Page 1 of 2
LastLast

High elves in Draenor

High elves appear to be rare in Draenor. Most of the Kirin Tor people are either Humans, Gnomes, Blood elves or even Draenei.
    So far I have only found one:
    www.wowhead.com/npc=88757/researcher-sarix

I am curious as to whether there are more.
    Have you seen any additional High elves?

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurluas View Post
    High elves appear to be rare in Draenor. Most of the Kirin Tor people are either Humans, Gnomes, Blood elves or even Draenei.

Being in Dalaran mostly.
    I don't think they need it atm, having blizz focus on other races this time is their design currently.

Well I was asking if anyone had seen more High elf npcs, not whether they were needed or not.

The two elves in Socrethar's Rise seem to be high elves with mistaken blood elf models. Both of them use high elf voices and are Kirin Tor.

Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    The two elves in Socrethar's Rise seem to be high elves with mistaken blood elf models. Both of them use high elf voices and are Kirin Tor.
    aren't you mistaking then with the High Born?
    I mean, Helfs and Belfs are kinda the same.. (kinda) but High Born uses the same model as Nelfs.
    Last edited by Suppressor84; 2015-03-03 at 02:48 PM.

Nope. They use blood elf models (green eyes), but high elf voices. I think the developers wanted them to be high elves but mistaken their models. They probably should have blue eyes.

I noticed those two as well. It isn't the first time a Dalaran blood elf used a High elf voice though when intended to be a Blood elf.
    Although with the Sunreaver's banishment I do wonder about it.

Another thing about those two are their clothes. They use gear that reminds of high elves, from the color blue to the simpler look.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurluas View Post

High elves are not that numerous to begin with anyways.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    High elves are not that numerous to begin with anyways.
    We have a winner. 95% of High Elves died when the scourge roflstomped Quel'thalas. Of them, most became Sin'dorei to honour the dead. A small minority (who disputed the measures the desperate leadership took to restore a shattered nation) fled Quel'thalas and aligned themselves with their people's enemy (a new alliance, formed half a world away from Quel'thalas).

That's a pretty narrow demographic.

Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    Nope. They use blood elf models (green eyes), but high elf voices. I think the developers wanted them to be high elves but mistaken their models. They probably should have blue eyes.
    high elves do have green eyes also, just not glowy fel infused ones. but currently, the new blood elf model doens't seem to have glowy eyes, or at least they glow as much as blue version does

dunno what is going on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor84 View Post
    aren't you mistaking then with the High Born?
    I mean, Helfs and Belfs are kinda the same.. (kinda) but High Born uses the same model as Nelfs.
    massive discussion bout the name of elves, but, Helfs and Belfs are all highborne technically speaking, as are the shen'drelar. Highborne is the translation of Quel'dorei in Darnassian,and this is what Night elves call all of them i.e. shen'drelar, high elf and blood elf.

so technically you should say " aren't you mistaking them with the night elf highborne. Afterall Kal'dorei is what the night elves call all Elves.

but when they meet them, the humans call them night elves because they're darker skinned and nocturnal. I guess the name stuck..

I think if you want to specifically refer to the main group of night elves that are part of the alliance, and are not highborne, the correct term would be in their language, Darnassian.

Kal'dorei - ALL elves - children of the stars
    Quel'dorei - a caste of Kal'dorei tramslated Highborne meaning children of noble birth.
    High Elves - the group of highbourne that was led by Darth'remar, founded Quel'thalas, renamed themselves High Elves which is the translation of Quel'dorei, but in Thalassian.
    Blood elves - the name the vast majority of high elves started calling themselves to honour their fallen friends in the Scourge attack, now a distinct group from the high elves (thalassian), but still highborne (darnassian)
    Shen'drelar - a group of highborne that have been living in Eldre'thalas these past 10,000 years now emerged and forced the hand of the night elves to end the ban on all highborne and start using arcane magic again.

All highborne are Elves or Kal'dorei
    All blood elves are Highborne
    all high elves are highborne
    All shen'drelar are highborne

Those not highborne we currently refer to as Darnassian or Night Elves

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by composemail View Post
    We have a winner. 95% of High Elves died when the scourge roflstomped Quel'thalas. Of them, most became Sin'dorei to honour the dead. A small minority (who disputed the measures the desperate leadership took to restore a shattered nation) fled Quel'thalas and aligned themselves with their people's enemy (a new alliance, formed half a world away from Quel'thalas).

anyway, percentages mean nothing when you don't know the actual numbers, and it was 90% wasn't it? of those at the time, truth be told there will be as many high elves as blizzard want there to be when there want there to be them, same with any other race.

we thought gnomes were pretty exhausted right.. until you do that quest in Uldum with their sand crawler - where did all those gnomes come from?

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post

anyway, percentages mean nothing when you don't know the actual numbers, and it was 90% wasn't it? of those at the time, truth be told there will be as many high elves as blizzard want there to be when there want there to be them, same with any other race.

we thought gnomes were pretty exhausted right.. until you do that quest in Uldum with their sand crawler - where did all those gnomes come from?
    We have other indicators, like these

High elves are a rare sight even in Alliance lands, and are considered a fallen, all but extinct race.
    http://wow.gamepedia.com/Night_of_the_Dragon

In consequence, there are so few high elves left on Azeroth today that they cannot be considered a race in anything other than the biological sense.High elves do not gather in any significant numbers, nor do they act as a coordinated whole. They are a very small group of individuals scattered all over the world. As such, they do not have common opinions or goals. Indeed, modern high elves cannot even truly be said to have a culture--only a past filled with glory and regret.
    http://wow.gamepedia.com/The_Warcraf...dia/High_Elves

Quote Originally Posted by composemail View Post

No more narrow than the playable Blood Elves, Gnomes, Trolls, or Draenei.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrox View Post
    No more narrow than the playable Blood Elves, Gnomes, Trolls, or Draenei.
    Blood elves don't fit in there, because we know they greatly outnumber high elves.

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    I still thinks fans are putting too much credence on the population thing, high elves are rare, but there will always be enough around to serve whatever purpose blizzard want them to have, and if they need more, they simply need to write a new source.

they could write more blood elf defections
    they could write a larger number of elves form other places like outland and wherever Alleria/turalyon and their group went to

i've never put much stock in reasons in fantasy settings because i know writers can change whatever they want whenever they want whethe rit's a good change depends on how they do it. the worse is if they do it like soap operas..but hey, I hope it doesn't get any worse than it is now ?

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    I still thinks fans are putting too much credence on the population thing, high elves are rare, but there will always be enough around to serve whatever purpose blizzard want them to have, and if they need more, they simply need to write a new source.

they could write more blood elf defections
    they could write a larger number of elves form other places like outland and wherever Alleria/turalyon and their group went to

i've never put much stock in reasons in fantasy settings because i know writers can change whatever they want whenever they want whethe rit's a good change depends on how they do it. the worse is if they do it like soap operas..but hey, I hope it doesn't get any worse than it is now ?
    They could ,but they shouldn't to keep consistency. High elves can become playable, if the player gets constant reminders that they are part of a truly dying people and not you are one of few, you are one of a doomed race that will fade from existence, with no capital city, their own zone, army etc.

Really the 'low demographic' argument doesn't apply to any race in this game... playable goblins were fit on one freaking ship, how many of them can there be around? There are Bilgewater goblin NPCs around, blackfuse and all the goblins that joined garrosh for profit and most likely died there, and considering how the race likes to blow themselves up, it leaves very little space for them to be playable, and yet, we can play them and there are constantly new bilgewater goblin npcs popping out.

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    Really the 'low demographic' argument doesn't apply to any race in this game... playable goblins were fit on one freaking ship, how many of them can there be around? There are Bilgewater goblin NPCs around, blackfuse and all the goblins that joined garrosh for profit and most likely died there, and considering how the race likes to blow themselves up, it leaves very little space for them to be playable, and yet, we can play them and there are constantly new bilgewater goblin npcs popping out.
    Because unlike high elves there are plenty of goblins around who switch sides quite often to gain profit and are said to breed very fast.

Anyway a low demographic is fine as long as it is properly introduced and playable high elves really need to be told that they are part of one desperate scattered people, with pretty much nothing on their own, trying to cling to the slightest hopes to survive and somehow recover in the years to come during their starting experience, anything else would be disappointing.

Unless they pull another bullshit like WoD again.

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    They could ,but they shouldn't to keep consistency. High elves can become playable, if the player gets constant reminders that they are part of a truly dying people and not you are one of few, you are one of a doomed race that will fade from existence, with no capital city, their own zone, army etc.
    true they shouldn't, their story feels more gimmicky when hey jsut change things, especially retcon things, unless the change is really really good.

i'm still waiting to hear the reasons why the troll history was changed from post-sundering to pre-sundering, or rather than changed, because i't not like the time was set in stone, why they chose to present it as pre sundering rather than the assumed post-sundering to which there had been indications. IS there something more? or were they just wanting to further separate their universe from classic tolkein?

we all love blizzard because it takes from all the popular cult fictions and throws them together in this universe in a way that really works, often forging new identities for old favourites (heroes and villain races alike) in a way everyone likes.

but I have yet to see the reasons or the genius in placing the troll history there because at the moment, it takes more from the elves than it gives to the trolls.. or is there something more to it incoming that we'll all like?

Guys you're going offtopic.
    I just asked if you had seen more High elf npcs on Draenor.