Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Attempting to discredit anti-vaccination groups as homophobic is pathetic.
    Hopefully this will make more sense.

Code:
                                                d
                                                a
                              c                 e
    ---- my point --->        u                 h
                              z u         your ass
        your head             c  c              r
                              u z               u
                                                o
                                                y

That's a joke, mods! Don't infract me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asseymcgee View Post
    I don't know too much about vaccine's and how they lead or don't lead to cures so I must ask...if this vaccine ends up working (which it seems very likely from this article), will a cure be that much easier to create or does this not help that cause?
    Blocking receptors would not be an effective cure on someone already infected. In fact, it's generally considered risky to give someone with a compromised immune system (say, someone with HIV) a vaccine, and a bunch of other medicines. Any step towards ridding the planet of this blight is a good one, but this, mechanically, doesn't sound like progress towards a cure. Still, highly welcome news.

- - - Updated - - -

Attempting to discredit anti-vaccination groups as homophobic is pathetic.
    Um...he wouldn't be the first...

Big Pharma conspiracy theorists: you do realise there are hundreds if not thousands of independent research groups around the world (including many high-ranking universities) that are actively trying to find a cure or vaccination against HIV? Even outside the USA.

Not to mention the financial gain from actually curing HIV/AIDS (and the reputation!) would be so overwhelming that no pharmaceutical company would hold it back, ever.

Bonus point: with all the researchers involved, it would be pretty damn difficult suppressing such a huge piece of information.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeno View Post
    The FDA is pretty useless let's be honest.
    Glad you think so.

Meanwhile in reality they do a significant amount of work, even if they are underfunded. The Heparin debacle got them moving on some reforms to be more effective and efficient.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry thats the only implication I saw in his post.
    I believe *WHOOOOOOOOSH* is the appropriate sound to be made here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    Big Pharma conspiracy theorists: you do realise there are hundreds if not thousands of independent research groups around the world (including many high-ranking universities) that are actively trying to find a cure or vaccination against HIV? Even outside the USA.

Not to mention the financial gain from actually curing HIV/AIDS (and the reputation!) would be so overwhelming that no pharmaceutical company would hold it back, ever.

Bonus point: with all the researchers involved, it would be pretty damn difficult suppressing such a huge piece of information.
    This is also true for Cancer, Alzheimer, and everything else that people claim there is a cure for that big pharma is just sitting on.

Well I've heard a lot of speculative cures, let's wait until it passes human trials in like 5-10 years.

I've had 2 of my friends (we're all well-educated in STEM fields) tell me recently that HIV doesn't exist because they listened to a podcast and it was very convincing.

Apparently HIV-denial is a thing now. Big Pharma and all.
    I remember that from the 90s. Just another fringe conspiracy nut thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's hope it works.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I guess there are worse things than everyone becoming Neil Patrick Harris.
    dammnt... I wanted to be ripped like the Rock, not Neil Patrick Harris.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    He's not calling them homophobic.
    isn't implying homosexuality as a negative think inherently homophobic?

I've had 2 of my friends (we're all well-educated in STEM fields) tell me recently that HIV doesn't exist because they listened to a podcast and it was very convincing.

Apparently HIV-denial is a thing now. Big Pharma and all.

Stop the planet, I wanna leave.

To be more on-topic, it's about time we made some progress. I really hope we find a definite cure (or even a vaccination) during my lifetime.
    There's a South Park joke in here somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    I think it's just a jab at people who still think vaccines cause autism. As for the "homophobic" bit, I think something just got lost somewhere in that argument.

the reputation... sure. the money? treatments would probably be able to net more revenue instead of a cure. Just like some of those cheap pieces of junk are basically made to break at some point after the warranty is up (generic pieces of junk the 'cheap' stuff)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    dammnt... I wanted to be ripped like the Rock, not Neil Patrick Harris.

- - - Updated - - -

Is the Rock gay?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    I think it's just a jab at people who still think vaccines cause autism. As for the "homophobic" bit, I think something just got lost somewhere in that argument.
    Well it is. It's just that you won't find anybody who is against anti-vacciners willing to concede on that notion lest they lose face and think less of their pride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    I'm done here, why did I actually bother to give a serious reply on page 1 I guess this is a perfect example of why discussions on the internet are so fucking pointless
    Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist View Post
    Overthrowing governments is far different than trying to influence a population