Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Question Is it normal for a guy to want a daughter?

I'm being serious, I mean most of my experience with babies and little children stem from taking care of playing with little girls. I mean I wouldn't want a son to go through some of the things males in my family have had to go through. I just think with a daughter, it would be easier in n emotional sense.

Is it strange?

No. Ideally I wanted a daughter and then a son. There are only 2 choices. Wanting 1 over the other is normal.

Daughters are also easier until high school

No it's not strange. I'd love to have a daughter.

Deleted
    I'm not fussed on if its a boy or girl.

Ideally I'd want both or 2 girls and a son

But no it's not strange.

If you have a son, you have to worry about one male.

If you have a daughter, you have to worry about all the other males.

They both have their good and bad points. Girls are more family oriented, you tend not to worry about boys as much, etc.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Normal? Yes of course it's normal.

With a son you have to worry about 1 penis.....with a daughter you have to worry about ALL the penises.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

It's not weird at all to want a girl over a boy. What I do find weird is that you say "I wouldn't want a son to go through what males in my family have gone through." As if being part of a family means you experience the same things as them throughout life, it doesn't. If you have a son, he will not have the same parents as you, he will not have the same friends as you. Assuming his life will share the same difficulties you faced (outside of the normal ones), is incorrect. Without knowing more (and I'm not asking you divulge personal information), I would say you can prefer a gender BEFORE you have a child, but once it comes out you better make sure you love it regardless of gender. Too often have I seen people who only wanted one gender and got the opposite. They resented that child and once having the opposite gender, treated the one they wanted way better.

Well, it's pretty normal according to Arcade Fire.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Not strange at all. I think most men want a boy to carry on the name, but with how things are going nowadays, a daughter may just keep her own.
    Jeez, what a sexist thing to say.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't really want kids. But if it happens a daughter(s) only. No sons. Although my genes in a guy would be a good thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    How would it be easier in an emotional sense?

If i have a daughter i will constantly be worried about boyfriends etc, well i guess i would be with a son also...but teen pregnancy is a thing and almost always more expensive for females.

And our society has trained us to think of boys screwing around as an alright thing but girls as precious flowers that must not be deflowered untill marriage...

To hell with that, sending future children to private schools, male or female, dont need that worry
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I'm aware of that. It's idiotic. I wouldn't want my theoretical kids running around having sex because I don't think teenagers are really capable of evaluating the risks, but I see no reason to ignore a theoretical daughter's agency in favor of acting like she's property a bunch of horny boys are trying to steal from you.
    Has little to do with boys but more girls.
    And why are boys that are looking into girls suddenly horny and running after her? Such a sexist thing to say. Jeez.
    Last edited by Kezotar; 2015-02-22 at 04:48 PM.

I would love to have two girls perfect in my opinion. The point is, there is nothing wrong with imagining about your future kids and hoping for a combination!

Is your hypothetical daughter incapable of making decisions or something?
    Well she would be a child, and they are not the best at making decisions.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    How would it be easier in an emotional sense?

If i have a daughter i will constantly be worried about boyfriends etc, well i guess i would be with a son also...but teen pregnancy is a thing and almost always more expensive for females.

And our society has trained us to think of boys screwing around as an alright thing but girls as precious flowers that must not be deflowered untill marriage...

To hell with that, sending future children to private schools, male or female, dont need that worry
    Do you actually believe that private school kids don't have sex? Religious private schools often have higher rates of pregnancy than public (at least until they get kicked out)

- - - Updated - - -

It's not that idiotic. I guess when you become a father of a daughter, you may see it differently.
    Winter is a father! o.O

Mother of two daughters.
    Change your story now. I'm watching you. Creepily, from the bushes.

Obviously, but the point is it's just promoting the pursuer-pursued dichotomy, when you should just be teaching your children how to make responsible decisions and looking out for their well-being, regardless of whether they are male or female.
    Just because you teach your children to make responsible decisions doesn't mean you don't worry about the world you're sending them out to make those decisions into. Believe me, once your child starts school/dating/driving/whatever, you worry no matter what. Your child may make good decisions, but the rest of the world usually doesn't.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ideally both, but if I only had 1 I'd prefer a girl too.. They're a lot easier to deal with while they're young. Changes when they age, but at that point it's not as stressful either way.