Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Teach them nonsense bad words like BIDDOO! And NAKT!

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Stop perpetuating the idea of swear words.
    I once read a book where "brother-fighter" was an unacceptable obscenity.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have kids, so I can't really answer the OP.

As for growing up, my parents didn't curse much except for the occasional ass or shit. In my teens I think my dad maybe said fuck once or twice.

I've never really seen the point in cursing all the time. Me, I only curse a few times a year so when I do curse people know I'm serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    But back OT, my father was in the Navy, and and always thought that any and all words have meaning, and all have proper usage. Thus I was raised around a large amount of "swear words", and learned quite well that each and every one of them had a set of appropriate and inappropriate usages.
    Most of the "inappropriate" usages can be said otherwise.

Say, "Fuck you." It's succinct. But it conveys meaning similar to...

"Walk away and die in a fire."
    "Keep talking with your mouth, so that my fist might get a word."
    etc.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Kids learn them and you just explain that they are bad words and are not to be said until they are adults. I swear and my kids just know not to repeat them.
    Sometimes it ain't that easy

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangaxx View Post
    Sometimes it ain't that easy
    Oh yeah, how naive parents are...

My cousin, who's 9, is seen as a little beautiful princess by her parents. And she acts real nice and adorable when they're around. Once those two leave the room she starts to rabble as much about sex sex sex as possible and penises and vaginas and butts, it's crazy. Even for a guy like me it starts to get uncomfortable fairly quickly.

The only thing parents learn kids is that they're not allowed to say those words when they're around. Not to stop using them in general.

Deleted
    So..the delivery man from the supermarket came yesterday to our home, he's bringing the grocery bags in the house blah blah, suddenly my 3 yr old son yells "Te voy a romper el culo!("I'm going to kick your ass" would be the translation, said with emphasys on the "ass" part....) . He must have heard me saying that i suppose, although i try to be cautious. Did this happen to you in some way? Any funny anecdotes maybe?
    School, street, TV. The regular means of education for today's kids. Not really the parents' fault.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jasdasm View Post
    Make clear that Words are just Words and cannot hurt you unless you ignore that its just Words
    I'd go the exact opposite and teach my kids that words can indeed hurt and are equivalent to physical hits. Naturally I'd want to teach them that hurting others is bad.

I never said a single swear word until I was 17.
    That is highly unlikely unless you didn't talk at all.

Deleted
    I never said a single swear word until I was 17.
    And why was that, your parents told you not to use them and suddenly you went all nun? Honestly, I do not believe you just tell your kids it's wrong to use those words and that makes them obey. Children are no angels, by far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Ever been in Britain? I hear the word "fuck" on a day by day basis.

Teaching your children not to swear has nothing to do with free will or "saying what you want to say!" Regardless of what you think, there are people in the world that find such language rude. You need to teach your children when it's not appropriate to use those words so they avoid getting themselves in trouble. Whether it be teachers in school, customers/employers at work, or something else. There's a time and place for everything, and it's your responsibility as a parent to teach that to your children.

But yes, most kids pick it up because of social influences. TV, parents, friends, friends' parents, teachers... there's so many way they'll hear it you can't avoid it happening without locking them in the house.

Deleted
    So..the delivery man from the supermarket came yesterday to our home, he's bringing the grocery bags in the house blah blah, suddenly my 3 yr old son yells "Te voy a romper el culo!("I'm going to kick your ass" would be the translation, said with emphasys on the "ass" part....) . He must have heard me saying that i suppose, although i try to be cautious. Did this happen to you in some way? Any funny anecdotes maybe?
    I... don't want to know why exactly you say "Imma split yo ass" back home so many times that your kid actually picks it up
    Jokes aside, kids do pick it up even if you're careful.
    I think it's because when you swear you're obviously angry at something so you might say it once in a while but you say it with focus.
    My nephew learned a curse word and he wouldn't stop saying it. It was embarrassing and hilarious

Deleted
    This seems appropriate.

I would not care if I had a child swore, as long as it was used in the right context and not used as an insult to people they should be showing respect to. After all they ARE without doubt going to swear when you are not in ear shot. No use getting upset over something they will use on a daily basis in school yards.

Deleted
    Was for me.

But I'm one of those parents that actually parents.
    Aaaah so you're good and we ALL suck don't we!

No, it's not. Not all us needed to or wanted to swear. I was taught is was very uncouth and very unladylike to do so. I do it very little now, but as a kid I respected my parents wishes and did what they expected out of me.
    There is a difference between 'saying a swear word' and 'swearing', but even the latter is unlikely.

I learned my first swear word from my dad. He said it once in my presence, and then I kept repeating it for a week :P
    My mum was not happy about it..

My dad also once showed me how to make gallows knot, when he was teaching me various sailor knots. Again, he showed it once, and told me that I shouldn't learn it.. That's the only knot I remember xD

Basically kids catch those words veeery quickly, and abuse the fuck out of them..
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Deleted
    It seems like out of control kids and parents that allow them to be is the norm. It's kinda sad.
    Wait, so kids that swear are now out of control? You better stay the fuck out of most of Europe in that case or you'll get an unpleasant surprise.

Deleted
    I grew up in Europe.
    Southern European / Brit?

Deleted
    It seems like out of control kids and parents that allow them to be is the norm. It's kinda sad.
    It happens for kids to pick up a "fuck" or a "shit" even if you're careful.