10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    They should have started with Arthas.
    And I'm honestly glad they didn't. As much as the current product isn't spectacular, I could not imagine better things (even though I could imagine a lot of worse ones) by starting with WC3 directly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Add in that if hte movie had done really well, blizzard would have been shouting it from the mountain tops. That didn't happen after it was released to any great measure. It was all but forgotten.
    Metzen's departure was another bad sign, both for the possibility of a sequel and the perceived value of the Warcraft IP going forward.

- - - Updated - - -

To add to the numbers: the movie grossed $15.9M from domestic DVD/Blu-Ray sales.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Warcraft#tab=summary

The graph on this page of box office over time shows the movie had very poor "legs":

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/War...tab=box-office
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    It's Diablo, Kerrigan, Arthas and Tracer, in that order.
    Doesn't look like tracer but okay
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    No, what hurt it was not starting with their A game.

The First War is pretty mundane as far as stories go and they dumbed it down even more than it already was.

They should have started with Arthas.
    What actually hurt it is them bastardizing the story as opposed to sticking with what was already there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzyorcborne View Post
    What actually hurt it is them bastardizing the story as opposed to sticking with what was already there.
    Which wasn't really much, in all honesty.
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    Which wasn't really much, in all honesty.
    True, so why change the story at all then. should have kept it as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper Zanjin View Post
    Doesn't look like tracer but okay

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Metzen's departure was another bad sign, both for the possibility of a sequel and the perceived value of the Warcraft IP going forward.
    I have a feeling his departure was tied in some way to how poorly the movie showed and in turn he probably sees no way for his baby to get a sequel. A number of the times I'd have loved to been a fly on the wall in some of those conversations before the movie and after when metzen was involved.

The good thing for him is he gets paid no matter how the movie does or at least that's how it works for most involved in the writing. He made out like a bandit, movie flopped and not long after he leaves blizz. I'd love to know some of those inside details.

The original story didn't mean much in the context of the movie. The changes they've made were overwhelmingly good.

I can pretty much guarantee you that you will never get a closer adaptation of Warcraft 1 than this movie.

It's really difficult to adapt a video game, particularly an RTS, even if you don't take into account the fact that the game's lore has been retconned to the point of being unrecogniseable by Warcraft III and WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, keep in mind that the biggest chance of all have been the inclusion of Durotan in the WC1 story. And Durotan (plus the Orc performances in general) has been the most compelling and appreciated element of the movie by far. Just sayin'.