Poll: Whats your average wpm?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Your typing speed?

Well I learned how to type when I was in 4th grade or so, so its been 15 years of practicing for me. I recently just tested my average w.p.m. out of curiosity since its been so long and was wondering the average from the community as well. In about a minute I made 3-4 mistakes and had an average of 97 w.p.m.

I'm satisfied with my speed, but I tend to still make typing errors often which I've reminded myself to be aware of but still can't seem to improve upon it. I wonder if it's related to the fact that I constantly accidentally right-click my mouse when my hands are resting on it.

You can test your wpm online for instance http://www.typingtest.com/

Deleted
    I seem to hover just around 120, sometimes going up towards 130.

10+ Year Old Account
    "I can't write" WPM.

I'm aroun 70ish on test, where you read the words before typing them down, which slows you down quite significantly, when typing out of my head, i can go above, probably.

Never really learned how to type, it's something I should really work on this summer. I'm probably actually 20-40 even typing with six fingers, but eh.

3 words per minute. Typing this post will take me 4 minutes.

I can never type nearly as fast as I really can when I'm following a script like that...
    It claims I type 45 WPM but I felt so slow cause I was trying to not get ahead of myself and follow the script...

Two fingers about 22 words a minute.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

45+ I think

Deleted
    Reliably 101-120 but 120+ in some instances. I'm a qualified medical and legal audio typist and spent 2 years going to night class to get my certifications which really teaches you to both read and listen to things and keep your brain one step ahead of your fingers so typing tests are real easy for me. Even though I haven't worked in that field for a long time I still type pretty fast.

I was 70ish in school, now usually in the 45 wpm area. I can never do that well when I'm taking a test, and it feels like I'm quicker than that.

On the other hand, I see people typing a lot in PVP and I'm really fucking astounded how someone can type so much, so accurately while putting us all to shame. I mean, he HAS to be THAT GOOD to type SO WELL AND SO MUCH while out performing EVERYONE. Amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    I only get about 80 WPM nowadays but I can't maintain that for longer than 30 minutes. My 10 key is about 12,000 kph though.

Deleted
    Something like ~60 wpm. Theoretically I would have learned how to type with 10 fingers in school...but I have never done it, and always kept my 6-8 finger-habit.

Deleted

10+ Year Old Account
    I got 89 WPM, but that is typing on my work laptop keyboard. Last time I took this test with my mechanical keyboard I pushed 110 WPM. That's not terrible for someone who spends most of their time typing code instead of prose I guess.

15+ Year Old Account
    80-120 WPM depending on the day / keyboard - like I just woke up - hands are still sleepy, my current desktop keyboard is terrible (I've been telling myself to just throw it out and go buy a new one for about a month now, Razer Lycosa if you're curious - the guy in the store really pitched me on it as the one he used - no idea why I fell for that mistake) - even still that typing test put me at 91 WPM with 3 mistakes.

My laptop keyboard is actually faster (Alienware 15in), just because it doesn't have the ridiculous key gaps and keystroke depth.

I hate all "Gamer" keyboards with a passion, I want the higher production quality - but I can't imagine a gamer who wants a half-inch keystroke depth and resulting slow response time (not to mention the deafening clash of mechanical switches).

If I were a keyboard manufacturer, I'd make a board:
    - in the $50-100 range
    - almost zero keystroke depth
    - minimized response time
    - dead silent, there is nothing satisfying about excess noise to me
    - no key-spacing distance - like a laptop keyboard, bigger key faces than a laptop, but no gap or valley between the plateaus
    - a very slight textured key ridge (the downfall of virtual phone keyboards)
    - no dirt/hair trough for stuff to accumulate under the keys (like a waterproofed keyboard maybe? or just a flat tablet with kinetic response and no actual key depth, but some manner of feedback)
    - pour all remaining money into making it indestructible, steel frame, coated wiring that won't wear/tear at the connections
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    -
    Try cherry mx brown or the equivalent with o-rings. I went out and bought 4-5 mechanical keyboards and tested them side by side. Red switches are mush, and when I type at 120 wpm+ on a blue switch, it sounds like an apocalyptic deafening hailstorm.

I'm at around 120-130 wpm on average on my desktop keyboard

10+ Year Old Account
    81-100, depending on distractions

About 60+ using a script

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    You mean a symphony of orgasmic wonder.
    I honestly think someone must be using mechanical keyboards as some sort of noise-based sex toy, because yea - component designers seem to be in a competition to see who can make the noisiest keyboard possible - as though it were a Piano with 104 keys and only one string - entire symphonies composed in A# - written for alien ears that can only comprehend a single note range.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter