Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

If you could become "statelessness" would you want it?

Since it seems I am less and less representative as a "regular" romanian and because of recent shows like Channel 4's "Romanians Are Comming" I was thinking how good it would be if I had no citizenship. None could call me a gypsy because I'm romanian, none could make fun of how I die of diabetes because I'm a "fat american" and so on...

While I know every other aspect of your life will be harder, taxation, registration of any sort, would any of you take the chance to get rid of your citizenship ?!

To be fair I dislike the majority of my fellow citizens and the current romanian society feels so wrong, but I endure, I work my ass off and pay my taxes.

Deleted
    Well are you a Romanian gypsy?

10+ Year Old Account
    Human beings are natural assholes. Getting rid of your citizenship isn't gonna get rid of a way for people to make fun / broad generalizations of you.

Aside from that, nope.

No. I get a huge amount of benefit for being a US citizen and I pay taxes towards that. If I was not a citizen, either I'd have to leave the country, or be a mooch, or be a temporary resident on VISA in which case I'd basically be a citizen with a lot more paperwork and uncertainty.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

15+ Year Old Account
    You're not suddenly not a part of whatever culture you come from just because you give up your citizenship...

Deleted
    What.

Romanian and gypsy? I thought it was the romani people who were called gypsies etc. Not romanians. Roma and romanians aren't the same, no?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Well are you a Romanian gypsy?
    Nop, slim weight, redhead, white.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by naturestorm View Post
    what's weight and haircolour got to do with gypsies

Lets introduce a white or green colored passport that gives you access to all countries around the world. A society open to people of specific roles/jobs (such as journalist, doctor, scientist, non-profit/charity managers... ) with an independent "government", managed completely via the internet with no real headquarter. You even get processed through a different tax system, where the money taxed does not get wasted on wars since there is no country to be defended in the first place.

After that lets just get away with all other citizenships and open our borders. No Germany, no USA, no China. Just Earth.

And then lets watch it burn

Deleted
    Since it seems I am less and less representative as a "regular" romanian and because of recent shows like Channel 4's "Romanians Are Comming" I was thinking how good it would be if I had no citizenship. None could call me a gypsy because I'm romanian, none could make fun of how I die of diabetes because I'm a "fat american" and so on...

While I know every other aspect of your life will be harder, taxation, registration of any sort, would any of you take the chance to get rid of your citizenship ?!

To be fair I dislike the majority of my fellow citizens and the current romanian society feels so wrong, but I endure, I work my ass off and pay my taxes.
    How would you be not an american if you still live and work in america?
    You are still a romanian even if your passport says otherwise but now you are a romanian that even his own countrymen don't want to be associated with.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili Mooneye View Post
    What.

Romanian and gypsy? I thought it was the romani people who were called gypsies etc. Not romanians. Roma and romanians aren't the same, no?
    It's just that alot of gypsies lived in romania but now they all come here and steal our shit.
    At least that's what the correlation suggests, probably bullshit though.

Anyhow I can see how beeing a romanian can fuck you over abroad.

But that's exaclty how one would describe a gypsy.
    At least for me, tried to google it and all I got was pictures of strippers.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chitika View Post
    But that's exaclty how one would describe a gypsy.
    At least for me, tried to google it and all I got was pictures of strippers.
    Gypsies (Romani) aren't entirely white, they are more Indian (Indian descent). So darker skin and definitely no red hair.

You could just be like me and have triple nationality.
    Then again i see countries as business really, the one that offers you the best deal is where you go to, everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    No. I get a huge amount of benefit for being a US citizen and I pay taxes towards that. If I was not a citizen, either I'd have to leave the country, or be a mooch, or be a temporary resident on VISA in which case I'd basically be a citizen with a lot more paperwork and uncertainty.
    You would not be eligible to constitutional protections afforded to citizens or able to vote in federal elections (state too?). You would also not be able to stay in the country without applying for asylum as you would have no passport to obtain a visa.

Personally, I think you'd have to be insecure and stupid to want to change/lose your nationality just because a few people *might* stereotype you because of it. I don't have any interest in being stateless, although I could see myself moving to France or Switzerland from the US down the road and eventually gaining citizenship there.

I am happy to remain part of a "state". If I am stereotyped because of it then I have no use for those doing the stereotyping.

I can't think of a single reason to renouce one's citizenship other than being edgy and contrarian. I'm drunk...is "contrarian" a word?
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Sometimes I kind of feel 'stateless' to a lesser extent. I'm adopted American, and I'm a US citizen. However, I'm not a natural born citizen, and there are people who feel like I should not be a citizen at all. My ethnicity is okinawan, and my appearance is very malay/thai/pinay. This look, and ethnicity more than suggested that Japan was not and will not ever be a true 'state of origin' for me. To be honest, my sense of home is much more tied to specific locations than to any country. I've traveled to Korea, Canada, France, Germany, UK (layover only), Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Finland, and I never really felt all that more closer to home in the United States until i was back in my hometown.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Sometimes I kind of feel 'stateless' to a lesser extent. I'm adopted American, and I'm a US citizen. However, I'm not a natural born citizen, and there are people who feel like I should not be a citizen at all. My ethnicity is okinawan, and my appearance is very malay/thai/pinay. This look, and ethnicity more than suggested that Japan was not and will not ever be a true 'state of origin' for me. To be honest, my sense of home is much more tied to specific locations than to any country. I've traveled to Korea, Canada, France, Germany, UK (layover only), Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Finland, and I never really felt all that more closer to home in the United States until i was back in my hometown.
    Well sort of the same here, I guess to a much smaller example. People talk about the South (Dixie) being the same, and even though I have traveled all over it, nowhere did I feel like I was at home than in my small hometown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    God made humans to give handjobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Being older isn't an excuse for being wrong or obtuse. Grats on being the guy that makes me side with Didactic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being stateless would be quite empowering under certain circumstances. You could be a total dick to everyone in an airport and they couldn't kick you out.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Deleted
    I was thinking how good it would be if I had no citizenship. None could call me a gypsy because I'm romanian, none could make fun of how I die of diabetes because I'm a "fat american" and so on...
    you could not get
    • Health care
    • Driving licence
    • Passport
    • A bank account
    And so on. Not having citizenship is never a good idea.