It came out at the end of 2014, and just got released on blueray here in the uk a few weeks ago.

After hearing a lot of phrase about this movie, made in Australia by new director and writer Jennifer Kent, while I often don't pay attention to reviews, a lot of youtube guys I watch said it was good, so I decided to give it a go. I just wanted to have a decent horror movie that wasn't the same as every other one I'd seen in the last five years.

Something I want to make clear before anything else, the trailer of this movie -

It seemed right from the off the movie would be another creature feature, a movie about a horrible monster stalking the main characters, like many other movies have done so before. That is the impression you might have from watching the trailer and not being told otherwise.

However, this movie honestly blew me away in terms of what is achieved, because despite the presentation of the trailer, the movie is far different.

Spoilers from here out (though I won't spoil the ending).

The main focus of the movie, and what made me love it so much came from the performance of the main actress, Essie Davis. A struggling mother, who on the day she was giving birth to her son, her and her husband was involved in a car accident, killing him. From then she had to raise her son on her own with the grief of losing her husband, feeling a deep sense of rejection for her son blaming him for the death deep down inside, and struggling to deal with raising him, since he's a delinquent child, keeping her job, and bottling up the stress her life causes her.
And when her son has her read him a book he finds, mister babadook, things become even more disturbing for her and her life around her, nobody there to help her cope with the stress and grief building inside, even her sister or the school or her boss, she begins to spiral down into a deep depression, made even worse then her son keeps talking about mister babadook, that hes the one breaking things and being the cause of his night terrors.

I won't want to say anymore about the plot, however, seeing Essie Davis' character as the mother, slowly growing more and more stressed, pressured, driving her to the point of madness from how awful life has treated her, its this that gave me goosebumps, her role, not the monsters.

So, I really recommend this one, if your like me wanting to see a 'horror' movie with a difference, no cheap jump scares, none of the usual overused crap in other movies, but a brilliant plot, one that makes you think and reflect, really, watch this movie.