10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post

If it's any comfort, this review is also 100% accurate.
    Oh, you. Almost forgot about you.

Gonna amend. Right to the ignore list you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post

If it's any comfort, this review is also 100% accurate.
    Pretty sure 90% of fans and 75% of the general audience disagree

Just saying. Not everyone hate this movie :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    By the way, do you want to read a fantastic review? Go, read this one.

You would feel bad for giving a click to this, as you should. But the laughs are guaranteed.
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.

I am just surprised how many negative reviews this movie is getting... does the "flaws" really outperform the goods so much? Because at least some of them are praising a lot of things, but the flaws are really dragging down their scores...

I just think its weird. So many people have left the cinema with a smile on their face and excitement for more. How come so many didn't? Did they go in, expecting something different? Did they go in without taking anything serious or giving it a chance? I'd really like to have someone analyzing the overall critical reception and figure out what exactly is the huge problem with the movie. A lot of the okay/good reviewers are even agreeing with us that some reviews are bashing the movie too much... pretty much everyone, even the ones who liked the movie, has agreed that the one problem is the pacing and cut scenes...

Is it just because it is a video game movie that they are bashing it so much?

And what about the sequels? Will they bash them too, even if they fix the problems they expressed about this one?
    Last edited by Tornwar; 2016-06-09 at 01:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Check my past post history, it was always going to be trashed by critics, always, it had too many things against it. And as result mostly U.S audiances will follow through to what they say (without seeing it ofcourse), meaning WoM will mostly rally on the general audiance, which is harder to identify at first glance.

Deleted
    This movie could never win with critics, because a lot of them are so drunk on LotR or GoT, they are unwilling to accept Warcraft's kind of fantasy. Either it's a good emulation of the style and aesthetic and get shit reviews, or it's gritty and down to earth which would please the critics, but then no longer being faithful to Warcraft. It's a loss-loss situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tornwar View Post
    I can confirm this as well. First time you watch it to experience the story and try and figure out the characters. Second time, just focus on everything you feel you missed

Also another easter egg is the meeting stone in the forest. Look to the left once the forest scene begins and you will notice it (hopefully)

Sweet. Thanks. Anyone caught the SAM RAIMI Easter Egg?

Jones also teased that he even gives a nod to Sam Raimi, who initially had his job on the film before he had to bow out.

"There's a Raimi Easter Egg in there as well - a little doff of the cap to him," Jones teased.
    http://comicbook.com/2015/11/07/warc...s-easter-eggs/

Well I am very happy that something justiceful and good did come out of all of this. Because people are going in and watching this movie, despite the reviews. And a lot of general audience reactions and reviews are positive. If you are a fan, bring your friends and family. Tell them to tell their friends about the movie and let them experience it!

You can criticize this movie as much as you want, but if people go in and have a great and fun time, then the critics opinions doesn't mean sh*t. They are critics after all, they've seen it all before. They aren't impressed. That's their own fault

Quote Originally Posted by Anduin94 View Post
    It's not that with a 16% RT is a bad site and with a 60% it's a good site.
    RT remains a thing that is rarely reliable to judge a movie, but if it goes to 60% I'm happy because there are many people who think RT is reliable and a reason to go see a movie if the score is Fresh
    Basically Rotten Tomatoes works like this. If the movie is something you don't care about one way or the other you take the reviews seriously. If the movie is something you are invested in (like this movie) you dismiss the reviews and say they are not reliable.

Basically it sounds like it does not matter. This movie is basically a Chinese movie and while it looks like it is generally crap, the Chinese have more then enough raw inertia to force this movie into profitability.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyattbw09 View Post
    Basically Rotten Tomatoes works like this. If the movie is something you don't care about one way or the other you take the reviews seriously. If the movie is something you are invested in (like this movie) you dismiss the reviews and say they are not reliable.

Basically it sounds like it does not matter. This movie is basically a Chinese movie and while it looks like it is generally crap, the Chinese have more then enough raw inertia to force this movie into profitability.
    It isn't generally crap, though.

Nice straw man there. He's explicitly stating that he only cares for the score to be higher if ONLY to bring more people to watch it. Some people are undoubtedly going to refrain from watching a certain movie based on the RT scoring. What he means (and this is clear unless your reading comprehension is severely lacking or you willfully ignore it to use a straw man to propel your own agenda) is that if the score is higher - more people watch it, higher chance of sequels basically. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Orivaa View Post
    It isn't generally crap, though.
    You know, I bet the general consensus among the Scientologist community was that Battlefield Earth was a brilliant movie that brought their ideas to life and that the unwashed peasants just did not get it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jotun View Post
    Nice straw man there. He's explicitly stating that he only cares for the score to be higher if ONLY to bring more people to watch it. Some people are undoubtedly going to refrain from watching a certain movie based on the RT scoring. What he means (and this is clear unless your reading comprehension is severely lacking or you willfully ignore it to use a straw man to propel your own agenda) is that if the score is higher - more people watch it, higher chance of sequels basically. Cheers.
    It seems to me it was clear that I thought it would likely get a sequel, because the Chinese market alone is going to drive this movie forward irrespective of how much of a piece of crap this movie might actually be.

Deleted
    You know, I bet the general consensus among the Scientologist community was that Battlefield Earth was a brilliant movie that brought their ideas to life and that the unwashed peasants just did not get it.
    I'm very, veeery willing to take you up on that bet.
    But you know, as someone who has seen the movie twice and enjoyed it both times (didn't pay either time, so don't accuse me of a having a monetary investment), I'm just gonna go ahead and say that I know more about it than you. I've also seen plenty of anecdotal evidence from non-fans that the movie is enjoyable. (I'm bringing that up because anecdotal evidence is all anyone's got)

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems to me it was clear that I thought it would likely get a sequel, because the Chinese market alone is going to drive this movie forward irrespective of how much of a piece of crap this movie might actually be.
    Considered how well the movie did so far internationally (aka, outside of US) it's way too convenient just shift all the "blame" on the Chinese market ya know. If anything, it's just a compensation for how (supposedly) poorly this movie could do domestically.

Hello MMO-Champion! I just got back home from watching the Warcraft movie. Let me tell you something, I was amazed at the amount of people were there. I was just expecting a few handful + My friends (about 9, 7 with no warcraft experience and the other 2 from only Hearthstone). I wanted this movie to do so well and I was very determined to defend it. About 80% of the Auditorium was filled up. I expected like 15% in all honesty. The only problem I have with the movie is that it leaves you wanting more. Those were the fastest two hours of my life. Overheard people wanting to see it a second and even a third time. Oh and one thing, I didn't hear Leeroy can someone please point it out so I can spot it next time I see the movie (Friday and Saturday). For those that don't know whether you should watch the movie, please watch it.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol, there is already links up for the Movie to be stream, and in very good quality. Just saw it, as a fan of WoW, I hope it succeeds and loved it BUT, as a fan of the Warcraft RTS (1, 2, 3) It was crap.

I hate players that suck at WoW, But I also hate wanna be elitist who barely down normal raid and said that the game is too easy...... yea show me you mythic achivement before you say its too easy otherwise move along scum, because I heard wildstar need you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
    Lol, there is already links up for the Movie to be stream, and in very good quality. Just saw it, as a fan of WoW, I hope it succeeds and loved it BUT, as a fan of the Warcraft RTS (1, 2, 3) It was crap.
    With no evidence, I don't believe you.

Quote Originally Posted by Taro10 View Post
    Hello MMO-Champion! I just got back home from watching the Warcraft movie. Let me tell you something, I was amazed at the amount of people were there. I was just expecting a few handful + My friends (about 9, 7 with no warcraft experience and the other 2 from only Hearthstone). I wanted this movie to do so well and I was very determined to defend it. About 80% of the Auditorium was filled up. I expected like 15% in all honesty. The only problem I have with the movie is that it leaves you wanting more. Those were the fastest two hours of my life. Overheard people wanting to see it a second and even a third time. Oh and one thing, I didn't hear Leeroy can someone please point it out so I can spot it next time I see the movie (Friday and Saturday). For those that don't know whether you should watch the movie, please watch it.
    Where(what country) did you see it may I ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Tornwar View Post
    I am just surprised how many negative reviews this movie is getting... does the "flaws" really outperform the goods so much? Because at least some of them are praising a lot of things, but the flaws are really dragging down their scores...

Is it just because it is a video game movie that they are bashing it so much?
    It's a video game movie, and a fantasy movie with lots of CGI at that. Not just that, but it's heavily associated with popular nerd culture. It has everything going against it.

Since The Lord of the Rings is the unbeatable gold standard for fantasy movies, it's nearly impossible for any other movie that even remotely resembles it to compete with that, as critics will unfairly compare the two, and The Lord of the Rings will always win. It's as a classic trilogy that has grown in people's minds and is almost above criticism at this point. Points are automatically deducted for that. Then there's the Game of Thrones comparisons. Game of Thrones is a global cultural phenomenon, and almost no movie is going to top that. Also, a movie with a two-hour runtime will never compare to the world building and character development in such a series, plus it will never be as gritty. More points deducted. So now your movie can't be high fantasy like The Lord of the Rings, it can't take elements from Tolkien's works, despite most fantasy stuff borrowing from that, and if it's not gritty and dark, it won't hold up to Game of Thrones. Before anyone has even seen it, the movie is already at a disadvantage.

A fair number of film critics are snobs. They will rate arthouse films highly regardless of quality, because they feel it is the proper thing to do as a film critic. Conversely, many critics have already made up their mind about "inferior" pop culture movies, especially if said movies are based on something they perceive as infantile, like video games. There still has not been a major shift in this mentality. While the number of younger critics who can look past this particular bias is growing, many critics are still not particularly in touch with video games. This is quite evident from the reviews for Warcraft. Almost all "top" critics state they have never played Warcraft, with many not even knowing that the movie is not based on the MMO. Had the movie been based on a succesful book series, you can be guaranteed such a mistake would not be made, and many critics would not admit to not being familiar with the books, since reading is regarded as intellectual, and video games are not. Points deducted.

So that brings us to the perceived connection to World of Warcraft. It's the bigest MMORPG ever. Everyone knows it. Everyone associates it with nerd/geek culture. It's become so mainstream that even among gamers the old hipster mentality has kicked in, because anything that stays mainstream for too long is automatically bad. As we've clearly seen, many who are not familiar with Warcraft or gaming in general will associate the movie with the MMO. Points deducted. So to summarize, before the movie is even out:

- Points deducted for being a video game movie
    - Points deducted for being a high fantasy movie that is not The Lord of the Rings
    - Points deducted for being a fantasy movie that is not as gritty or in-depth as the Game of Thrones series
    - Points deducted for heavy use of CGI (Because it's just "one big computer!")
    - Points deducted for the movie being perceived as derivative of Tolkien's works
    - Points deducted for being associated with nerd/geek stigmas
    - Points deducted for people thinking it's based on an MMO that could be perceived as being past its prime

Even if the movie was terrific, it would likely still not be rated as highly as it should be.

- - - Updated - - -

If it makes more than 500 Million overall it means it attracted the fanbase and good part of the "general audience".

We will have to wait.