I'm not sure how to play WoW?

I started off and completed the tutorial. I entered the Alliance city went outside and started doing some quests. Am I supposed to just level up with these quests so I can go to new areas? Or Is there a main quest or something I should be doing? thanks.

You can follow quests to guide you, or you can wander around. Whatever you prefer. Just beware of venturing into places where the mobs are too high level for you - they will kill you

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Andoru View Post
    I started off and completed the tutorial. I entered the Alliance city went outside and started doing some quests. Am I supposed to just level up with these quests so I can go to new areas? Or Is there a main quest or something I should be doing? thanks.
    That would be Elywnn Forest, probably (unless you walked into Ironforge). That's the 1 - 10 zone. Breadcrumb quests will lead you to Westfall, next, then Redridge, Duskwood, and so on. By then it should be pretty easy.

Questing is the primary way to level, and it very quick and very easy (compared to what it used to be years ago). At level 15 you can queue up for dungeons but since you're new to the game, I'd be careful to pick just a damage-dealer (dps) role. Tanking and healing require experience.

If I'm not mistaken, you can go to the continent view (where you can see all of Eastern Kingdoms) and mousing over zones will tell you the levels of the creatures in that zone, so you can identify safe places to level (and also, the quests will be in that level range too!)

10+ Year Old Account
    I would suggest joining a leveling guild they are generally friendly and answer any questions and you will usually find someone to level up with.

1-10 stick in elwynn forest to get the hang of things
    10 - pick your class spec and try some bgs (group pvp)
    10-15 - either go to westfall if you like the general human theme or try to venture out and find other low level areas (dwarf,nelf,spacegoat) if you are brave
    15- try some dungeons (group pve)
    15-60 finish quests in relevant zones
    60-70 moe to outland
    70-80 move to northrend
    80-85- move to cataclysm zones
    85-90- move to pandaria
    90-100 - move to draenor (past version of outland)
    100 Raid/ arena/ rbg/ collect stuff

10+ Year Old Account
    A free leveling Guide to WoW
    1-60

These should get you started.

There isn't a named "main quest", but each zone has a storyline that you will work through as you level. Just do whatever quests grab your attention, and be confident that you will run out of things to do except the "main story" eventually. (or skip it, and just do whatever. you don't *have* to finish the story in a zone to level up or whatevs.)

Deleted
    There isn't a main storyline that leads you from zone to zone, but there generally is an overarching story in each zone. Usually when you're done with a zone, you get sent to the next. It's Elwynn ->Westfall->Redridge->Duskwood for starters. Also there's a board in Stormwind where you can pick up quests to enter new zones. There's also one in Ironforge that should send you to other zones, but you can also just directly go to the zones and start there. You can also go to Kalimdor. You can basically go wherever you want to. You can check the map and see the level range there.