Quote Originally Posted by Romano View Post
    Do you guys really dub foreign movies in your countries ?
    Yeah. Usually things like accent, slang and subtlety are lost in the process, but sometimes, when some actors don't have a particularly interesting voice, the dubbing adds a new layer to their characters.

An example in spanish would be Bruce Willis. I don't find his real voice unique in any way, but the guy who always voices him in spanish is great. Like, really, really good. And now that man is voicing Soldier 76, which means I get to play Overwatch as Bruce Willis.
    Last edited by Soulwind; 2016-05-21 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deloctyte View Post
    Yes, duh. In fact, the only way I'll be watching the movie is in 2d with Hungarian subs, as every other screening is dubbed. Quite a few countries don't generally speak English well enough to enjoy movies in them. It's a financially sound thing to do, even if it irks me to no end. I really wanted to IMAX this bad boy.
    We dont do that in mine, thankfully, because I would cringe at our voice actors trying to sound believable and fitting for the roles. (plus the lip-sync)

They do it for animated ones and they are do a fine job since most are comedies anyway and we have passable voice actors in that department.
    Last edited by Romano; 2016-05-21 at 08:30 PM.

Deleted
    Do you guys really dub foreign movies in your countries ?
    Yes, everything here is dubbed because most people don't know a single word of English. We have the best voice actors in the world though, and sometimes their voices are better than the originals, so I'm not complaining.

For example, compare the original voice of Vincent D'Onofrio in Daredevil (/watch?v=jAy6NJ_D5vU) and the dubbed version (/watch?v=FGh24lNQs0g). This dubber is amazing and one of my all times favourites.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Yeah. Usually things like accent, slang and subtlety are lost in the process, but sometimes, when some actors don't have a particularly interesting voice, the dubbing adds a new layer to their characters.

An example in spanish would be Bruce Willis. I don't find his real voice unique in any way, but the guy who always voices him in spanish is great. Like, really, really good. And now that man is voicing Soldier 76, which means I get to play Overwatch as Bruce Willis.
    Yeah, in Italy too there are some voices who are really great, even better than the famous actors they dub.
    Viggo Mortensen even phone-called Pino Insegno (Aragorn dubber) praising his dubbing on LotR trilogy

Quote Originally Posted by Speedhoven View Post
    Yes, everything here is dubbed because most people don't know a single word of English. We have the best voice actors in the world though, and sometimes their voices are better than the originals, so I'm not complaining.

For example, compare the original voice of Vincent D'Onofrio in Daredevil (/watch?v=jAy6NJ_D5vU) and the dubbed version (/watch?v=FGh24lNQs0g). This dubber is amazing and one of my all times favourites.
    Even if people dont speak English, wouldnt simple subs help ?

Thats boring, we want to watch movies not read text.

Deleted
    I don't know. It's always been like that here. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING is dubbed here. It's a business. It's almost impossible to find a cinema that shows movies in their original language.

However, when I watch movies and TV shows on my own, I usually go for the English version with English subs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    I've watched enough anime to call bullshit on that argument.

They're incredibly distracting if you're not used to them. When you have a dubbing industry that has been giving people translated movies for most of movie history, they simply take it for granted. Most people don't even care about the original voices.

Deleted
    I think it's pretty annoying to constantly watch a film and reading subtitles, especially in movies based on great visuals. It's kidna distracting. But sometimes they make showings with original voices and subs, but rarely

- - - Updated - - -

But when I have the BluRay, I usually watch the movie in both italian and original voices

Deleted
    The money is where the masses are. Hungary had a good record of dubs for a while (we turned the Flintstones into something watchable by making every line of dialogue rhyme), but for the last few years, the quality has been "eh". Not that I'd notice, as I do my best to go for the original language if I can help it. :P

We have gotten used to it I guess.
    Plus for fantasy or sci-fi movies who have special terminology it would be weird to be dubbed.

We have gotten sued to it I guess.
    Plus for fantasy or sci-fi movies who have special terminology it would be weird to be dubbed.
    They wont go as far as translating khadgars spells from arcane into german .

But Stormwind will be Sturmwind.. such change.

When I watch a movie with good visuals I want to see them and not look down to the text, imho its annoying and distracting.
    Last edited by lonely zergling; 2016-05-21 at 08:41 PM.

It's a bit more extreme for other languages, but then again, WoW is translated and dubbed, and has been for years. People are used to those names, not the originals.

Deleted
    Haha, yeah sure, dubbing is better than subs...

I'm just thankful i live in a country where we get subtitles and the original voices.

Quote Originally Posted by shuma View Post
    Haha, yeah sure, dubbing is better than subs...

I'm just thankful i live in a country where we get subtitles and the original voices.
    Maybe our dubbing standards in germany are higher, we have some really nice voice actors who make a good living out of this job. Bruce willis german voice is way better than original for example.

Darth vader voice actor was 1000x better in german too btw . Dont need black people for deep voices.

Deleted
    Names translations in French are usually terrible, but everything is always dubbed here too. But we can get the version with sub if we want.

Not that
    But a lot of terminology concerning the universe itself.
    For example there isnt exactly a differnt word for warlock or mage in my language and other such words would seem weird.

Not that
    But a lot of terminology concerning the universe itself.
    For example there isnt exactly a differnt word for warlock or mage in my language and other such words would seem weird.
    I take it WoW hasn't been localized to your language? Otherwise you'd already be used to them being called that way by now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    erroneous, false, untrue, wrong, incorrect, faulty, flawed, inaccurate, inexact, imprecise, mistaken, misinformed, misguided, misleading, deceptive, delusive, delusory, illusory, sophistic, specious, fictitious, spurious, fabricated, distorted, made up, trumped up;
    baseless, groundless, unfounded, foundationless, unsubstantiated, unproven, unsupported, uncorroborated, ill-founded, without basis, without foundation

From the Oxford English dictionaries list of synonyms. See what number 2 is?
    Doesn't matter if that was not the meaning he used.