Question Critical strikes working?

I have noticed for some time now that the percentage of my attacks which crit (according to recount) is about 10% lower than what my character pane is telling me it should be. Allegedly my crit rate with raid buff is 35.41%, yet all my attacks seem to be critting at around 25-27%.

It occurred to me that perhaps the "Critical Strikes" passive is not working properly. Or is it perhaps some other issue I'm not aware of. The other rogue in my group has noticed the same thing so I know it's not all in my head.

Thanks in advance for any and all help with this.
    Last edited by Blayke; 2015-03-04 at 12:47 AM.

Deleted
    Probably working as intended. If you dps the target dummy for a very very very long period of time, you'll get to around 35.41% crit chance. I'm guessing you're just looking at the number for BRF fights, which aren't long enough to check it.

Well if statistical variance is the case, you'd expect to see some outliers both above AND below the expected crit rate. If all their attacks are consistently showing significantly lower, it's likely not a sample size issue.

Do raid bosses still have the crit suppression mechanic in place in WoD?

Crit suppression was only 3%, and I seem to recall reading somewhere that there is no crit suppression in WoD, although I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Still having this issue tho. I also noticed that "critical strikes" is not in my spellbook. Has it been removed, or is it just another passive talent which, like assassin's resolve, blizzard doesn't want me to be able to easily see?

This is kinda pissing me off because once I got my 2pc I cranked up the crit as much as i could and I figured with 35% of my attacks critting good things would happen, so I was very dismayed to find out I'm only critting at a rate 10% below that.

So if anyone has the straight scoop on this I'd be very, very grateful for some help. Thanks.

Terribly sorry about bumping my own post, but I'm still having this issue and, as I really didn't get much in the way of answers when I first posted this, I was hoping someone might have an answer to this. My attacks should be critting at a 35% rate, and in reality I'm lucky if any of my attacks even approaches 30%. I'm basing this on Recount after an entire raid (not just one fight), and I've checked this after several raids, so this should be enough of a sample size so that my actual crit % at least approximates the crit rate in my character pane (currently 34.99%).

Again, thanks for any help.

Recount doesn't record everything correctly. I'd double-check with warcraftlogs before starting getting worried.

set up your char smashing a dummy for a good hour? see what the avg is then?

Quote Originally Posted by Blayke View Post
    Terribly sorry about bumping my own post, but I'm still having this issue and, as I really didn't get much in the way of answers when I first posted this, I was hoping someone might have an answer to this. My attacks should be critting at a 35% rate, and in reality I'm lucky if any of my attacks even approaches 30%. I'm basing this on Recount after an entire raid (not just one fight), and I've checked this after several raids, so this should be enough of a sample size so that my actual crit % at least approximates the crit rate in my character pane (currently 34.99%).

Again, thanks for any help.
    Also keep in mind, if you're fighting an enemy higher level than you, There is crit suppression to account for. Should be 1% per level. So raid boss/dummy is 3% (lvl 103)

I've noticed this aswell, but another thing i have noticed is that multi-strike crits almost always make up the lost %... i reckon there's something funky going on here

Just tried it on a dummy,seems to average at ~13% with a sheet crit chance of ~19%. Should be something ~16% taking crit suppression(lvl 102 dummy, and missed hits of block into account.
    (1 − 0.06parry) × (19%-2%supression)= 0.1598 if I understood it correct.
    That is for normal melee auto attacks.

Was not long enough and no big enough difference to really rule out rng though.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking at some raid logs of me, there the numbers with boss crit supression and raid buffs seem be ok. Dunno why they are off solo on the dummy.

I haven't tested, but it's possible that Recount is incorrectly calculating Crit as a result of Multistrike. Like normal crits / (normal hits + normal crits + MS hits + MS crits), something like that would depress the displayed value by quite a bit, depending on how much MS you have. My numbers appear accurate on WCL, for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by nordveien View Post
    Recount doesn't record everything correctly. I'd double-check with warcraftlogs before starting getting worried.
    Quote Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post
    I haven't tested, but it's possible that Recount is incorrectly calculating Crit as a result of Multistrike. Like normal crits / (normal hits + normal crits + MS hits + MS crits), something like that would depress the displayed value by quite a bit, depending on how much MS you have. My numbers appear accurate on WCL, for what it's worth.
    So I checked my logs as advised, and it appears that I am critting around 35% give or take. My faith in Recount just took a nosedive :/

Thanks to all those who took the time to answer.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    https://twitter.com/WarcraftDevs/sta...33770459185152

Blupr ‏@jmxdlol Mar 16
    @WarcraftDevs @Celestalon is crit chance reduced versus raid bosses?

@WarcraftDevs
    @jmxdlol @Celestalon Crit chance is affected by the target’s level, yes.