Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

American jailed in United Arab Emirates for Facebook posts made in the USA

Frustrated with his employer in the United Arab Emirates, Ryan Pate, a civilian helicopter mechanic from Belleair Bluffs, criticized the company and made a rash, derogatory comment toward Arabs on Facebook while back home in January.

Last month, when he returned to the UAE to work out his employment issues, Pate received a call from the Abu Dhabi police directing him to come in.

“I didn’t know why and they wouldn’t tell me,” said Pate, 30, a 2005 graduate of Largo High School.

After arriving at the police station, Pate said he was accused of violating an Emerati cybercrimes law for slandering his employer, which brought the charges against him. Pate said he was arrested and taken to jail. Now free on bail, he is scheduled to stand trial March 17 and could face up to five years in prison and a $50,000 fine.
    http://tbo.com/list/military-news/an...150302/?page=1

The world is a lot smaller than some people realise!

Also, there seems to be at least some hypocrisy here since the US has sought to arrest, arrested, or convicted foreign citizens for activities outside US jurisdiction (excluding anything to do with wars).

Deleted
    So what is his nationality? It isn't made clear and if it isn't US then why does the US even have any right to intervene?

He should be happy they didn't execute him on spot, which tends to be a trend if your dare to criticize them.

I think this is a very dangerous and disturbing mentality where what you say on your own time can hinder things just because of where you post it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Siffi View Post
    So what is his nationality? It isn't made clear and if it isn't US then why does the US even have any right to intervene?
    Largo High School should give us a hint.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    As should Bellaire Bluffs. Or "while back home".

The guy doesn't strike me as particularly smart.

Deleted
    Cause every person who visited a US highschool is legally a us citizen?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    I think this is a very dangerous and disturbing mentality where what you say on your own time can hinder things just because of where you post it.
    Isn't that the opposite of what people say when things recorded illegally around politicians make 7:00 PM news?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    I'm done here, why did I actually bother to give a serious reply on page 1 I guess this is a perfect example of why discussions on the internet are so fucking pointless
    Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist View Post
    Overthrowing governments is far different than trying to influence a population

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    http://tbo.com/list/military-news/an...150302/?page=1

The world is a lot smaller than some people realise!

Also, there seems to be at least some hypocrisy here since the US has sought to arrest, arrested, or convicted foreign citizens for activities outside US jurisdiction (excluding anything to do with wars).

No, those people (and I mean those people) are insane. They sent a college kid to prison for openly discussing religion online and they fined/jailed a man for telling his wife "I don't love you".

Those people (again I mean those people) are insane.

That American needs to call his embassy and get the hell out of that nation ASAP. Just leave..... even if they pass judgement on him it wont matter.

he was arrested for slander right so what did he actually say. i mean if he clammed his boss was secretly selling nukes to isis or something like that i could see a slander charge.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeno View Post
    Isn't that the opposite of what people say when things recorded illegally around politicians make 7:00 PM news?
    IMO there is a difference between what a random Joe says about his employer, and what drivel we hear from politicians, politicians have a great deal of responsibility on their shoulders and have to be aware of their public image at all times. While I would agree the guy in question wasn't very smart, I don't think he deserves punishment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Siffi View Post
    Cause every person who visited a US highschool is legally a us citizen?
    The article clearly states he's from Bellair Bluffs. It's ok though, reading is hard I know.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't see why it's weird that he got arrested. You can't just go out of your country to break their laws and then cross back over the border and be immune to prosecution, especially when the laws you break work globally (the internet) and is directed towards an entity within their borders. Being from the US doesn't make you immune to the laws of countries you visit/work in.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    IMO there is a difference between what a random Joe says about his employer, and what drivel we hear from politicians, politicians have a great deal of responsibility on their shoulders and have to be aware of their public image at all times. While I would agree the guy in question wasn't very smart, I don't think he deserves punishment.
    If you're posting on a public forum where other human beings will see what you type, you should most certainly know that your public image is being shaped in some form. And when did politicians not become candidates for having personal lives/their own personalities even in private?
    I'm done here, why did I actually bother to give a serious reply on page 1 I guess this is a perfect example of why discussions on the internet are so fucking pointless

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    I don't see why it's weird that he got arrested. You can't just go out of your country to break their laws and then cross back over the border and be immune to prosecution, especially when the laws you break work globally (the internet) and is directed towards an entity within their borders. Being from the US doesn't make you immune to the laws of countries you visit/work in.
    How fucking stupid are the laws though if you get jail for up to 5 years for saying something about your perceived shitty job. I know free speech isn't the forte of the arabian peninsula, but god damn.

15+ Year Old Account
    How fucking stupid are the laws though if you get jail for up to 5 years for saying something about your perceived shitty job. I know free speech isn't the forte of the arabian peninsula, but god damn.
    Yeah, they have insane laws, heavily influenced by the crazy disproportionate punishments of Sharia law, but it's not exactly surprising that they enforce them when broken.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeno View Post
    If you're posting on a public forum where other human beings will see what you type, you should most certainly know that your public image is being shaped in some form. And when did politicians not become candidates for having personal lives/their own personalities even in private?
    I still think it's an overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    I still think it's an overreaction.
    Depends on the laws, honestly.

Deleted
    And what exactly does it matter how stupid a law is?? I think the death penalty is stupid and backwards idea, yet it is still done in America.