Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is having an American Express card considered prestigious?

I've heard these cards are mainly used by wealthy upper class individuals and people who make good money. is this true?

Or is it all hype?

10+ Year Old Account
    It used to be for Middle class and higher, however income requirements have lessened and it is more dependent on the reliability of the borrower. The card originally required you to pay it off every month, however they have since started letting people carry balances.

Are there places you can use AmEx but can't use Visa/Mastercard?

Because I've always found it to be the other way around, to the point that I switched, though it possible that its because I'm aussie, lol.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    The Black Card is the one people find very prestigious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Amex is not as accepted in rural areas. Discover is more accepted in rural areas than Amex from my experiences. Though this has been changing, I assume Amex has lessened its fees. The company I used to work for has about 130 stores in the midwest and they just started accepting Amex about 4 years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    american express around here has a sort of mediocre reputation.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Amex is pretty useless it seems outside of America.

All the companies I've worked in retail in Australia has a service charge to use Amex.

I thought the Bat-Credit Card was the best?

Seriously though, I'd imagine if it was harder to get a card from an entire company, they'd eventually suffer a bit.

They have some very nice travel cards. The yearly fees are significant, but easily made up for if you travel a lot. A fair number of companies cover the cost of frequent traveling employees.

Quote Originally Posted by golds View Post
    I've heard these cards are mainly used by wealthy upper class individuals and people who make good money. is this true?
    It is not true. AmEx is just very good overseas- thus the idea that people who are wealthy and take vacations overseas pay with AmEx. Which they do, but so do like middle class couples from San Diego because they would give an AmEx card to like anyone.

AmEx just tends to be used abroad and coupled with the perception of "vacations = $$$" when many can not afford such trips creates this false myth of a CC with 25% APR is prestigious.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-02-22 at 04:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    Amex is pretty useless it seems outside of America.

All the companies I've worked in retail in Australia has a service charge to use Amex.
    I work at IGA and we don't, I'd assume none of the major supermarkers/deparment stores would. However most people paying with Amex do have to ask if we take Amex so I guess a lot of places don't.

Deleted
    As far as I am aware the Black card basically means you earn at least a million a year.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's easy to get an Amex card nowadays... no prestige really.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    I work at IGA and we don't, I'd assume none of the major supermarkers/deparment stores would. However most people paying with Amex do have to ask if we take Amex so I guess a lot of places don't.
    JB Hi-Fi does. As did the IGA I worked for in Queensland, an outdoor supply company I worked admin for also did and the restaurant I worked in.

Was always a $2 surcharge for AMEX

Most corporate credit cards I know of are AmEx, that's actually the one card I don't have personally though. Have a discover, two Visas, and a MasterCard. Most places I go accept any card, Sam's Club only accepts MC or Discover, which seems kind of odd, but most other places will accept any card. I never really understood why a company would reject specific cards
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Quote Originally Posted by golds View Post

Or is it all hype?
    Some places are not accepting American Express cards altogether like Costco.
    Costco Cards Account for One Out of Every 10 AmEx Cards in Circulation.
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/american...ity-1423746408

Best Visas ever

EVA!!!!... get it?

10+ Year Old Account
    i know when i have to ask do you take Amex i feel very special, like i am too good that your store will not accept my currency transaction.

upper echelon shit
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    Best Visas ever

EVA!!!!... get it?

Those RFID chips!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcilux View Post
    I never really understood why a company would reject specific cards
    The charges. AmEx, Visa, Discover, etc they charge retailers a fee for processing the customer's payment. AmEx charges retailers a lot comparatively (the most I think), the CC corporations parley this retail charge into profit (naturally) for them and varying degrees of security, insurance and customer service for the card holders/retailers.

This is why AmEx is so excellent abroad. The customer service is fantastic and AmEx embed some very travel friendly perks for having their card; roadside assistance, fraud protection, miles, rental discounts, etc. On average one pays a lot for these cards as a customer compared to like Visa.

Though Visa or Discover are cheaper than AmEx, for customer and retailers, they are less likely to have your back if you need to buy an Ak-47 by the roadside to rescue your daughter from pirates off the coast of Africa.