Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    If your an average person, you'd have to live with the memory of killing that unborn child the rest of your life that would be punishment enough for a lot of us.

Definitely the teen could be sued or her parents sued. It's just a sad situation that really can't be made better, no justice to be had.
    She will have to live with it forever, but will the dude with the gun. Even though he's dumber than my car keys he will carry this with him forever. Is that enough justice regarding him? If not, what makes the two circumstances different?
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by SogPig View Post
    She will have to live with it forever, but will the dude with the gun. Even though he's dumber than my car keys he will carry this with him forever. Is that enough justice regarding him? If not, what makes the two circumstances different?
    They're not different unless he's like a psychopath and once the let him go he's doing the touchdown dance.

Really it depends on what the victim's family wants in some ways, if they're happy with the outcome in situations like this I would call it settled.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by SogPig View Post
    I know this is an anti-gun thread and I'm in agreement with stricter gun control. The person in this article should be held accountable for his actions. However, I want to throw this out there. Woman is 30 weeks pregnant. Driving down the highway to meet her husband for dinner. Car crosses into her lane of traffic. She swerves to miss a head on collision, but gets clipped and spun out. She crosses the other side of the highway where she rolls and hits a tree. She survives, but loses the baby. The other driver was a 17 year old high school girl on her way to band practice, so not a monster. She was replying to a text. Of course, nothing was done to her. Should she have been held to the same accountability as posters in this thread want for the dumb ass with a gun?
    I would imagine a charge like reckless endangerment certainly wouldn't be out of the question for her, and her license should absolutely be suspended.

What's the point of noting that she's pregnant in the title? Aside from the obvious goal of tugging at people's emotions, I mean. Is there some other reason?

I think prosecutorial discretion is fine here. This was a group of people that was playing with a weapon. No one seemed bothered by it from the way that tale is told. Something bad happened. That sucks, but I'm not sure who we're helping by throwing someone in jail over a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    They're not different unless he's like a psychopath and once the let him go he's doing the touchdown dance.

Really it depends on what the victim's family wants in some ways, if they're happy with the outcome in situations like this I would call it settled.
    That's very seldom the case. I was the husband/father in that little anecdotal story. It's not like I wanted her executed, or locked up for life, or anything like that I just wanted accountability. In my opinion, I strongly feel the guy in the original story should lose his right to own firearm, but I also feel the girl should have at least lost her privilege to operate a motor vehicle.

It shows a double standard. When it's a dumb redneck with a gun it's stupidity to the extreme and he should be locked up and lose his right to own firearms. When it's a high school girl with a car and cell phone it's an unfortunate accident that she will live with forever.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    What's the point of noting that she's pregnant in the title? Aside from the obvious goal of tugging at people's emotions, I mean. Is there some other reason?
    Not really, it's just part of the victim's identity. If she was a he and was a pastor or something, I'd identify him as such.