Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    Lol @ people saying you need an SSD for gaming. LOL. Split seconds is what we're talking here. That is required.

I bet you al would believe people who say you need a 1000w psu.
    You could have bought half the RAM listed in your sig and been halfway to picking up an SSD. I find it hilarious that you scoff at a QoL item but have more RAM than you need.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Quote Originally Posted by Kukkaroinen View Post
    I would bet you don't have an SSD. It's about several seconds not split seconds. It's a QoL purchase nothing else. Saves you a little time and makes using the pc feel smoother and snappier. A good 100$ investment imo.
    I had an SSD and removed it, but my reasons may be my own i dont like how windows is with multiple hard drives i dont feel its intuitive. That said ill be going back to an SSD in my next build, gonna use one large SSD and no HDD (i may also use two SSD's in raid 0 depending on the case i get).

Quote Originally Posted by Kukkaroinen View Post
    I would bet you don't have an SSD. It's about several seconds not split seconds. It's a QoL purchase nothing else. Saves you a little time and makes using the pc feel smoother and snappier. A good 100$ investment imo.
    Exactly, a QoL purchase, not required, as many seem to say. If the budget does not allow it, it's not something you look at. Given the choice which system would you take:

i5-4690k/GTX960 without an SSD
    i3-3260/GTX960 with an SSD

how about:

i5-4690K/GTX970 without an SSD
    i5-4690K/GTX960 with an SSD?

The point was it's not required and if on a budget, there are better ways to spend that money.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimson View Post
    You could have bought half the RAM listed in your sig and been halfway to picking up an SSD. I find it hilarious that you scoff at a QoL item but have more RAM than you need.
    Lel.

1) I use 2 SSDs. Not for gaming, though. Video editing. Makes accessing data much faster.

2) I have 16 GB of RAM..for video editing. I do a lot of post production video editing and rendering.

Is being completely ignorant of people's situations and then attempting to put them on blast fun? Because it just makes you look stupid.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

10+ Year Old Account
    It is a $1500 build, some of you are treating SSD's like they cost $2 a GB again.

Hell I just got a couple 128GB factory reconditioned(debricked/updated firmware) Crucial M4s for 30 bucks each, the 256 were only $50.

You can get newer SSD's 120gb range SSD's for about 50-70 bucks without much hassle. I don't know anyone who has had an SSD placed in their system say, meh I'm ok with an HDD. It was usually along the lines of, oh lordy I've waited to long for this!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    It is a $1500 build, some of you are treating SSD's like they cost $2 a GB again.

Hell I just got a couple 128GB factory reconditioned(debricked/updated firmware) Crucial M4s for 30 bucks each, the 256 were only $50.

You can get newer SSD's 120gb range SSD's for about 50-70 bucks without much hassle. I don't know anyone who has had an SSD placed in their system say, meh I'm ok with an HDD. It was usually along the lines of, oh lordy I've waited to long for this!
    No one is saying it isn't great. It is great. But for a budget build*, it is not necessary.

*any build where someone is on..a budget. Aka, you can't spend more money just because "oh lordy".

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Lel.

1) I use 2 SSDs. Not for gaming, though. Video editing. Makes accessing data much faster.

2) I have 16 GB of RAM..for video editing. I do a lot of post production video editing and rendering.
    Seems like you highlighted the reason people buy SSDs in your own post, so... I'll leave it at that. Out of curiosity, if you're doing a lot of video editing, why didn't you choose a 4790k?

Is being completely ignorant of people's situations and then attempting to put them on blast fun? Because it just makes you look stupid.
    Given your responses to a lot of these threads, I think I could ask the same question.

No one is saying it isn't great. It is great. But for a budget build*, it is not necessary.

*any build where someone is on..a budget. Aka, you can't spend more money just because "oh lordy".
    You realize that all of the builds proposed with an SSD fit within his budget.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimson View Post
    You realize that all of the builds proposed with an SSD fit within his budget.
    I think everyone agrees that in this budget, yes, an SSD fits just fine. The point being made though was that it is in no way required. People around here act like you should put an SSD even in $600-1000 builds. Sure, once you get a $1000+ Budget, you can start looking at an SSD. It is in no way required though and if looking to cut costs it is one of the first places to look as it does not increase FPS at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post
    • Budget - $1500
    • Resolution - 1080p (Moving into 4k later on as budget allows.
    • Games / Settings Desired - MMO's (WoW, Rift, Eve.) Triple A Titles (Farcry 4, Shadows of Mordor Etc.) High / Ultra settings.
    • Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) - Lots of multi-tasking, but not really.
    • Country - U.S. and a Microcenter is only about 30 minutes away.
    • Parts that can be reused - None, old rig will be heading over to my parents place so my Mom can look at cat pictures or what not.
    • Do you need an OS? - Yes, already accounted for.
    • Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? None Needed.

Created the following buy list. Intend to get all the parts at Microcenter as they will price match what is listed.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($326.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 113.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($74.90 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($146.88 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($82.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.20 @ Directron)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($347.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($134.34 @ Mwave)
    Power Supply: Cooler Master 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Mwave)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.79 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($92.00 @ B&H)
    Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Red 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan ($12.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1419.99
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-23 12:21 EST-0500

Anyone see any issues with the above? Would prefer to stay with MSI as I have had decent luck with them. I picked the 4790k over the 4690k for... reasons. I intend to do a very gentle OC of 5%.

Primary Concerns: Stability. I do work from home and need my rig to work. Period.
    Secondary Concerns: Heat, it gets hot in my gaming room 75-80f during the summer. Would prefer not to go with liquid cooling, picked the cpu cooler based off previous suggestions on this board, but if anyone has thoughts on it.
    Final Concern: Future proofing. Intend to upgrade RAM and get a second 970 to run in SLI as funds allow. Will my current power supply be enough or should I upgrade it?

Thanks in advance for any input. (Sorry about the wall of text.)

my thoughts change the 970 out for something else theres problems with that card and its only a 3.5 gb memory card not 4 gb

Quote Originally Posted by Nakotsu View Post
    my thoughts change the 970 out for something else theres problems with that card and its only a 3.5 gb memory card not 4 gb
    This again? The 970 is fine, it does have 4GB RAM, just the last 512 is a little slower. It still outperforms it's competition as well.