep echoing what I was told here earlier, that this game has a lot of content and is pretty damn awesome even though it's early access, but I still want to know if the developers have any idea when they're going to be done with this thing? Have they shared anything regarding when they're going to consider this game full release worthy?
    Allegedly its supposed to be ready for full release by the end of the month.

After putting nearly 20 hours into it, I decided to hold off until the final release. I know there's been some big updates that haven't pleased everyone, specifically the aforementioned Corpses and Heart Attack thing. So I'm waiting to see what the final form will look like. From the time I played it though, I really loved everything about it.

Like others have said, a lot of the difficulty can be mitigated when you understand the mechanics. Its still a tough and punishing game, but one I found well worth my money. I think my biggest gripe at the time was that there were clearly better Henchmen than others. So hopefully those are better balanced by the time it full releases.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Darkest Dungeon officially releases today. PSA accompanied the release...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyayQQAVEGo
    SWTOR Friend Referral Code: http://www.swtor.com/r/kg3Sch

Perfect timing! I have a whole weekend to play it!

Remind yourselves that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Played all night and loved it.

I got a unique encounter in one dungeon, or at least I think it was a unique encounter. The enemy was Boss level, and wasn't the same "theme" as anyone else in the dungeon. It dropped a high value gem and some relics.

Also got to experience the new classes. I have to say the biggest surprise for me is the Houndmaster, which turned out to be my favorite new class at this point. His ability to damage enemies in any position, self heal for a respectable amount, and mark targets has made him *almost* want to put him in my main line up. Right now he's in the B-Team group.

The Abomination is another surprising new class that I am not sure about. I only did two dungeons with him, but he seems like a solid support hero who has the option to go nuclear at the drop of a hat.

All in all, I'm glad I waited to play this game since its first release on early access. The new mechanics and classes give me enough stuff to learn that it doesn't feel like I'm just replaying the same game I played a year ago.

And that Narrator! =)

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    PSA accompanied the release...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyayQQAVEGo
    That was some cringy stuff.

But seriously though, the worst thing about this game is that I can't play it on my tablet.
    Last edited by Simulacrum; 2016-01-20 at 02:11 PM.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been slightly amused reading some forum stuff on people upset with the game on the Steam Forums. Apparently there are a lot of people who failed to read that splash page at the beginning of the game that says bad things will happen, heroes will die, and the game is about making the best of a bad situation. Some people can not take failure very well I suppose. ~_^

Speaking of which, I had my first Total Party Kill last night. I lost my C-Team to a boss in the Warrens, and while I don't necessarily LIKE that I lost 4 of my heroes, I did learn a lot about that boss that I can use to take him out next time (training up a new group now). I probably also would have lost my A-Team in another Boss encounter, but I ended up bailing out of the dungeon...not because they were too beat up, but rather because my inventory was overflowing with loot after finding a secret door containing 7500gp in gems and a rare relic. The tension of being able to lose your party at any point is something not many games can pull off, and it makes the times you get massive rewards that much sweeter.

Deleted
    Great job WarpedAcorn! And yes that's how it work.

Losing an entire team is gonna be normal (and was it the witch? cause yes the witch is a huge pain) and you're gonna cry bitter tears when it start to be level 4-5. Two days ago I lost my level 6 crusader I just ragequitted lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Great job WarpedAcorn! And yes that's how it work.

Losing an entire team is gonna be normal (and was it the witch? cause yes the witch is a huge pain) and you're gonna cry bitter tears when it start to be level 4-5. Two days ago I lost my level 6 crusader I just ragequitted lol
    It was the Swine Prince. He just hit so damn hard, and resisted well over 10 Stun attempts from my Man-At-Arms (should note I got the "What is dead can not die" achievement from my Man-At Arms who survived 6-7 shots while being at Death's Door). I had my Abomination ready to go nuclear and unload, but he died in one round after taking a Crit to put him at Death's Door and an AoE follow up in the same round. From there I knew it was game over. My healing couldn't keep pace, so I was just in "testing" mode. I know the group makeup to bring in there next time though.

The Witch (2/3) is where my A-Team left off last night. Tonight we will see if they can get back in there and take her down. I'm looking forward to losing a team of 6-Resolve Heroes. It sounds like fun! XD

Deleted
    It was the Swine Prince. He just hit so damn hard, and resisted well over 10 Stun attempts from my Man-At-Arms (should note I got the "What is dead can not die" achievement from my Man-At Arms who survived 6-7 shots while being at Death's Door). I had my Abomination ready to go nuclear and unload, but he died in one round after taking a Crit to put him at Death's Door and an AoE follow up in the same round. From there I knew it was game over. My healing couldn't keep pace, so I was just in "testing" mode. I know the group makeup to bring in there next time though.

The Witch (2/3) is where my A-Team left off last night. Tonight we will see if they can get back in there and take her down. I'm looking forward to losing a team of 6-Resolve Heroes. It sounds like fun! XD
    Fun like a big jug of acid poured on my balls. yeah, its a game that make me ragequit but I keep coming back to. Accrued more than 100 hours on it.

Swine prince can be the easiest one, you just need to know what do to, and most importantly what *not* to do.

Party composition and the right skills are also super important especially from level 3 and above. You'll learn.. the hard way lol
    Last edited by mmoc89084f456c; 2016-01-21 at 03:45 PM.

Been playing this a bit. It's amazing.
    Also, RNG can ruin your life.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Fun like a big jug of acid poured on my balls. yeah, its a game that make me ragequit but I keep coming back to. Accrued more than 100 hours on it.

Swine prince can be the easiest one, you just need to know what do to, and most importantly what *not* to do.

Party composition and the right skills are also super important especially from level 3 and above. You'll learn.. the hard way lol
    You got that right! Bringing the "highest dps" isn't always the right answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    So i got back into the game from my old save, and aside from 200k gold (back when it was absurdly easy to farm) i found this on my graveyard.

"Helion #1 killed by wilbur"
    "Helion #2 killed by wilbur"
    "Helion #3 killed by wilbur"

Fuck wilbur.

You got that right! Bringing the "highest dps" isn't always the right answer.
    Bringing an Arbalest to clear the mark makes Swine Prince a joke.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Deleted
    I restarted the Game again, this will probably be the last time
    A lot of skills changed or got tweaked for good. Now the Bounty Hunter mark also lower armor, which is pretty good, buff from the Plague Doctor increase Speed along with damage.

This is all pretty good <3

Just ran into the collector when I was NOT prepared for it... :/
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Going to be waiting for the next big discount before getting this. Too many variable reviews, probably due to a few changes over a short period?