10+ Year Old Account

Explanation of the price difference between heroes?

Anyone know why some are 5 times the value of another?

Trying to figure out what's the best way to buy heroes if they go down in price over time it's best to hold off for example.

There really is no set logic behind it, other than that new heroes will always be 15k for 2 weeks and then go down to 10k. Other than it's a mix between difficulty and release date, but there's a ton of exceptions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butthurt Beluga View Post
    people are pretty forced to buy Heroes with real money

Huh? Forced? How bout play any of the many free heroes in rotation each week. Or spending some earned gold on a Hero (maybe after waiting for a sale?). Sure...if you want every hero you will likely need to spend some cash (or wait a real long time, as gold gains slow down a lot after initial levelling), but you don't need all the heroes. You really don't need ANY heroes, but realistically you can get by free and easy by playing the free heroes and then carefully spending a little gold on 1-3 heroes you know you really enjoy playing.

Or spend your cash, because y'know...you're 'pretty forced' to do so.
    "Brevity is...wit"

The thing is, the newer the hero the more expensive it is. So newer heroes are 10-15k, while older ones are cheaper. Heroes get cheaper as new heroes are released, so I'll assume they'll try to keep a balanced number of roles and difficulties on every price range.

Which makes more sense than "lol they pick randomly".

So on short, if you plan to buy a hero but there's one that's about to be released, it's better to wait because the one you want might go cheaper. And a hero's cost has nothing to do about how good they are, Valla and Malfurion are pretty solid and 2k gold.
    Last edited by Sorissa; 2015-02-18 at 08:26 PM.

Thing is, you aren't forced to buy heroes with money.

Its like Hearthstone, you don't NEED to pay money to get everything, but it just speeds up the process.

Theres no correct way to buy heroes imo, the main point is to play everyone a few times and see how good your feel is for them, which then leads you on to saving the gold or buying the hero outright.

Eh. It's not hard to make some money. I started playing last week and by leveling each free hero to lvl 5 I made around 9K gold in total. That's with around 9 heroes leveled to 5. You can make 3500 gold each week by leveling free heroes to lvl 5.

Then there's dailies and account level up.

Should be enough to buy 2-3 heroes you'll main as.

i bought raynor asap cuz he's raynor and I am now saving up for Thrall.

1) Mostly random.
    2) New heroes seem to be $15 for a few weeks and then get reduced down to $10 or so.
    3) Every week there's a half price sale, great time to pick them up if you're interested in buying those heroes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by r3d3mpt10n View Post
    Thing is, you aren't forced to buy heroes with money.

Its like Hearthstone, you don't NEED to pay money to get everything, but it just speeds up the process.

Theres no correct way to buy heroes imo, the main point is to play everyone a few times and see how good your feel is for them, which then leads you on to saving the gold or buying the hero outright.
    HotS is way less demanding for real cash than Hearthstone is imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    1) Mostly random.
    2) New heroes seem to be $15 for a few weeks and then get reduced down to $10 or so.
    3) Every week there's a half price sale, great time to pick them up if you're interested in buying those heroes.
    No hero is ever $15, only some exclusive skins are.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesane View Post
    No hero is ever $15, only some exclusive skins are.
    My bad, think I confused myself with the 15k gold price.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright seems it is and thanks for the reddit link. It is a bit annoying that some items are unobtainable by anything but money such as the mounts but as long skins remain farmable you get something out of playing long term.

The prices are pretty random yeah exept for the new heroes being 15k for a bit and then drop to 10k. Good thing that a lot of the champions that are strong atm are in the 2k-4k gold range so easy to get a good line of heroes ready pretty quick. But if you're planing on spending real money in HotS for heroes get a 30 day stim pack probably 1 of the best ways price wise atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Alright seems it is and thanks for the reddit link. It is a bit annoying that some items are unobtainable by anything but money such as the mounts but as long skins remain farmable you get something out of playing long term.
    Only Master Skins can be bought with gold, other skins are cash only.

Quote Originally Posted by dapperedodo View Post
    The prices are pretty random yeah exept for the new heroes being 15k for a bit and then drop to 10k. Good thing that a lot of the champions that are strong atm are in the 2k-4k gold range so easy to get a good line of heroes ready pretty quick. But if you're planing on spending real money in HotS for heroes get a 30 day stim pack probably 1 of the best ways price wise atm.
    You shouldn't get stim packs for anything other than farming XP or farming for master skins. You need to play so much for it to break even with just straight up buying a 10k hero that it's not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    All cosmetics cost real money other than the Piggy Bank mount, master skins and tint variations.

Some bundles are good value and the skins/heroes are cheap when they're in the weekly sale.

Long term use for gold - either buy all the master skins for your heroes or wait for them to release more :P

Quote Originally Posted by Lesane View Post
    Only Master Skins can be bought with gold, other skins are cash only.

You shouldn't get stim packs for anything other than farming XP or farming for master skins. You need to play so much for it to break even with just straight up buying a 10k hero that it's not worth it.
    Oke buying the stim pack only for gold isnt the best thing to do but the gold bonus and xp boost combined gives it a lot of value especially when you play a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by shokter View Post
    Or spending some earned gold on a Hero (maybe after waiting for a sale?).
    Just wanted to clarify this, in case people hadn't noticed - sales affect real money prices only, the gold cost remains the same whether the hero is on sale or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliessil View Post
    Just wanted to clarify this, in case people hadn't noticed - sales affect real money prices only, the gold cost remains the same whether the hero is on sale or not.
    Yeah I just realized this myself, thanks for for the correction. I went to buy Rehgar since I enjoyed playing him last week and saw he was on sale- but yeah, no gold price cut.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Quote Originally Posted by dapperedodo View Post
    Oke buying the stim pack only for gold isnt the best thing to do but the gold bonus and xp boost combined gives it a lot of value especially when you play a lot.
    Yeah of course it depends what you are after. If experience is irrelevant because you're 40 and don't care about master skins, then you're better off buying a 10k hero straight up. If you do want to level heroes or your account faster, or need gold for master skins then the stim pack is a good option.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's may be arbitrary or flavor related, similar to how some cards are rare in MTG cards but are not better.