[Balance] Starfall on 2 Targets Post Nerf?

So as we all know by now, Starfall is getting a 16.6% damage nerf. Has anyone done the math or sims to see if it will still be worth casting on 2 targets anymore or if we need 3+. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Restokin View Post
    So as we all know by now, Starfall is getting a 16.6% damage nerf. Has anyone done the math or sims to see if it will still be worth casting on 2 targets anymore or if we need 3+. Thanks!
    It will depend on your mastery and haste values. Here is Lappe's spreadsheet comparing Starfall vs Starsurge. Note this is without the nerf so just copy it over and change the SP of Starfall from 35% to 29.4%. It lets you see exactly at what point during the eclipse cycle it is more DPS to cast a Starsurge than a Starfall for however many targets there are. Really only relevant for 2 targets. Note it doesn't take into account the 2-piece bonus.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...uOk/edit#gid=0

For a more direct answer:

This is subject to change based on others gear level but today I will be using starfall on 2+ targets in lunar and 3+ on solar.

On a related not it looks like starfall's functionality to only hit dmoonfire'd targets by default didn't go live. So starfall and its glyph are acting as they did prior to the patch, despite tooltip changes.

Deleted
    Hai Restokin. Try look here in the thread called: 6.1 Starfall and Number of targets (I can't link sadly) . I tried to answer it, though it depends on your gear as Lericus mentioned.
    Mythiix answer is correct, that 3 target its always better, but on 2, it still can be better

I have to break the bubble on the doc that dude made, cuz it says SF is affected by haste, and it is not. It is ALWAYS doing dmg once a sec for 10 sec no matter how much haste u got

Thanks for the replies guys. It seems like the general rule of thumb is 2+ in lunar and 3+ in solar.

About the glyph, it definitely works as it says it should as of last night. I know this because I went through half a raid without it and my dps was suffering significantly. So apparently it must have been hotfixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Restokin View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. It seems like the general rule of thumb is 2+ in lunar and 3+ in solar.

About the glyph, it definitely works as it says it should as of last night. I know this because I went through half a raid without it and my dps was suffering significantly. So apparently it must have been hotfixed.
    Yeah weird thing happened to me last night. I was warned in advance by someone in my guild that the glyph wasn't working as intended and had the opposite affect. He was right, but suddenly I DC'ed mid raid and found that it was fixed on the next fight after I logged back on. Everything should be working as intended now.

Quote Originally Posted by Aboxofwine View Post
    Yeah weird thing happened to me last night. I was warned in advance by someone in my guild that the glyph wasn't working as intended and had the opposite affect. He was right, but suddenly I DC'ed mid raid and found that it was fixed on the next fight after I logged back on. Everything should be working as intended now.
    Yeah, of course I didn't figure it out until after Kromog, Beastlord, and Operator were dead. You would think I would figure it out right away when my dps was significantly lower than our other Boomkin's, but nope. I got it fixed for Gruul though, for all the cleave in that fight.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDalle View Post
    I have to break the bubble on the doc that dude made, cuz it says SF is affected by haste, and it is not. It is ALWAYS doing dmg once a sec for 10 sec no matter how much haste u got
    Where does it say that haste affects Starfall? The reason that haste is on the spreadsheet is because the value both of Starsurge and Starfire per second are affected by the GCD which is affected by haste. It's also important because the value of Starsurge includes both the damage from Starsurge and the resultant Wrath/Starfire empowerments which ARE affected by haste.
    Last edited by Lericus; 2015-02-25 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lericus View Post
    Where does it say that haste affects Starfall? The reason that haste is on the spreadsheet is because the value both of Starsurge and Starfire per second are affected by the GCD which is affected by haste. It's also important because the value of Starsurge includes both the damage from Starsurge and the resultant Wrath/Starfire empowerments which ARE affected by haste.
    If u add haste, the SP/sec is increased alot on the starfall, and it should not have that big of a difference on starfall since it is a 10sec spell and not an all the dmg at once like SS(yea I know the dmg increase on wrath and starfire), if u change the haste, the effect should be bigger on SS then starfall

Quote Originally Posted by DonDalle View Post
    If u add haste, the SP/sec is increased alot on the starfall, and it should not have that big of a difference on starfall since it is a 10sec spell and not an all the dmg at once like SS(yea I know the dmg increase on wrath and starfire), if u change the haste, the effect should be bigger on SS then starfall
    SP/Second in Starfalls case is linear with haste as starfalls stars arent affected by haste. Starsurge on the other hand is not because Starfires and Wraths cast after the Starsurge will deal different amount of damage based on haste (because of Sine-wave eclipse).