Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

What if neanderthals never went extinct?

Neanderthals and humans were a separate species, however they interbreed over the course of thousands of years and eventually the Neanderthals disappeared. This would indicate that we were the same species, however the Neanderthal genome has been studied and we know they were a different species. We could also find that they genetically had the same vocal cords as humans and a finding in the throats of our common ancestor indicated that Neanderthals probably had the same vocal cord setup.

So what if Neanderthals never went extinct?

We would probably treat them like a mix between minorities and foreigners. Cause you know, we would have probably done the same to them like we did with every indigenous population in eh world.

They may have reservations and some reparation program.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Maybe they evolved into yetis, like Scooby Doo hypothesized many years ago.
    I don't think yetis look like Neanderthals

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    I don't think yetis look like Neanderthals
    How would you know? Have you ever seen either of them?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I was going to make a racist comment that would have been funny, but I decided to take the highroad.
    It would be pretty nuts if Neanderthals never went extinct. I agree wholeheartedly.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    How would you know? Have you ever seen either of them?
    We know enough of the Neanderthal and common sense in evolutionary terms to suggest they looked like humans. They lacked large amounts of body hair (like apes) to run down prey in the similar fashion humans did/do.

We'd be making TV reality shows about their lives.

Oh wait...!

We'd treat them like natives and foreigners, as has been stated already. Another way to put it is: We'd treat them exactly as we did when they were alive. We mated with, went to war against, and ate them.

It's super fascinating what gave us our edge, too. We generate spheres of learned information outside first hand experience. Because our young take so long to grow, we spent an inordinate amount of time educating. School is what outmoded the Neanderthal and I love it. They grew up faster than us and were roughly the same intelligence, but we spent more time thinking and, importantly, sharing what we thought.

I love my species.
    Last edited by Abajaba; 2015-02-16 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MauroDiogo View Post
    We'd be making TV reality shows about their lives.

Oh wait...!

How dare you insult Neanderthals like that! One creatures deserves to be compared to that... thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Abajaba View Post
    We'd treat them like natives and foreigners, as has been stated already. Another way to put it is: We'd treat them exactly as we did when they were alive. We mated with, went to war against, and ate them.
    We ate them!!!!! Whoah

I can't imagine eating anything I'd also have sex with. That is just weird. (All eating girls puns aside...nasty )

I think we need a superior human being to compete with us and get us on track. It seems like the collective thinking of the human race has slowed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Neanderthals and humans were a separate species, however they interbreed over the course of thousands of years and eventually the Neanderthals disappeared.
    Only to point out, if two species interbreed and get fertile viable offspring they are the same species, but different subgroups. The aboriginal are the most remote genetically of humans, so if pure-Neanderthals was still alive in "modern" time they will probably be treated like the aboriginal first very racist, then a effort to "civilized" them and in the end treat them as indigenous people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Abajaba View Post

It's super fascinating what gave us our edge, too. We generate spheres of learned information outside first hand experience. Because our young take so long to grow, we spent an inordinate amount of time educating. School is what outmoded the Neanderthal and I love it. They grew up faster than us and were roughly the same intelligence, but we spent more time thinking and, importantly, sharing what we thought.

I love my species.
    I'm not so sure how rigorous the academic curriculum of homo sapiens was back in 50,000 BC.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhine101 View Post
    We ate them!!!!! Whoah

I can't imagine eating anything I'd also have sex with. That is just weird. (All eating girls puns aside...nasty )

I think we need a superior human being to compete with us and get us on track. It seems like the collective thinking of the human race has slowed.
    So what you're saying is that you pay no attention to medical and technological advances whatsoever?

On Topic: They went extinct, mostly thanks to us. I haven't gone deeper into the subject than what elementary school covered, but they died to a combination of sickness and being in the way of us.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Quote Originally Posted by Rhine101 View Post
    We ate them!!!!! Whoah

Really now, we need a Homo superior to make things interesting!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    So what you're saying is that you pay no attention to medical and technological advances whatsoever?

On Topic: They went extinct, mostly thanks to us. I haven't gone deeper into the subject than what elementary school covered, but they died to a combination of sickness and being in the way of us.
    Neanderthals interbred with homo sapiens. We didn't "roundly annihilate them."
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

There are some theories that the Neanderthals interbred with homo sapiens. Some scientists believe they tracked down some villages in Eastern Europe who's inhabitants have some small traces of Neaderthal genes in them.

If you think neanderthals went extinct, you've never worked in customer service.

[Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosEater View Post
    Really now, we need a Homo superior to make things interesting!
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

See, that guy in the yellow diaper gets it!

On a serious note though, from an evolutionary position it is damn interesting to think about whatever may be our next step.

There is no next step, thats not how evolution works. Its not something with predetermined stages or goals. Evolution is a slow process brought by necessity. Our final evolution trait, our massive intelligence to build technology answers all our possible necessity in the future. Homo Sapiens has virtually not changed in about 200000 years. The only changes we had is in our increasing usage of tools, its more and more theorized that its more logical that we simply cannot evolve anymore since we pretty much stopped all form of need from ourselves. There is no need to evolve when a species has attained perfect survival. Humans are not the only exemple of this, many ancients animals still exist and remains largely unchanged, lack of predator/need to adapt, since their survival is assured in their current form.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2015-02-16 at 06:00 AM.