Thread: Tanking help

Tanking help

So my guild started doing Heroic BRF this past week and I was getting recked. I don't have logs but I will record them this Sunday and update the thread. Here's my armory http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...%C3%B4n/simple

Looking for any help/tips etc. I tanked in Wrath a little in cata/mop. I enjoy tanking and feel the I have a good grasp on how to be a good tank. What I'm seeing that I take random huge spike damage, I'm running HA/Serph and trying to keep Serph up at all times unless I need I'm planning to use it as a CD (which I was on Gruul). Long story short I kept dying and we didn't very far. We've cleared 5/10 normal and 8/8 Heroic Highmaul were I didn't have any problems staying alive. Thanks in advance, will update with longs ASAP.

Updated, Logs a guildy was running through askmrrobot. http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/combat...4#v=0,d=2,c=16

Second set of logs http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/combat...6674a/overview
    Last edited by nordonn; 2015-02-14 at 01:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like you're using the wrong seal (you should be using Insight), also looks like your uptime SS, SotR and Seraphim are all very low. I don't see a single use of GoAK, and your use of Divine Protection is also extremely low.

You really need to work on the basics of using your mitigation and defensive CDs.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2015-02-15 at 01:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Updated with logs

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    I don't see a single use of GoAK.
    GotAK doesnt appear on logs.

Edit:

@OP: As TEHPALLYTANK said your uptimes are really low.

Checking Gruul.

- You should aim for close to 100% SS uptime (yours was 39%).
    - You should get at least 40% uptime on seraphin. If you cant just stick to holy shield. 2 casts of seraphin over a 2:44 fight is just wow.
    - You're not using crusader strike enough. 20 CS uses over 18 uses of judgement shows you dont really have your rotation well learnt. Practice more.
    Last edited by Kethmil; 2015-02-16 at 08:44 AM.

First off, with GoAK, AD and glyphed DP you have 3 CDs. Also every single healer has an external tank CD. Why are you saving freaking Seraphim as a CD?

2 Seraphims in almost 3 minutes is borderline terribad territory. You only have SS up 1/3 of the time. Why?

I mean dude, I don't mean to single you out because it's hardly a problem exclusive to you, but Heroic Gruul is pretty much a tank-specific fight. Can the tanks position Gruul correctly and can they live through the damage. That's it.

But you go in there with absolutely huge gaps of knowledge of your class as a tank. Where have you read 'save Seraphim as a CD' or 'don't keep SS up'?

I've read a billion prot pally guides and it never says anything like that. Hell even Noxxic doesn't tell you to do that.
    Last edited by Marolen; 2015-02-16 at 08:32 PM.

40% uptime on Seraphim? You should aim for 50%

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ensiferum86 View Post
    40% uptime on Seraphim? You should aim for 50%
    50% is unrealistic to expect, you'd have to be timing it perfectly or wasting holy power to achieve. I strongly suggest using Holy Shield and simply focusing on improving your rotation and CD usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Marolen View Post
    First off, with GoAK, AD and glyphed DP you have 3 CDs. Also every single healer has an external tank CD. Why are you saving freaking Seraphim as a CD?

2 Seraphims in almost 3 minutes is borderline terribad territory. You only have SS up 1/3 of the time. Why?

I mean dude, I don't mean to single you out because it's hardly a problem exclusive to you, but Heroic Gruul is pretty much a tank-specific fight. Can the tanks position Gruul correctly and can they live through the damage. That's it.

But you go in there with absolutely huge gaps of knowledge of your class as a tank. Where have you read 'save Seraphim as a CD' or 'don't keep SS up'?

I've read a billion prot pally guides and it never says anything like that. Hell even Noxxic doesn't tell you to do that.

The first half of your post was pretty spot on and pointed out all his problems pretty efficiently.

The second half seems kind of unnecessary, yes he is making a few silly mistakes and his own research could probably have reflected that but he came in here looking for help, you don't have to rub it in.