Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Oregorger Mythic tipps

My guild tried oregorger mythic last week and today we go back to him. My question is: Has anyone a few good tips for p2? How to walk in p2? As a group or in multi groups? What suggest you?

we have 4 seperate groups covering one corner each, with one healer in each.

If you have at least 4 raiders that are capable of dodging Oregorger, split into four groups (with these 4 people leading each group and calling out when they are in possible danger) should shorten your phase 2, making it easier. However, if you aren't that confident about it, just make one group. Only slightly longer (a bit more damage), but more controlled and simpler phase 2.

10+ Year Old Account

http://i.imgur.com/7zebDmv.png

Not my own work, but if you do it right then he will always roll the same way, and end in the same place.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness View Post
    *snip*

Not my own work, but if you do it right then he will always roll the same way, and end in the same place.
    Way over thinking it. Just get your raiders used to the way he moves. Have someone calling out where he might roll to (there's only ever 2 destinations) and they say when he's definitely going to roll to after he chooses a direction.

My guild uses 2 groups on each half of the room; the mages tend to have their own spot since they stand at the back of the group to dodge the ground AoE so they get separated from the raid.

I don't see how this works.

After roll 1, before roll 2, Oregorger could be in the top left (having run right first) and you've only killed crate 1. So you've not influenced his roll 2 decision at all - so how can you assume he'll then turn right and run down the left hand side? He could turn left, and go back where he started - then the whole scheme falls apart.

Same thing if he turns left first - he could turn left again for roll 2, couldn't he?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePants999 View Post
    I don't see how this works.

After roll 1, before roll 2, Oregorger could be in the top left (having run right first) and you've only killed crate 1. So you've not influenced his roll 2 decision at all - so how can you assume he'll then turn right and run down the left hand side? He could turn left, and go back where he started - then the whole scheme falls apart.

Same thing if he turns left first - he could turn left again for roll 2, couldn't he?
    He rolls always in the direction of ore, so if you have killed one crate, he will take the path closest to that killed crate 1

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasc View Post
    Way over thinking it. Just get your raiders used to the way he moves. Have someone calling out where he might roll to (there's only ever 2 destinations) and they say when he's definitely going to roll to after he chooses a direction.

My guild uses 2 groups on each half of the room; the mages tend to have their own spot since they stand at the back of the group to dodge the ground AoE so they get separated from the raid.
    Wouldn't say overthining. It's really simple for each group to learn this, we ended up 10shotting the boss using this. 6 in phase 1, 4 to learn phase 2, kill.

There's actually an extremely useful addon out now called OregorgerTracker that we've been using that's personally helped me a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by satenito View Post
    Wouldn't say overthining. It's really simple for each group to learn this, we ended up 10shotting the boss using this. 6 in phase 1, 4 to learn phase 2, kill.
    No he is right. This is flat out holding your raiders hands. Have them learn the patterns of his rolls and you can easily kill it within similar number of attempts just using a general positioning strategy in P2.

As for our strat we just assign four groups to each corner of the room and that's it.
    Ixila of Forgotten Aspects - US Hyjal 13/13 Mythic Hellfire Citadel
    My YouTube kill vids!
    Ixila - Holy Paladin - Armory | Ixtide - Resto Shaman - Armory

Quote Originally Posted by IxilaFA View Post
    No he is right. This is flat out holding your raiders hands. Have them learn the patterns of his rolls and you can easily kill it within similar number of attempts just using a general positioning strategy in P2.

As for our strat we just assign four groups to each corner of the room and that's it.

If you can control any element of a fight, why wouldn't you? Killing the boxes in the right order sends him down the exact path you want him to go, in the exact order you want him to. This does several things besides "holding a raiders hands."

1. He ends exactly where he starts, allowing every raider to be in the correct position at the beginning and end of the phase.
    2. Killing the boxes in this order provides 2 opportunities for the raid to stand and plant and squeeze out extra DPS during the phase.
    3. The overall damage taken is reduced because of the shortened p2.

Controlling how a fight progresses is in fact the opposite of hand holding, it is teaching all of your raiders to be more strategic in how they approach encounters. That isn't to say there is anything wrong with splitting into 4 corners and being alert, but there is also nothing wrong with controlling the pathing of Oregorger in this encounter.

Having strategies is now hand holding?

Quote Originally Posted by Khorm View Post
    Yes.

Even world first guilds have a fair amount of hand-holding. Honestly, if you can't kill a raid boss without any bossmods or crutches like Weak Auras then you shouldn't even call yourself a hardcore (or even casually hardcore) raider.

Quote Originally Posted by Khorm View Post
    There's a spectrum from having a general strategy to ensure your raiders are coordinated on one end to controlling their every action on another. Rule of thumb:
    do you need to print a guide out? can you do it with easier strategy & playing a little bit better? If you answered yes to both these questions, just go with easier strategy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slaine Troyard View Post
    Even world first guilds have a fair amount of hand-holding. Honestly, if you can't kill a raid boss without any bossmods or crutches like Weak Auras then you shouldn't even call yourself a hardcore (or even casually hardcore) raider.
    Yeah, no. Try to RL something difficult sometime and then come back and say that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Middari View Post
    Controlling how a fight progresses [...] is teaching all of your raiders to be more strategic in how they approach encounter.
    Except it's not, it is teaching your raiders nothing, they are blindly following the diagram. The 4-corners strategy teaches alertness and personal responsibility. There is nothing wrong per se with trying to control everything in a fight, but I'd take a bunch of '4-corners' alert & adjusting-on-the-fly raiders over the 'look at the diagram 5C. next we execute step 28 of the 50-step plan' raiders anytime. '4-corners' will adjust better when unexpected happens, will give more productive pulls while the strategy is still being formulated and will solve the problems I may not be aware of.

There is also the second part in it - taking more personal responsibility and beating the encounter is more fun. People will be more happy and burn out slower when they had the freedom to improvise (or not improvise), to overcome the adversity in their way, to reach new personal heights when unexpected happened. It is just more memorable, more fun when shit was hitting the fan and you did it anyway - and fun, bonding & memories is why most people play.

There's really only two sides to this: you either accept the strategy and use it or you don't because you're stubborn. Watching Oregorger turn around every 5 seconds only abstractly has something to do with properly aiming marked for death, getting in penetrating shots, pooling damage for elementalists, getting in yellow runes, dodging trains etc. You go on ahead and take an extra half an hour learning Oregorger. I'll take that half an hour and spend it trying to learn a fight I don't have all the answers to yet. You're grasping at straws if you think someone will be noticeably less likely to get hit by the stamping presses just because they got used to watching Oregorger from max camera distance.

This strategy makes Oregorger more or less a loot pinata. I honestly think a good raid leader owes it to his raid to use a strategy that eliminates as many chances for error as possible. This isn't about hand holding, it's about using your limited raid time as well as possible.

Deleted
    Thanks for the strategy. Works like a charm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wombats23 View Post
    There's really only two sides to this: you either accept the strategy and use it or you don't because you're stubborn. Watching Oregorger turn around every 5 seconds only abstractly has something to do with properly aiming marked for death, getting in penetrating shots, pooling damage for elementalists, getting in yellow runes, dodging trains etc. You go on ahead and take an extra half an hour learning Oregorger. I'll take that half an hour and spend it trying to learn a fight I don't have all the answers to yet. You're grasping at straws if you think someone will be noticeably less likely to get hit by the stamping presses just because they got used to watching Oregorger from max camera distance.

This strategy makes Oregorger more or less a loot pinata. I honestly think a good raid leader owes it to his raid to use a strategy that eliminates as many chances for error as possible. This isn't about hand holding, it's about using your limited raid time as well as possible.
    Gotta echo this. If you're not using a P2 strat for Oregorger that strictly controls his possible movement and results in him ending up in the first place, you're being stubborn for the sake of it.

There is absolutely nothing cool or better about using a strat that makes Oregorger's movements completely random. It's just an awful, wanton waste of your raiders' time for the sake of being cute, and IMHO that's inexcusable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by IxilaFA View Post

Actually given the boss rolls in the direction of exposed ore, to not use this to your advantage is pure idiocy. Either you don't feel your raiders have the necessary skill to do the encounter in a way dictated by the boss mechanics (kill boxes in a set order) so you try to wing it by running in random directions and waste time worrying about where the boss is or your raid leader didn't have the necessary ability to work out a way to use the mechanics to his advantage and is now to stubborn to piggyback off someone-else's work.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ellerain View Post

Except it's not, it is teaching your raiders nothing, they are blindly following the diagram. The 4-corners strategy teaches alertness and personal responsibility. There is nothing wrong per se with trying to control everything in a fight, but I'd take a bunch of '4-corners' alert & adjusting-on-the-fly raiders over the 'look at the diagram 5C. next we execute step 28 of the 50-step plan' raiders anytime. '4-corners' will adjust better when unexpected happens, will give more productive pulls while the strategy is still being formulated and will solve the problems I may not be aware of.

There is also the second part in it - taking more personal responsibility and beating the encounter is more fun. People will be more happy and burn out slower when they had the freedom to improvise (or not improvise), to overcome the adversity in their way, to reach new personal heights when unexpected happened. It is just more memorable, more fun when shit was hitting the fan and you did it anyway - and fun, bonding & memories is why most people play.
    Making fun of an actual basic strategy (because that is actually what that diagram is - takes 2 minutes to understand what is going on and at maximum a few wipes in that phsae) is pretty childish. The worst part is because you don't use a roll strategy, you cannot comprehend that the unexpected is impossible to occur with a roll strategy. It eliminates that risk completely.