I'm A Bad Boomkin...

Hi there. Long time lurker, but first time posting. Anyone mind giving this a read-through?

Admittedly, I just switched from feral to boomkin, so I haven't had a lot of practice yet, but I feel like I'm doing exceptionally sub-par DPS for my item level. I think I've read every boomkin thread on here, the battle.net forums, Icy Veins, and whatever else I could find on Google about four times a piece, and I'm still kind of underwhelmed with myself.

I can't post any links, but my druid is the only Sarthiandri, so my armory is easy to find.

I have Ask Mr. Robot logs (my Warcraft Logs uploads are all bugged, so I don't have them), but again, no links. Maybe I can PM them? Anyway, both are telling me that I'm doing about 24% of my DPS for my item level (50% for Butcher at ilvl 660).

I tried running my stats through the spreadsheet linked in the Boomkin guide thread, but I'm not entirely sure how to use the information.

Right now, my opener is:
    Pre-pot
    (Wait for Bloodlust)
    Inc + Berserk (Troll)
    Moonfire
    Starsurge
    Celestial Alignment at Lunar Peak
    Starfire
    SF
    SS
    SF
    SF
    SS
    SF
    MF (for MF and Sunfire) [I think about here I'm leaving CA]
    (Starfire here if I haven't screwed something up, I think)
    SS
    Wrath, Wrath, Wrath, and Sunfire refresh on the way out of Solar.

As I'm moving back and forth on the Lunar/Solar bar (I use the default), I'm starting my Wrath casts at about 20 Lunar power on the way down and starting my Starfire casts at about 60-70 Solar power on the way back up.

I've popped, briefly, up to 30k-ish DPS on AoE fights with full buffs, but mostly I hang around 22-24k on AoE and a bruising 16 - 19k on single target.

I feel like I've read a bunch of stuff and totally misunderstood most of it somehow. Any tips?

Thanks!

Hey what's up, since there's no logs to look at this is what I am able to tell from the information you've listed.

For your opener (this one is very basic) if your guild uses DBM pulls, which I pray to god you are;
    -3.5 use Incarnation
    -1.5 Prepot and starsurge(max range)
    0 Celestial alignment + Moonfire + Berserk (No GCD with this right? I'm Alliance)
    Starfire
    Starfire
    Starsurge
    Starfire
    Starfire

Make sure you reapply moonfire before C/A drops then go back to your standard rotation.

Do your best to reapply moonfire/sunfire while they're still empowered while on the way out of their respective eclipses. Judging from the DPS you say you do, one can only assume without logs that you're most likely not managing your starsurges correctly.

Thanks. I had no idea I was supposed to be popping Inc before the pull even happened. I'm used to using it as you come out of stealth as Feral, so I assumed the timing was about the same.

And no, berserk is not on the GCD.

I'll try to get a working Warcraft Logs set of logs. I have an Ask Mr. Robot one, but it doesn't break it down quite as much as the other log applications do. I tried to post the Ask Mr. Robot one, but I can't post links yet, as I'm too new. I have an LFR Butcher fight that uploaded correctly, but due to the length of those fights, I'm not really sure if it's representative of what I need to be doing.

Would I be able to message you with any of that, or would you be willing to look at them?

So, inc, prepot, SS, MF, 'zerk, SF, SF. I'll work on that. Thanks!

Sure, I PMed you my btag seeing you're horde.

I think I can help you man. Ive mained balance for 6 years and have several top parses from ICC up to now. If you wish to chat, seeing as it would be a lot to type at the moment and I just happen to see this before heading out the door.. here is my battle tag Asteri#1948. I love chatting with other balance druid, but sadly I dont personally know that many. Hope to hear from you soon, if not then good luck and Loktar Ogar friend.

Thanks for the offer, Cubbydruid! I sent you a friend request as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wootie View Post
    Hey what's up, since there's no logs to look at this is what I am able to tell from the information you've listed.

For your opener (this one is very basic) if your guild uses DBM pulls, which I pray to god you are;
    -3.5 use Incarnation
    0 Celestial alignment + Moonfire + Berserk (No GCD with this right? I'm Alliance)
    Starfire
    Starfire
    Starsurge
    Starfire
    Starfire

Make sure you reapply moonfire before C/A drops then go back to your standard rotation.

Do your best to reapply moonfire/sunfire while they're still empowered while on the way out of their respective eclipses. Judging from the DPS you say you do, one can only assume without logs that you're most likely not managing your starsurges correctly.
    but dbm sucks and people should use bigwigs and call it pull timers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sarthiandri View Post

I have Ask Mr. Robot logs (my Warcraft Logs uploads are all bugged, so I don't have them), but again, no links. Maybe I can PM them? Anyway, both are telling me that I'm doing about 24% of my DPS for my item level (50% for Butcher at ilvl 660).

Thanks!
    so apparently you have logs, but they are bugged so you don't have them but apparently you can pm some logs/links that you don't have

i'm lost

but if your on butcher use soul of forest instead of incarnation as you don't move and soul of forest talent beats incarnation if there is no movement involved.

...I got Darmac in the shower! Woo! I'm casting 60,000 Starfall's an hour!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wootie View Post

-3.5 use Incarnation
    Starfire
    Starfire
    Starsurge
    Starfire
    Starfire

You should not reapply moonfire before CA turns off, atleast not with euphoria.

Quote Originally Posted by Critchick View Post
    but if your on butcher use soul of forest instead of incarnation as you don't move and soul of forest talent beats incarnation if there is no movement involved.
    That isn't necessarily true. Fight length plays a huge factor in this as well. If it is a fight like Grull mythic (6 minute enrage), SotF would be better because 6 minutes is the worst possible time for some of our major CDS (excluding 4 set). On a fight like butcher though where the kill time is much shorter, Incarnation will have a lot higher uptime therefore outperforming SotF.

And all of this ignores the other use of Incarnation. On butcher if you are trying to beat the berserk at 30%, having another 3 minute cd helps because it shifts your damage into spikes. Ie. you may be doing 24k sustained single target but with your cds active you are doing 70k+. This is huge for fights like these where you are trying to survive certain conditions.

To clarify, you should always refresh dots before CA ends when using BoP or Stellar Flare.

Quote Originally Posted by Colix View Post
    You should not reapply moonfire before CA turns off, atleast not with euphoria.
    I think this is generally true but you have to look at your options a few seconds before CA ends, even with Euphoria. The options change based on your haste value, trinket procs and whether you lust on pull. I base it off the following priority:
    1. An empowered Starfire cast that goes off before CA ends
    2. A Starsurge as long as I'm not overwriting empowerments
    3. Reapplying Dots

Reapplying dots is nice even with Euphoria because if you don't, Sunfire will usually fall off right as you enter into solar eclipse meaning you have to refresh it at a non-ideal time and you'll have to keep refreshing it at a non ideal time unless you waste a GCD later. If you refresh dots at the end of CA, Sunfire lasts until the next solar peak so you can refresh it at a much better time and your rotation flows more smoothly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lericus View Post
    To clarify, you should always refresh dots before CA ends when using BoP or Stellar Flare.

I think this is generally true but you have to look at your options a few seconds before CA ends, even with Euphoria. The options change based on your haste value, trinket procs and whether you lust on pull. I base it off the following priority:
    1. An empowered Starfire cast that goes off before CA ends
    2. A Starsurge as long as I'm not overwriting empowerments
    3. Reapplying Dots

Reapplying dots is nice even with Euphoria because if you don't, Sunfire will usually fall off right as you enter into solar eclipse meaning you have to refresh it at a non-ideal time and you'll have to keep refreshing it at a non ideal time unless you waste a GCD later. If you refresh dots at the end of CA, Sunfire lasts until the next solar peak so you can refresh it at a much better time and your rotation flows more smoothly.

Ye, that is correct. Its something I do my self aswell but most of the time you dont reapply dots and I wasnt really in the mood to write ^^