Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Because some people actually have dignity and morals and dont steal (for the lack of a better word) content. People dont make videos for free.
    I have to say, I always feel much more dignified and moral watching stupidly long car commercials while waiting for a 2 minute video. Also, I make my kids watch steamy condom commercials or advertisements for violent video games while waiting for Sesame Street to come back on (which is a PBS show that doesn't have commercials on TV).

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Hell, look at commercials on TV. They've increased in length over the years and now an hour long show is about, what, maybe 40 mins? 20 fucking minutes of commercials telling me to buy shit? And they've even made it so certain 'On Demand' features won't allow you to fast forward through them.

Yes, it pisses me off allot.
    They speed up the shows by miniscule amounts say, 1 or 5% just so they can shove more ads on their TVs.

Cable is pointless.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    Some people do, alot of people don't. And now it's a part of every day culture to steal.
    It's almost as bad as the people who expect that they are going to be paid just because they uploaded some drivel to the interwebz.

Problem is that on tablets and third party devices like apple tv etc, you can't install adblock.

So you are forced to watch ads, a lot of them 30 seconds and unskippable.
    Seems like google are rigging the market a bit here.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Followed in 5 years by the update to the plan where you still pay the premium for the service, but you'll start getting ads anyways...
    I totally see this happening. I am not happy with where this is going and I don't see many people subbing to Youtube. hell, most popular tubers already have a personal page where they upload content first. I rather just go there.

15+ Year Old Account
    I like the idea behind it, watch adds or chose to pay the money they lose in revenue to avoid them, having choice is always nice. The problem is this never happens without charging more than the add revenue would have been, and it never happens without increasing the inconvenience for non-paying costumers to coax them into paying. I don't expect Youtube to be the ones to break that trend..

10+ Year Old Account
    For all of you trying to bring 'morals and dignity' into this, which is laughably sad to begin with, your ADD is apparently preventing you from remembering that YouTube hasn't always had ads. It used to be ad free when it started, and for a few years after at least. So it was perfectly fine to watch things for free back then, but now you're trying to argue that attempting to skip the ads is stealing? Do you not see the logic failure in this?

Also, Adblock does exist at least for android; the problem I've found though is that it chews up far more bandwidth than just waiting 5 seconds to skip the ads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

We need some money to support our selfs how am I going to buy stuff for myself bra?

Quick question. Don't some Youtubers get part of the revenue if you see the add? If you pay Youtube directly, does the uploader see any of that money?
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    For all of you trying to bring 'morals and dignity' into this, which is laughably sad to begin with, your ADD is apparently preventing you from remembering that YouTube hasn't always had ads. It used to be ad free when it started, and for a few years after at least. So it was perfectly fine to watch things for free back then, but now you're trying to argue that attempting to skip the ads is stealing? Do you not see the logic failure in this?

Also, Adblock does exist at least for android; the problem I've found though is that it chews up far more bandwidth than just waiting 5 seconds to skip the ads.
    This^^^

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post

It's stealing because they've raised the price of their product, and you're finding a way to have their product without paying for it. I use AdBlock too, but there should be no illusion that you're not exploiting a weakness to avoid paying for their product.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    It's stealing because they've raised the price of their product, and you're finding a way to have their product without paying for it. I use AdBlock too, but there should be no illusion that you're not exploiting a weakness to avoid paying for their product.
    Then if that's the case, then I guess I'd advocate stealing because the more honest means are total tits.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Fox View Post
    Or.
    You can keep using free software and Addons for your browsers that do the exact same thing, for free.
    I would be more in favour of ad-supported services if the ads weren't so damn intrusive.
    Popping OVER a video while I am watching it isn't acceptable.
    Flash is a resource hog, an easy route for malware, and often just yelling for your attention.
    If an ad cannot get my attention in the first 5 seconds, then it has failed.
    Forcing me to sit through another 20 seconds of it isn't going to change my mind.
    Tell me what the product is immediately, rather than focusing on your fancy visuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Adblock supports advertising which meets certain acceptability standards.
    If youtube cannot get on the side of adblock, then there is something wrong with their advertising.
    Adblock hugely improves my experience on many websites.
    That is why I use it.

Get over the stupid "stealing" argument.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2015-02-24 at 06:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll stop using addblock the day youtube stops with 30 second or more long adds, if you haven't caught my attention within the first 10 the rest is very unlikely too.

7+ Year Old Account
    I can already do this now. I block all ads, and if I want to watch a video offline I just download the video and watch it offline. There will ALWAYS be ways to do this. If you can watch a video, you can download it, and ads can always be blocked.

I haven't seen a single ad anywhere on the internet in years, except for the Amazon "suggestions" I see when I pick a product there (the "people who bought this also liked these" things). But that's Amazon, and the way they do that is ok.

What ads on youtube?
    Youtube has ads?!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Adblock supports advertising which meets certain acceptability standards.
    If youtube cannot get on the side of adblock, then there is something wrong with their advertising.
    Adblock hugely improves my experience on many websites.
    That is why I use it.

Get over the stupid "stealing" argument.
    Nothing stupid about it. Youtube is a service that is payed for through viewing adds, which in turn gives them an income. If you don't like the price, don't use the service. If you circumvent their business model to rob them of income while still using their service, don't pretend what you're doing is somehow justified... It's not in any way a necessity, it's purely recreational and something you chose to use because you like what they're providing, they don't have any sort of obligation to conform to a business model that you approve of.

I'm not judging anyone, as I said, I use AdBlock myself and I'd recommend it to anyone because it removes an annoying aspect of using those kinds of services, but that doesn't somehow make it justified.

$8 a month is way too high unless they're going to add other subscriber perks, such as subscriber-exclusive content. People will just continue to use Adblock :/

I don't get why advertisements should bother anyone. They are short, skippable things. Why do people act as if they have no seconds to waste while watching hours of stuff on youtube?

Quote Originally Posted by cenkiss View Post
    I don't get why advertisements should bother anyone. They are short, skippable things. Why do people act as if they have no seconds to waste while watching hours of stuff on youtube?
    Except most of the times they aren't. You get long, un-skippable, extremely LOUD and obnoxious adds, completely unrelated to any interest of yours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    $8 a month is way too high unless they're going to add other subscriber perks, such as subscriber-exclusive content. People will just continue to use Adblock :/
    I'm really surprised they haven't ripped off the patreon model and even if they did, patreon live streams are very lax in DMCA-ing you and how risque your content can be.