Need Help Analyzing our Holy Paladin

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ling&source=10

I chose this log as it was a wipe at 31k (Darmac, wipe #2), so in my mind this is a representation of where any improvement means a boss kill.

Hey guys. I'm the raid leader of a reforming guild and I'm taking stock off all our players to find out where the big problems lie. I'm posting here to get some insight into what our holy paladin needs to improve on. I don't play a healer myself, so I"m not the best one to give advice since I have 0 expereience here. I've taken a quick look at the sidebar and have just taken a few notes.

One of our big problems is our healers go OOM very quickly. This is no doubt in part due to higher damage taken than needed, longer boss fights because of subpar dps, etc, but healing is part of it, but I'm just being sure that we're giving everything a look. When looking at our paladin versus the top rated paladin at the same boss (Darmac), I'm noticing some big differences. Primarily that he uses flash of light a lot more than the top rated paladin (72 vs 4) In the stickied guide it has flash as more of an emergency heal that is costly, so this is probably something to work on (though, undoubtedly, our group will have a lot more "emergency" stuff for now, so he will probably need to hit it a bit more.

Our Paladin also seems to be missing holy shocks, as he got around 20 less in about a minute longer fight.

I'm seeing 0 light of dawns out of our paladin, but the sticky suggests using it for sacred shield builds instead of eternal flame builds, so I'm not really sure where this should be in his priority; Should he be focusing 100% on keeping a better uptime on eternal flame, or should he be throwing out LoD's more as well?

The other huge disparity is in the massive amount of disparity in Eternal flame uptime (32 vs 99.6%) and Illuminated Healing Uptime. It looks like Illuminated healing comes directly from eternal flame so that would make sense.

These are just the things I notice from knowing absolutely nothing about holy paladins. Sorry I didn't put more into the OP. I'm on a tight work schedule this week and need to figure things out before the weekend. Some insight from you experienced Raid leaders and holy paladins if you would be so kind! Thanks!

Flash of Light is the problem, there is no way FoL should be your top heal (Especially on a fight that can be considerably long). In my raid I might use Flash of Light 2-4 times in an average fight, or up to 10-20 times in a fight where there is an intense healing phase. There is one unique situation where Flash of Light will be your top direct heal, and that is when you are forced to heal a tank (Casting Flash of Light is less mana intensive when casting it on a beaconed target). Personally I've never been a big fan of raids leaving their holy paladins on a tank, let the beacons do their work healing the tanks. Only heal them directly if they are up shit creek.

Only use Holy Light and use Flash of Light to get someone out of an 'oh shit' situation or if healers are falling behind on something like Tantrum. Flash of Light shouldn't be included part of the 'normal' rotation.

Also another thing for your Paladin to watch out for is Holy Power Wastage. Over the entire raid he wasted 73 Holy Power our of 853 used. It's not absolutely terrible, but it is something certainly note worthy for your paladin to consider to improve upon. Although Eternal Flame is a reasonably powerful heal, I personally try to make the most of them as they are essentially a 'free' heal (It doesn't cost mana, only Holy Power). In that last fight, your paladin missed out essentially on 3 free heals (In terms of power, eternal flame heals for about the same as holy light in terms of burst, the HoT component is an added bonus).

Eternal Flame also isn't one of those things which you keep a track on uptime (At least I don't). The heal itself from eternal flame is fairly weak, and I wouldn't worry to much about keeping it up on a tank like you would with lifebloom as wasting the burst heal component on overhealing would equate to a net loss in healing. That being said, I do try my best to cast eternal flame on unique raid members each time, I will try not to refresh an eternal flame until it has fully expired... nothing to much to worry about though.

Light of Dawn and Holy Radiance can be ok to use situationally. Light of Dawn is an "OK" heal when 6+ raid members need healing. Holy Radiance is "OK" when everyone is taking raid wide damage and are clumped but it is incredibly mana innefficient. If I saw a paladin not cast either of those 2 spells in any encounter I probably wouldn't judge them to harshly, I know some people even opt out of even having Holy Radiance on their toolbars. You don't bring a Holy Paladin for raid heals :P
    Last edited by blug; 2015-02-18 at 03:10 AM.

Your HPally needs to cast Holy Prism a LOT more - in most cases, on cooldown (20s) or when the melee group is < 90% HP. It should always be cast on the boss/an add to maximise the healing output.

I would expect anywhere between 25 - 31 (the max for the fight length) casts. Not 2.

I'd also recommend enchanting their neck, running Sanctified Wrath (instead of DP), and casting a lot more Holy Lights.

Deleted
    he cast holy prism 19 times in the fight. 17 times on an enemy, 2 times on a friendly player.
    still a bit low.

WAY too many Flash of Light casts. should be <10

not enough Holy shock, did 81, possible would be about 100

used lay on hands for 26k (wth?)

uses divine purpose, should be sanctified wrath

didnt use merciful wrath glyph, bad, especially for this fight

Quote Originally Posted by DarknessDrake View Post
    he cast holy prism 19 times in the fight. 17 times on an enemy, 2 times on a friendly player.
    still a bit low.

WAY too many Flash of Light casts. should be <10

used lay on hands for 26k (wth?)

uses divine purpose, should be sanctified wrath

didnt use merciful wrath glyph, bad, especially for this fight
    I think everyone has fucked up a lay on hands. Mostly due to a heal coming in just before you cast it.

He used AW twice, could be 3, or 7-8 with MW glyph.

He used his trinket and devotion aura once.

He never used divine protection (not hps issue, but general issue).

He never used speed of light, unless he was a pylon the entire fights this is a minor hps loss.

He cast more eternal flames than possible. He had 82 HP from HS, which is 27 EF's and 12 DP procs, which equals to 39. He had 53 EF casts, meaning he is wasting time casting weak heals.

And all of the above.

For reference our last heroic beastlord kill (8 min 18 sec) I had:

113 holy shocks
    37 eternal flames
    21 holy prisms
    6 avenging wraths
    4 trinket uses
    3 flash of lights
    143 holy lights

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarknessDrake View Post
    I'd be expecting 110+ due to Empowered Holy Shock.

Yeah, what pretty much everyone has parroted in here already.

Too much Flash of Light, not enough Holy Shock, Not enough Holy Prism, casting Eternal Flame at <3 HP.

Also, I just went in and looked at his resources:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...e=10&spell=109

He somehow managed to waste holy power when he's that slow at generating it and inefficient at using it.

Quote Originally Posted by blug View Post
    I think everyone has fucked up a lay on hands. Mostly due to a heal coming in just before you cast it.
    could also be he was just doing it for the mana return if he glyphed divinity