Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    You know I don't really care what a professional news-reader says honestly, but O'Reily is a huge bully so I can't pretend I'm not enjoying this.
    Did you enjoy it when brian williams got in trouble for being a blatant liar as well?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Up until this moment, everyone assumed Brian Williams was infallible - like the pope - his incorrect memory of his time in Afghanistan cast doubt, and now people suspect he may just be human: capable of error.

By contrast, Bill O'Reilly is just a parody of Steven Colbert, and as a host for the Faux News channel, people expect him to say silly things. Like that time he called a veteran a coward, and invoked his 'covering four wars with a pen' - from the safety of his studio.
    He isn't just a human; he is a pathological liar, and nothing he says can ever be given credence again.
    You're a towel.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Up until this moment, everyone assumed Brian Williams was infallible - like the pope - his incorrect memory of his time in Afghanistan cast doubt, and now people suspect he may just be human: capable of error.

By contrast, Bill O'Reilly is just a parody of Steven Colbert, and as a host for the Faux News channel, people expect him to say silly things. Like that time he called a veteran a coward, and invoked his 'covering four wars with a pen' - from the safety of his studio.
    Oh god.

You think he really "misremembered" something like that? He's been on record recanting that story for years now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Why exactly is he a pathological liar?
    Because he lies, pathologically? :P

- - - Updated - - -

I think bill o'reilly is a complete jackass, but to say brian williams is not on the same caliber? How can you trust ANYTHING he has ever said now? his katrina story is complete bullshit fluff to.

They should sue him for his contract money back.
    You're a towel.

Y'all are precious

10+ Year Old Account
    If he did, do you really think that it would be such a scandal that he did or have taken this long to get him in trouble?
    Tell me about Brian Williams Katrina coverage, especially the "Bodies he saw floating by" his hotel?
    You're a towel.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Tell me about Brian Williams Katrina coverage, especially the "Bodies he saw floating by" his hotel?
    Fox claimed that the Ritz-Carlton wasn't flooded, but they were also proven wrong in that claim - there was at least 3 feet of water at the Ritz, and the Ritz spent $100 million on renovations due to flood damage in the wake of Katrina - so it was clearly pretty extensive. There is no hard evidence that a body floated past - no images and no supporting claims, but it was entirely possible - contrary to the snap media reaction that the French Quarter didn't flood (when in fact, the Ritz is a couple blocks away from the quarter, where it did flood).
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2015-02-20 at 08:43 AM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    Brian Williams is (was?) a credible and respected, well-known journalist. Bill O'Reiley is a hack on Fox, with less credibility and respect than toenail fungus. He's not worth the time.
    Was. The guy betrayed the trust of everybody, he is not credible at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    So where is Bill O'Reilly's 6 month vacation?
    He's on Fox, you're neither obligated nor expected to tell the truth there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets have one about Bill O'Reilly lying. Apparently he has said numerous times he was at the Falkland Islands conflict in 1982 but yet NO American journalist made it to the conflict and that he was being chased and that his cameraman was hurt. People that knew him at the time from CBS said he was no where near the conflict and that he was in fact in Buenos Aires, Brazil 1200 miles away from the conflict.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...-falklands-war
    at that rate we should have a thread every other week. also fox news doesn't care about journalistic integrity it's only the party line that matters.
    if we're doing hannity we should just make a hannity megathread dedicated to how hilariously bad his analysis is and how everytime he fields questions from any uncontrolled live audience he gets told he's an idiot.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2015-02-20 at 09:35 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Bill O'Reilly does editorials which are his opinion. Brian Williams does real news, two cars collided on the freeway today type of news. The difference is opinions are like butt holes and real news is facts.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Therionn View Post
    Was. The guy betrayed the trust of everybody, he is not credible at all.
    oh puhlease. he made a mistake. if your going to be that way you really shouldn't watch news ever because news journalists make mistakes all the damn time. every heard of news corrections?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Oh god.

You think he really "misremembered" something like that? He's been on record recanting that story for years now.
    it's entirely possible and plausible. human memory is faulty at best.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    You know I don't really care what a professional news-reader says honestly, but O'Reily is a huge bully so I can't pretend I'm not enjoying this.
    sean hannity is just as bad as he pubicly humiliates his guests on his show and stops just short of calling them names or racist slurs if it's a foreign correspondent. if i remember correctly he even insulted a cardinal once on live tv.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh and uh... Bill O'Lielly.
    Bill O'Rly.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Doubt it'll become a big thing. It's Fox News after all, not exactly something unheard of in that corner of the news spectrum.

Lets have one about Bill O'Reilly lying. Apparently he has said numerous times he was at the Falkland Islands conflict in 1982 but yet NO American journalist made it to the conflict and that he was being chased and that his cameraman was hurt. People that knew him at the time from CBS said he was no where near the conflict and that he was in fact in Buenos Aires, Brazil 1200 miles away from the conflict.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...-falklands-war
    and all those stories about this not one clip not one written statements with direct quotes proving he said that he was in the Falkland Islands during the war so until mother jones or any other liberal rag show proof of their claims Im writing this off as just another hit piece

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    and all those stories about this not one clip not one written statements with direct quotes proving he said that he was in the Falkland Islands during the war so until mother jones or any other liberal rag show proof of their claims Im writing this off as just another hit piece
    Here we go....

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    That's not the claim however. The claim that's being refuted is that O'Reilly saw combat in Argentina during his time there which is not true.

In a 2004 column about US soldiers fighting in Iraq, O'Reilly noted, "Having survived a combat situation in Argentina during the Falklands war, I know that life-and-death decisions are made in a flash."
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, but Fox News doesn't give a shit about journalistic integrity.
    You're full of shit. They made an apology for their overstating the no law zones / zones with special security in Paris.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...n-d-williamson

This faux noise / fox news obsession is nothing but a tribal signaling method (a Shibboleth for those who actually know history) for smug people to point to an 'other' group and signify their membership in the 'cool kids klub'. Look at all the 'me too' dribbling off the keyboards of the other smug people who can't wait to pile on any time someone posts anything from a hit piece on Fox News.

Fox claimed that the Ritz-Carlton wasn't flooded, but they were also proven wrong in that claim - there was at least 3 feet of water at the Ritz, and the Ritz spent $100 million on renovations due to flood damage in the wake of Katrina - so it was clearly pretty extensive. There is no hard evidence that a body floated past - no images and no supporting claims, but it was entirely possible - contrary to the snap media reaction that the French Quarter didn't flood (when in fact, the Ritz is a couple blocks away from the quarter, where it did flood).
    Why wouldn't journalists at least have pictures of the bodies/flooding?

This seems like a he said she said situation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kruncholyo View Post
    You're full of shit. They made an apology for their overstating the no law zones / zones with special security in Paris.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...n-d-williamson

This faux noise / fox news obsession is nothing but a tribal signaling method (a Shibboleth for those who actually know history) for smug people to point to an 'other' group and signify their membership in the 'cool kids klub'. Look at all the 'me too' dribbling off the keyboards of the other smug people who can't wait to pile on any time someone posts anything from a hit piece on Fox News.
    Not that I watch Fox News or MSN, or CNN, but I agree. Here on MMO-C we clearly have a 'cool kids club.'

it's entirely possible and plausible. human memory is faulty at best.
    Dude, if I were shot down in a helicopter, I'd damn well remember it clearly. I had an auto accident in which another driver caused me to hit an embankment and roll my car over. I remember the whole thing almost like it was a movie, the images, the sounds... and that was four years ago. Ask me anything else that happened four years ago and I probably couldn't tell you exactly, even events in my own life. Heck, I had surgery on my neck 3 months after that (unrelated, lymph nodes) and I don't even remember it all that well.

If I were in the helicopter behind the one that got shot down, I think I'd remember that too. The more traumatic the experience = the better we remember it. Getting shot down is pretty damn traumatic I'd think. Being inside of a helicopter as it was shot down vs being in the helicopter that got shot down is a pretty huge difference, especially if you are going to tell the story over and over and over and over again, "recalling" the same details (that didn't happen) again and again and again.

What was the guy, brainwashed into believing he was in a different helicopter than he actually was? He seemed to remember correctly very damn fast after someone who was really there pointed it out. Did he go "Are you sure about that? I remember being in that helicopter."? From what I've read various sites he immediately goes "OH! Whoops I'm sorry I misremembered" instead of debating the fact.

If I mis-remember something and someone tells me otherwise, my first instinctive reaction is to go "you sure about that? I thought it was _____..." and proceed to go back over what I do remember until I find the point where I'm remembering wrong. I don't immediately go "Oh, haha silly me you're right." right off the bat if it was something large as trying to remember which vehicle I was in or something like that.

I can't help it, I believe Mr. Williams was lying. He has motive and incentive to do so. His whole job revolves around his reputation and he stands to directly gain from portraying himself as a survivor, the journalist that risks his own life kinda deal. If it weren't for the fact that he stood to gain so much from lying then maybe I'd go "yeah but why would he do that?". But that's not the case here...
    Last edited by Xaelai; 2015-02-20 at 02:49 PM.

Yeah, but Fox News doesn't give a shit about journalistic integrity.
    Bill O Reiley inst a journalist. He is a news commentator.