Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Even IF I agree with you here (which I don't, because they're all fairly absurd statements. Of course adding more limiting criteria to the queue is likely to lengthen it, and simple "time spent" - which is all Hero level is - is not analogous to skill in any way) it still doesn't demonstrate any upside to your idea.

I'll ask again, what is the upside to this? What are you trying to accomplish?
    As i made that point before, to allow you having less heroes but more you want to play therefor know how to play better those better. There's no gain for a person needing 10 champions if he or she can't play all 10, not for the person not for the group he's paired up with.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    You just countered your third point by what you wrote in your third point. More heroes doesn't mean more experienced at more heroes it's just a number you need to have.
    Yes, but more heroes means more gold which means more games which means more experience which means a higher chance of having a good amount of knowledge and not being a newbie. If you played enough to buy 10 heroes you are likely to be significantly more experienced than someone who played enough to have 3. The guarantee is never 100%, but the more the better.

To be honest I'd like the system more if it also required level 5 or 6 on your entire roster, but I guess that'd be too much to hope for.
    I much rather have a system that enforces you to check that you know your heroes before entering league rather than just having 10 for the sake of someone else picking yours.
    I would much rather have a system that reads the minds of my teammates-to-be and ensures their personalities and skill matches mine, but that's unfortunately about as feasible as your idea so I gotta settle for something realistic.
    No that's the only solution you can think off to make it work, i already said to allow checks before being match made.
    10 hero barrier is much simpler and much more efficient than a dreamland algorithm that picks and chooses teammates/opponents who match your 3-hero pool to ensure you don't get outpicked. If you dislike it, too bad, stick to quick match.

ITT: People try to point out why OP is wrong. OP refuses to listen to multiple reasons.

My vote: Anything that makes ridiculous 30 minute queues for anyone or puts people into ranked games on heros they've never played before is a shit system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Titebiere83 View Post
    Yeah. But he/she was talking about skins.
    Nah it was just a typo by me... I meant to say "heroes and skins".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Yes, but more heroes means more gold which means more games which means more experience which means a higher chance of having a good amount of knowledge and not being a newbie. If you played enough to buy 10 heroes you are likely to be significantly more experienced than someone who played enough to have 3. The guarantee is never 100%, but the more the better.

To be honest I'd like the system more if it also required level 5 or 6 on your entire roster, but I guess that'd be too much to hope for.
    I would much rather have a system that reads the minds of my teammates-to-be and ensures their personalities and skill matches mine, but that's unfortunately about as feasible as your idea so I gotta settle for something realistic.
    10 hero barrier is much simpler and much more efficient than a dreamland algorithm that picks and chooses teammates/opponents who match your 3-hero pool to ensure you don't get outpicked. If you dislike it, too bad, stick to quick match.
    That amount of experience can be acquired also by simply adding a hero level requirement if that was really the aim of that cap. So we agree that if that was the intend it is not hitting its mark.

I wouldn't say that i found the system to be that absurd or highly complicated even as you can make it realistic by making is so you people pick a primary, secondary and perhaps even tertiary character.

Nope i didn't. People are free to disagree with me i can see merit in some of the arguments made here, those whoever who seek to argue as few did without any arguments just because "blizzthings", but hey feel free to argue that you know better what i meant, i'm sure that will get you somewhere

You again made my point requiring to just buy up heroes you don't want or know but just out of need to enter the league, what can happen very simply is now you end up having to play a hero you don't know how to play.

You just countered your third point by what you wrote in your third point. More heroes doesn't mean more experienced at more heroes it's just a number you need to have. I much rather have a system that enforces you to check that you know your heroes before entering league rather than just having 10 for the sake of someone else picking yours. So thank you again i guess for supplying me with another argument to find the current system to be ineffective.

No that's the only solution you can think off to make it work, i already said to allow checks before being match made.

- - - Updated - - -

No it's not ridiculous, if it made the queues longer you wouldn't end up playing with people who don't know their heroes. what overall would improve your playing experience from a perspective of a none pre-made group player.

Seeing league isn't the mode to get a "quick match" there's already a mode for that called exactly that
    Why do you "need" to play ranked mode in the first place? If you can't be good enough on more than 3 or 4 heroes, then stick to coop or quick match. The entire point is having enough heroes to choose from so that: A) you are never unable to choose a hero because all the heroes that you own have already been chosen and B) you can actually have a team comp that will work. Just like with League of Legends, even though this game doesn't officially have top lane, jungle, bot lae, etc you DO still have tanks, assassins, support/healers and if your limited pool of heroes forces you to have a sub optimal comp, then your chances of winning (and more importantly your TEAM's chances of winning) are lower than if you have a diverse pool of champions and are flexible in what roles you can play.

If you don't want to do that, stick to quick match. You could literally own a single hero and play it until you are god with it because you pre-select which hero you're going to play each game. There's nothing wrong with staying in quick match. But you're not entitled to play ranked without meeting a few reasonable criteria. On top of that, let's say you have 3 heroes that you have played to level 5. That's 1500 gold JUST from reaching level 5 on 3 heroes (500g per hero that reaches level 5.) If you got there in quick match, you're getting 30g/win and whatever gold you might have earned from completing daily quests. Owning 10 champions by the time you reach level 30 (which is when you're eligible for Ranked) is REALLY not that hard at all. It's a reasonable requirement.
    I can teach you how to play, but I can't fix stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    ITT: People try to point out why OP is wrong. OP refuses to listen to multiple reasons.

My vote: Anything that makes ridiculous 30 minute queues for anyone or puts people into ranked games on heros they've never played before is a shit system.
    Alright seeing you aim to seek my attention with a one liner, do tell me your logic behind suddenly moving from anywhere to 1 to 5 minutes (what is being extremely generous) queue time to suddenly half an hour, so you don't just go from doubling it you make it six times to queue time.

I'm guessing you're simply pulling numbers randomly out of thin air without any basis.

It is very easy to get 10 heroes by simply playing the game and using ingame Gold.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

I mean to include that it is not only not difficult, but purchasing 10 heroes can cost you zero real dollars by purchasing them exclusively with gold you earn from playing the game. Yes, it means that it will take a little longer to do, but explain to me how that's a bad thing? More time spent playing the game means (most likely) more skill with the heroes that you have been playing which can only be a good thing for when you take the step up to ranked. Ranked SHOULD have requirements that limit who can enter the queue to keep the people who aren't fully committed to bringing a diverse skill set and experience on more than just a couple heroes.
    I can teach you how to play, but I can't fix stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    The system is fine as it is. 10 Heroes are not a very big requirement. A month or two of play would grant you enough gold to buy the lower price Heroes as well as a few expensive ones. Compared to LoL, HotS doesn't have a lot of requirements to start getting into the competitive aspect of the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagonos View Post
    Why do you "need" to play ranked mode in the first place? If you can't be good enough on more than 3 or 4 heroes, then stick to coop or quick match. The entire point is having enough heroes to choose from so that: A) you are never unable to choose a hero because all the heroes that you own have already been chosen and B) you can actually have a team comp that will work. Just like with League of Legends, even though this game doesn't officially have top lane, jungle, bot lae, etc you DO still have tanks, assassins, support/healers and if your limited pool of heroes forces you to have a sub optimal comp, then your chances of winning (and more importantly your TEAM's chances of winning) are lower than if you have a diverse pool of champions and are flexible in what roles you can play.

If you don't want to do that, stick to quick match. You could literally own a single hero and play it until you are god with it because you pre-select which hero you're going to play each game. There's nothing wrong with staying in quick match. But you're not entitled to play ranked without meeting a few reasonable criteria. On top of that, let's say you have 3 heroes that you have played to level 5. That's 1500 gold JUST from reaching level 5 on 3 heroes (500g per hero that reaches level 5.) If you got there in quick match, you're getting 30g/win and whatever gold you might have earned from completing daily quests. Owning 10 champions by the time you reach level 30 (which is when you're eligible for Ranked) is REALLY not that hard at all. It's a reasonable requirement.
    Hmm where did i say i can't be good enough on more than 3 or 5 heroes, i even literally said i would never need more than 5. I want to play ranked because i prefer premade setups that don't completely obliterate the competition in QM, the better your opponent the more fun your game will be as the less repetitive it gets due to it being less predictable.

All the rest i also already responded to before, i'm aware of the setup issues, i proposed therefor an alternative i see to be working better.

It remains a reasonable requirement till i want to buy the more expensive heroes that suit my playstyle better, the second i deviate from blizzards plan of "buy the cheap heroes to get enough to play league" you're kinda screwed.

Deleted
    As already mentioned couple times, there is a reason why you need 10 heroes and I'm fine with that. What I don't like is the fact that a lot of people buy all those 2k heroes just for the sake of getting into Ranked as soon as possible, which results of them, usually, performing rather poorly with these heroes.

I would prefer if all heroes were priced equally (approx. 7K).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirea View Post
    As already mentioned couple times, there is a reason why you need 10 heroes and I'm fine with that. What I don't like is the fact that a lot of people buy all those 2k heroes just for the sake of getting into Ranked as soon as possible, which results of them, usually, performing rather poorly with these heroes.

I would prefer if all heroes were priced equally (approx. 7K).
    Believe it or not, that was actually one of the points i was making. I see why 10 heroes are needed i still don't find it to be the most optimal way because it promotes the behavior you list as problematic in league games.

You have to own 10 heroes (at least) because each player has to play a different Hero in ranked. You can't duplicate Heroes in Hero League.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Pretty much. It's a standard case of, "I don't like something because it doesn't cater to me, so I'll present a completely unreasonable alternative and ignore all the reasons why my idea is awful."

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, if someone cannot pick up a new hero and run with it somewhat competently, they they'd suck at any hero.

Almost all the "difficulty" in these games comes from teamplay and strategy, not the minutiae of the mechanical gameplay itself.
    I strongly disagree. With certain heroes I have after 100+ games 70% win ration, with others 45-55%. I'm terrible at playing tanks, I excel at playing sup. Yes, I can play "somewhat competently" tanks, but no way near that good as playing supports.

Deleted
    You can buy 10 heroes by level 20 if you choose cheap ones. Getting 10 by level 30 is not that hard. League champions may be cheaper, but you still have to put a really big IP investment into getting rune sets for the roles you want to play. I don't really understand why people have an issue with 10 champs at level 30 - there's literally nothing else to spend your gold on other than a silly mount. Just don't buy the 10 most expensive champs and you'll be fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    You can buy 10 heroes by level 20 if you choose cheap ones. Getting 10 by level 30 is not that hard. League champions may be cheaper, but you still have to put a really big IP investment into getting rune sets for the roles you want to play. I don't really understand why people have an issue with 10 champs at level 30 - there's literally nothing else to spend your gold on other than a silly mount. Just don't buy the 10 most expensive champs and you'll be fine.
    Maybe people don't want to buy those cheap heroes for the sake of getting into ranked because they don't like those 2K heroes?
    And saying getting heroes by level XY is easy is not true. On my second account I hit level 40 in three days and I didn't have enough gold to buy the cheapest 10 heroes.
    Last edited by mmoc1dbcdc2134; 2015-02-24 at 07:11 PM.

You literally can't play Hero League without that amount of heroes. Not sure what is confusing about that.
    Its 16 in LoL because of bans.

How can you complain about this?
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirea View Post
    Maybe people don't want to buy those cheap heroes for the sake of getting into ranked because they don't like those 2K heroes?
    There's a difference between being forced to buy all 2k champs and simply not buying all of the most expensive ones. So keep playing until you can afford the ones you really want if you must only have the super expensive ones... but that's your choice. Even now, there is enough range of heroes to give something from all roles and all playstyles by level 30. In 6 months or a year or 2 years with new heroes being added constantly there will be even more options.

I don't get why people get so upset over having to put a little work in to unlocking ranked and using a little bit of brain power to select a decent range of champs.

As many people have pointed out, the argument about not needing to get 10 at all is moot since you absolutely have to be able to pick up a champion so cannot have less than 10. So the only argument then becomes people claiming they can't afford to buy 10, which makes no sense to me given the current range of prices.

Maybe you guys are still not understanding this, but to make it perfectly clear:
    You NEED 10 heroes, because if you had 9 or less, its possible that every hero you own could be picked.
    Its literally not possible to make ranked draft without this concept.
    End of discussion.
    There is nothing to complain about, this is just a fact.

As mentioned its 16 in LoL because of bans, so its even more approachable in Heroes.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV