Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Obama Executive Amnesty Blocked by Federal Judge

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...obama-amnesty/

A federal judge late Monday halted President Obama’s deportation amnesty, ruling he overstepped his powers in trying to grant legal status and “benefits and privileges” to millions of illegal immigrants, in a stunning decision that chides the president and throws the White House’s plans into disarray just a day before applications were to be accepted.

“The DHS was not given any ‘discretion by law’ to give 4.3 million removable aliens what the DHS itself labels as ‘legal presence,’ ” Judge Hanen wrote in issuing an injunction. “In fact, the law mandates that these illegally-present individuals be removed. The DHS has adopted a new rule that substantially changes both the status and employability of millions. These changes go beyond mere enforcement or even non-enforcement of this nation’s immigration scheme."
    Use whatever variation of 'owned' suits your fancy.

Indeed. "Owned". Now we can resume not prioritizing criminals over families.

At least someone took the time to stop this train wreck from happening.

Now we'll hear about how disappointed Obama is in all of us for allowing this to happen.
    Freedom. And Justice. If you have those two, it covers everything. You must stick to those principles and have the courage of your convictions.
    -Ian Smith

its about time someone did something correct

Its not amnesty..
    And they will win the appeal

Pointless right wing bait thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    And they will win the appeal
    Share with us your knowledge of the case and how you're certain they'll win the appeal.

Here's an article that's not propaganda sourced directly from brietbart.com.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/17/politi...on-injunction/

Here is what is being blocked: http://www.nilc.org/dapa&daca.html

"the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) would not deport certain undocumented parents of U.S. citizens and parents of lawful permanent residents (LPRs). The president also announced an expansion of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program for youth who came to the United States as children. Under a directive from the secretary of DHS, these parents and youth may be granted a type of temporary permission to stay in the U.S. called “deferred action.” These programs are expected to help up to 4.4 million people, according to the Department of Homeland Security."

Its not amnesty, no matter how the right wants to keep pushing it. It's a temporary stay of deporation.
    Last edited by Rukh; 2015-02-17 at 06:08 PM.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Oh yay, maybe this will be like ACA 2.0 where the GOP spends the better part of the next X years fighting it for no other reason than, "Obama".
    It's like ACA 2.0 in that it was poorly thought out.

Of course makes sense, why would we want to legitimize the 8 million illegal immigrants that make up 5% of the US workforce so they can pay taxes?!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be happier if "the executive branch is not allowed to ignore its duty to enforce the law" applied to finance-sector fraud and other lawbreaking...
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    From your own article" He also argues that Obama's executive action goes beyond the scope of prosecutorial discretion by "bestowing benefits," which is more than "non-enforcement."

"The Court seriously doubts that the Supreme Court, in holding non-enforcement decisions to be presumptively unreviewable, anticipated that such "non-enforcement" decisions would include the affirmative act of bestowing multiple, otherwise unobtainable benefits upon an individual," Hanen wrote."

The President is providing services and privileges he doesn't have the authority to grant. Appealing to emotion or saying the judge is mean to immigrant families isn't much of a rebuttal.
    Did I say somewhere that he didn't claim that? Am I posting in my sleep somewhere?
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Good

I don't know why the Obama Administration ever thought it would be a good idea to circumvent congress and push its over the top amnesty agenda.

If the people wanted it, they would vote in representatives that support the cause.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    This is a troubling development for the administration, since their chief defence was to argue that nobody has standing to sue, not to defend the executive order on merits. Still this is only the beginning of a long fight through the courts. A fight that will now almost certainly end at the supreme court. Which will probably not rule on the case before Obama is out of office.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdeii View Post
    They actually wouldn't pay taxes. Assuming they keep minimum-wage like jobs, they'll merely gain the benefits that go along with being a citizen while only paying social security and whatnot. Since they gain benefits from the 'taxes' they'd pay, and their income wouldn't be high enough to pay into the real taxes that are allocated for the non-social welfare programs, it wouldn't really help us at all to give them citizenship.

Just saying.
    I think they would also be eligible to get the EITC, which is horse poo. (I think the whole idea of EITC is crap, but that a different argument.)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...obama-amnesty/

Use whatever variation of 'owned' suits your fancy.
    Yes let's entertain the idea of deporting 10 million illegal immigrants and at the same time increasing the amount of border patrol officers and building 2000 miles of fencing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Good

I don't know why the Obama Administration ever thought it would be a good idea to circumvent congress and push its over the top amnesty agenda.

If the people wanted it, they would vote in representatives that support the cause.
    They do want it, hence the reason why congress' approval rating is at what 12%?
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Yes let's entertain the idea of deporting 10 million illegal immigrants and at the same time increasing the amount of border patrol officers and building 2000 miles of fencing.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the approval comes from congress's tendency to do very little productive legislation, and just cockblock whoever is in power instead. Also, people always think its the other legislators that the problem, and not their own perosnal representative.

Good

Its not amnesty, its delay of prosecution. And actually the executive branch does have plenty of interpretation on how it prosecutes the law and what is assigned to what priority. If you remember, he also stated marijuana prosecution would be low priority.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd argue that thy don't or else we'd see more congressmen in favor of the Obama style Amnesty...which they aren't.

Besides, that's a pretty crap argument, theres more to a low approval rating then just one issue.

Sounds like a great idea!

15+ Year Old Account
    Good

That implies that representation is actually based on support for individuals' platforms. It would be nice if we could actually live in a country were politics weren't driven by fear mongering (specifically xenophobia), nostalgia for something that never existed, and blind, at times almost fanatical, party loyalty. But I know it's a lot to ask when making people afraid is a hell of a lot easier than actually convincing people that your policies would be best for your constituents.

OT: Realistically, this isn't going to change a lot of lives. The reason we have so many illegal aliens is because they're at the bottom of the food chain for our economy, it's in nobody's best interest to actually get rid of them. It's also not going to be in the upper echelon's best interest in actually granting them rights or recognizing them as workers rather than criminals because treating brown people like...people is an expensive proposition.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.