10+ Year Old Account

Current state of Monks in BRF?

Plan on switching over to my Monk from my DK. How are they looking right now in BRF?

I don't really like DPSing, so I plan on making mine a Tank/Healer. How are those looking in BRF? I know Monk tanks are doing well at the moment, but what about healers? Any reason to take a Monk healer over, say, any other healer at the moment? I know they don't have a lot of utility, so they are more reliant on their mobility and healing output to justify a spot.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Monks tanks are working really well in BRF. Our MW also is doing well as well. I've always enjoyed my monk

It feels like BRF was made for Mistweaving. So many fights involve either crazy burst tank damage (Soothing Mist + Surging Mist) or crazy raid-wide damage (Renewing Mist + Uplift + Revival). My Mistweaver can outheal folks 10-15 ilevels higher on fights like Oregoreger, Kromog, and Flamebender. Those also happen to be some of the more healer-dependent fights.

Lucky us!

Note that tank/healer split spec as a monk is very difficult to pull off, as they require opposite secondary stats so there is basically no gear overlap at all. Tanks want crit/mastery and healers want haste/multistrike.

Quote Originally Posted by Xequecal View Post
    Note that tank/healer split spec as a monk is very difficult to pull off, as they require opposite secondary stats so there is basically no gear overlap at all. Tanks want crit/mastery and healers want haste/multistrike.
    healers tend to want crit as well after ms from what i've heard, but your point still stands. MS isn't very good for Brewmaster unless you're focusing on DPS over survivability, or its a fight with little movement so GotO orbs dont go to waste, while mastery is almost worthless for mistweavers due to how badly it scales.

7+ Year Old Account
    I got the same issue with my specs (main: BrM (Crit/Mastery), off-spec: WW (Haste/MS)). While it's not optimal to DPS in my tank gear (save for neck, cloak, rings, trinkets) it is still viable enough to not be a burden to my guild when I have to play DPS. I haven't done any serious raid healing on my Monk this expansion so far (only MC LFR) I assume it would be the same for a Mistweaver off-spec. Not optimal, but viable. As for a tank off-spec with the wrong gear: for Heroic and below that should work as well. A fully raidbuffed Brewmaster has almost 50% Stagger even with 0 Mastery on gear.

So, as long as you're not trying to play your off-spec in Mythic progression you should be fine as long as you play well, even if your secondary stats are not optimal. After all even non-optimal stats provide you with SOME benefit.
    "We pave the sunlit path toward justice together, brick by brick. This is my brick." - Tim Cook, CEO of Apple

Armory: Monk, Druid, Death Knight, Shaman
    WoWProgress: Monk, Druid, Death Knight, Shaman

Deleted
    Almost, tanks want Mastery/Crit (Haste at 3rd for most, dependant on playstyle, but multistrike is poop for BrM) and healers want Multistrike/Crit (Haste should be third last I checked, but then again, with the changes to mana tea and people going heavy on Spirit now, haste might overtake crit).

The main issue actually being that mastery is not just BAD for Mw, it's outright horrible, while the same can be said for multistrike and BrM.

So yea, Xequecal is right, you need 2 sets basically.

Quote Originally Posted by Sengura View Post
    Plan on switching over to my Monk from my DK. How are they looking right now in BRF?

I don't really like DPSing, so I plan on making mine a Tank/Healer. How are those looking in BRF? I know Monk tanks are doing well at the moment, but what about healers? Any reason to take a Monk healer over, say, any other healer at the moment? I know they don't have a lot of utility, so they are more reliant on their mobility and healing output to justify a spot.
    BrM is widely considered the "best" tank this tier due to their very high physical damage mitigation through Stagger and tons of mastery.
    MW is middle of the pack, currently not seeing a lot (if any) play in Mythic guilds, but are perfectly viable either way as long as you're not a bleeding edge kind of guild.
    WW JUST got buffs, but is still "meh", and they got 2 fights going for them, being HansFranz and Maidens. A little bit Furnace buuut not really.
    Last edited by mmocd37cb64f78; 2015-03-03 at 01:53 PM.

That's not much different than a Tank/DPS monk, as mastery is good for tanks and flat awful for WW. I'd think with the overall less selection of gear and lack of reforging that this stat issue shouldn't be that big of a deal, you can still run two sets that factor stats with ilevel, but it's not as many extra armor pieces as it would have been in the past.
    One Sweet Dream

(Haste at 3rd for most, dependant on playstyle, but multistrike is poop for BrM)
    while the same can be said for multistrike and BrM
    I think you're confused...

Multistrike isn't bad at all. Haste is bad.

Are you guys worried at all that monks are going to get smacked in the face with the nerf bat?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketsauce View Post
    Are you guys worried at all that monks are going to get smacked in the face with the nerf bat?
    with the way blizzard handled monks in highmaul, definately

other classes need it way before monk though

Quote Originally Posted by thomaren View Post
    with the way blizzard handled monks in highmaul, definately

other classes need it way before monk though
    Other tanking classes? I can't think of any that really cheese raid mechanics for far this expansion like BrM can.

10+ Year Old Account
    BrM is by far the best tank atm.

Deleted
    Love my monk! my paladin get's really jealous especially at guard

Deleted

Ww on brf

i play ww monk and i wolud saa Werne in an average spot in single tarvetta fights and we dominate cleave fights liike always but i havent been doing very well on large ale fights liike operator, becoase i Dong liike to use chi explosion.

Ovet all monks are on a great spot on brf.

Deleted
    Brewmaster is (i would say) the best tank atm

Windwalker can now do quite good, and no longer feels like its Holding back the raid

Mistweaver i know nothing about this xpac

On Iron Maidens last night, my BM consistently took less damage than I healed for. Of course, my DK co-tank had the same, though he takes double the damage and does about double the healing. I think tanks in general, at least BM/DK might be headed for some changes, given that one of Blizz's concerns with Tanks towards the end of MOP was that they were basically unkillable except with super large burst. I think the removal of Hit/exp gives us more stats in general, and then making every stat very valuable for survival makes it worse.

Stat priorities are indeed very different for BM vs WW/MW. Mastery/Crit is generally best for BM, though in this tier Versatility may actually be the 2nd best behind mastery since Crit is made less valuable with the 4pc. Agreed that MS/haste are definitely the worst stats for BM and among the best for the other specs. I value haste close to zero and MS's value varies so much fight to fight it's hard to put a value, but I don't give it much when assembling my main gear set.
    Last edited by tachycardias; 2015-03-06 at 02:35 PM.

I got annoyed with some tanks in my heroic kromog pug yesterday and switched to BrM, not having tanked it before and missing a few slams it was a joke with only 673 tanking ilevel with mastery enchants. It's just a really well designed class so that if it's set properly it's going to be great. That is what worries me about nerfs, because it could end up being that because of stagger and guard BrM are either great or not that great at all depending on what blizzard will allow.
    One Sweet Dream

I'll start getting worried about the nerfbat only after I see Paragon using 2 brewmasters. Oh, wait...