Beastlord Mythic - what's the point with Pin Down?

Hi there,

downed Beastlord M yesterday, still wondering about some points of the fight. Talking about Pin Down - the DJ states "Hurls a spear at an enemy, inflicting 32606 to 37894 Physical damage to enemies within 25 yds."

Well, I often observed that I did not receive any damage even standing next to the spear (of course not pinned down ). On the other side, melees that are not within 25 yards suffer from the AE. As the damage seems to be unpredictable (buggy?), damage in the last phase after Faultine is very intense for us.

Does the mechanic work contrary to the DJ? Any help is appreciated for re-kill next week

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's seem to be 25 yards from the Beastlord himself, not the spears. Standing at max range, you won't be getting damaged even if two spears land right next to you - of course this leaves you wide open for Breath/Shrapnel. The journal description is really messy and could use some work.

Or maybe it was supposed to be 25yd from the spears originally and the text was never updated, who knows?
    Last edited by KaPe; 2015-02-23 at 08:59 AM.

Deleted
    So our disc priest's weakaura can let us know how bad we are.

Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    It's seem to be 25 yards from the Beastlord himself, not the spears. Standing at max range, you won't be getting damaged even if two spears land right next to you - of course this leaves you wide open for Breath/Shrapnel. The journal description is really messy and could use some work.

Or maybe it was supposed to be 25yd from the spears originally and the text was never updated, who knows?
    Is this true? If ur at max ranged (say, 40 yards) from boss you won't get any dmg from pin down? That sounds sketchy, since what it says on dj is 25 yards of where the spear lands, meaning spears landing on ranged near melees = melees getting extra dmg taken. And this makes sense, forcing ranged to stay away from melees to prevent even more splash dmg.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBringerPT View Post
    Is this true? If ur at max ranged (say, 40 yards) from boss you won't get any dmg from pin down? That sounds sketchy, since what it says on dj is 25 yards of where the spear lands, meaning spears landing on ranged near melees = melees getting extra dmg taken. And this makes sense, forcing ranged to stay away from melees to prevent even more splash dmg.
    Simply check the logs. Melee gets hit by Pin Down every single time - even if spears land further away than 25 yards. As a ranged, you can have spear land right next to you and get zero damage. I assumed it was a bug at first, but it would make sense if range is calculated from boss model and it's simply journal description that's messed up.

It also seems to make some sense "balance" wise - you can avoid Pin Down damage, but risk getting hit by Breath, chaining Rend and have to deal with limited space thanks to Epicenter/spear fires.

Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    Simply check the logs. Melee gets hit by Pin Down every single time - even if spears land further away than 25 yards. As a ranged, you can have spear land right next to you and get zero damage. I assumed it was a bug at first, but it would make sense if range is calculated from boss model and it's simply journal description that's messed up.

It also seems to make some sense "balance" wise - you can avoid Pin Down damage, but risk getting hit by Breath, chaining Rend and have to deal with limited space thanks to Epicenter/spear fires.
    Went to check guild logs, and idd it is true. Every melee up on top dmg taken, followed by tanks and healers. ranged among the ones taking less dmg.

Which means I can get 0 dmg taken from this, being a hunter. This is precious information, if all ranged manage to evade this dmg healers just need to focus on tanks/melees.

Paying careful attention to this might ease healer mana a small amount, but not game breaking. People aren't really wiping to the damage from the pin down AOE or healer mana problems. You wipe on this fight to attrition and epicenter limiting mobility causing people to take fire breath to the face.

Deleted
    i m in progress on this boss. And in the phase where he is on his drake, i get spammed from my GTFO like crazy. I see there is fire on the ground, even tho the animation is kinda weired and as far as i know it spawns out of dead adds (small ones), but i m not sure, we have only faced this phase a few times and its crazy chaotic for us 2 tanks, since you have to tank the boss, the drake and the small adds and get ridiculos amount of damage.

As well i m not sure how we should move the boss, because beeing to far away from the spawn location of the small adds is kinda problematic...As well i m not sure if it is really smart to kill the adds next to the boss in this phase (we actually do it for cleave dmg), or if it would be better to kill them anywhere else.

Really appreciate tipps.

Quote Originally Posted by aerlins View Post
    i m in progress on this boss. And in the phase where he is on his drake, i get spammed from my GTFO like crazy. I see there is fire on the ground, even tho the animation is kinda weired and as far as i know it spawns out of dead adds (small ones), but i m not sure, we have only faced this phase a few times and its crazy chaotic for us 2 tanks, since you have to tank the boss, the drake and the small adds and get ridiculos amount of damage.

As well i m not sure how we should move the boss, because beeing to far away from the spawn location of the small adds is kinda problematic...As well i m not sure if it is really smart to kill the adds next to the boss in this phase (we actually do it for cleave dmg), or if it would be better to kill them anywhere else.

Really appreciate tipps.
    The hydra ignites the spears and causes them to spew flames. We clear spears during this phase (but not before - starfall will do that for you) and while Faultline is up. During the burn on the boss we just avoid the fire best we can. We tanked the guy basically in the middle of the room so nobody has to be too far from the boss.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuffled View Post
    The hydra ignites the spears and causes them to spew flames. We clear spears during this phase (but not before - starfall will do that for you) and while Faultline is up. During the burn on the boss we just avoid the fire best we can. We tanked the guy basically in the middle of the room so nobody has to be too far from the boss.
    ok thanks.

But as far as i know, the dead bodys from the little adds leave fire on the ground, how do you handle this?

ok thanks.

But as far as i know, the dead bodys from the little adds leave fire on the ground, how do you handle this?
    We don't stand in the fire. I thought the fire was from the body of the mounts?

Deleted
    We don't stand in the fire.
    sounds like a good plan to me :-)

We don't stand in the fire. I thought the fire was from the body of the mounts?
    After the drake dies, the group of small monsters will burn when they die. You just need to aoe them down as normal, but watch your feet as they're dying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kantalope View Post
    After the drake dies, the group of small monsters will burn when they die. You just need to aoe them down as normal, but watch your feet as they're dying.
    do you know how the damage you take from this fire is called?

do you know how the damage you take from this fire is called?
    Inferno Pyre.

Our range take very little damage from the spears as well. unless they get pinned down