Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Hacker Extorts Bitcoin Ransom From Illinois Police Department.

MIDLOTHIAN, Ill. (AP) — A suburban Chicago police department paid a hacker a $500 ransom to restore access to data on a police computer that the hacker had disabled through the use of an increasingly popular type of virus.

The police department in Midlothian, a village southwest of Chicago, was hit in January by a form of the Cryptoware virus, which encrypted some files on a department computer, leaving them inaccessible without the encryption key, the Chicago Tribune reported.

If I was that hacker I would do this everyday, who the fuck pays $500.00 bucks?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6730344.html
    Last edited by lockedout; 2015-02-23 at 03:28 AM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    MIDLOTHIAN, Ill. (AP) — A suburban Chicago police department paid a hacker a $500 ransom to restore access to data on a police computer that the hacker had disabled through the use of an increasingly popular type of virus.

The police department in Midlothian, a village southwest of Chicago, was hit in January by a form of the Cryptoware virus, which encrypted some files on a department computer, leaving them inaccessible without the encryption key, the Chicago Tribune reported.

It's possible that the police feel certain that they will catch the hacker(s). Silly police.

Misleading title and picture. There is no mention of bitcoin?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Sorry I forgot to put the link, I added it.

"An unknown hacker said that if the department wanted to unencrypt the files, it had to pay a ransom in bitcoin, a digital currency that is virtually untraceable, said Calvin Harden Jr., an IT vendor who works with the village.

The village had to make a tough decision, Harden said, and chose to make the payment because going after the hacker might have been more trouble than it was worth."

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't even see a link, the one he has links back to this thread.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

You just linked to this thread again.

You just linked to this thread again.
    It's in the OP.

Deleted
    The reason its called Bitcoin ransom is because the ransom is being paid in bitcoin. That is how the scam/hack works

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Sorry I forgot to put the link, I added it.

"An unknown hacker said that if the department wanted to unencrypt the files, it had to pay a ransom in bitcoin, a digital currency that is virtually untraceable, said Calvin Harden Jr., an IT vendor who works with the village.

The village had to make a tough decision, Harden said, and chose to make the payment because going after the hacker might have been more trouble than it was worth."
    Sets a pretty awful precedent. Did they not have the number for the FBI.

Heh, as mentioned in the article, it's a common virus. Highly doubtful the hacker was intending to extort a police department. Also highly doubtful that they actually needed to pay the ransom to get their stuff decrypted. Often these viruses are not all that sophisticated, and the decryption key is stored on the actual computer. A computer security professional probably could have gotten the job done.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, some Illinois law enforcement establishments are technologically inept.

You know which state to strike now Cyber Criminals. You have a good year, or so, to milk this stupid state for all its worth before someone forces them to catch on. Get to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The hacker was smart in that $500 isn't enough for the PD to pay to have the problem go away. You're note going to negotiate with someone if they demand a large sum of money, you might give into them if their demands are small if only to go after them later.

This is sensationalized nonsense, which you should have been fully aware of after reading it yourself.

A proper title would have been:

"Illinois Police Department contracts an untargeted, common ransomware virus on facility computer. Pays to get data back because their IT team is awful and didn't set up redundant data backup."

The "hacker" didn't single out the PD, or even personally extort them. Some dumbass just browsed a shady site on the department's computer and contracted malware.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Basically, PD has an awful ITD.

Deleted
    Dont blame the IT team
    Its the retards fault who clicked that link

Quote Originally Posted by Helwet View Post
    Dont blame the IT team
    i think its safe to say they all fucked up

Can you imagine the head of IT, the guy who had to explain this to his superiors?

"Well police chief O'Malley, we have two options, forget about the data or pay the $500."

How awkward is that?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helwet View Post
    Dont blame the IT team
    Any IT team worth their salt doesn't trust a user further than they can throw them.

Deleted

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6730344.html
    They do it every day, all year round. Though they don't really hack computers, they lure users to websites that infect their computers with cyptowarevirus' and then collect the "ransom" in terms of anonymous bitcoins. The "hacker" never knows the identidy of his victims, only that he cashes in on anyone willing to pay. We have had similar cases overhere, they never pay up due to the fact that if people pay up the "hacker" gets encouraged to make even more complicated cryptoware that can infect even more users.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    They do it every day, all year round. Though they don't really hack computers, they lure users to websites that infect their computers with cyptowarevirus' and then collect the "ransom" in terms of anonymous bitcoins. The "hacker" never knows the identidy of his victims, only that he cashes in on anyone willing to pay. We have had similar cases overhere, they never pay up due to the fact that if people pay up the "hacker" gets encouraged to make even more complicated cryptoware that can infect even more users.
    How does that even work? The amount of people using bitcoins is miniscule. Sounds like a lot of effort to catch the one guy in millions who may be able to pay the ransom.