Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Maybe it got gobbled up by your spam filters?
    I did check =/ , i even tried another [gmail] acc, even a hotmail one, but nay. Well there's no hurry afterall, i will try it for sure when i can register

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyndeleron View Post
    ha reminds me when I first encountered boob physics in this game XD I felt really immersed in the world at that moment
    Boobs have physics too?
    Never really noticed that. But then again, proper Whitemage robing isn't exactly a "boob highlighter".

I have subscriptions going for both WoW and FFXIV right now.

What I find is that I feel like I have to log into WoW to get my daily/weekly 'chores' done before I can allow myself to log into FFXIV and simply have fun playing the game. Some of that may be due to having a WoW raiding toon vs a FFXIV leveling toon, though, so I'm not yet deeply immersed in FFXIV's endgame.
    Last edited by Khime; 2015-03-04 at 06:27 PM.

...Worst thing are the FRENCH if you play EU. Not all of them, mind you, but many of them don't seem to understand the simplest English sentences.
    If you don't have a translator in your group and the french dude doesn't know the encounter ... you're basically screwed...
    Don't have anything VS french ppl, and i don't want to soun offensive, but sounds to me like League of Legends all the way again =P

10+ Year Old Account
    i really like that game but i'm not playing it (dont know why ._,)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shigma View Post
    I did check =/ , i even tried another [gmail] acc, even a hotmail one, but nay. Well there's no hurry afterall, i will try it for sure when i can register
    have another screenshot to salivate over :<

Best headpiece ever: I am Locutus of BORG, you will be assimilated!

- - - Updated - - -

Don't have anything VS french ppl, and i don't want to soun offensive, but sounds to me like League of Legends all the way again =P
    Well I guess that comes with the territory when you put different language regions into the same LFG queue.

But 95% of my dungeon runs are no problem.

have another screenshot to salivate over :<

Best headpiece ever: I am Locutus of BORG, you will be assimilated!

- - - Updated - - -

Well I guess that comes with the territory when you put different language regions into the same LFG queue.

But 95% of my dungeon runs are no problem.
    Haha, looks nice!

BTW, is that place you are your house in-game? Since i randomly ended one day here on a thread where everyone was posting screenshots of their houses and they looked really nice ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer to use the Inn room (this is Gridania) because when you log out via the bed is such an uber cute "going to sleep animation". <3

Doesn't work with beds in your own house .

Well email finally arrived to hotmail account (took a good while, lol)

-You, as a WoW player (I really want the opinion from WoW players, i don't discard others', but if so, please say it in your post), have you tried FF XIV?
    I've dabbled in MMORPGs, but here are my big ones in the past:
    EverQuest - About 5 years
    Final Fantasy XI - About 1 year
    World of Warcraft - 9 years
    Final Fantasy XIV - About a month
    Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Since launch

So yeah, I've played WoW for an extended period and I'm now playing XIV.

-Did you enjoy it compared to WoW?

I love it compared to WoW now, actually. FFXIV: ARR gives me that classic WoW/BC era feel but with some modern improvements and benefits as well as features WoW hasn't offered.

-Ups and downs VS WoW?

Pro
    Graphics are fantastic
    Main Story is interesting to me and actually continues to grow.
    Cut scenes are enjoyable, though some get tired of them and some are a bit long.
    The balance of casual content with progression content is great.
    There's been no impact on the game due to PvP as it's separate in skills.
    Fine tune development. When ninja came out, it was a little OP and nerf was incoming. After the nerf was revealed, players took it well. It wasn't a heavy hit, just some tweaking. There's been no pendulum swings on nerfs/buffs. Just small tweaks when needed.
    Masses of content.
    And they do a great job of keeping old content useable so new players aren't left with horrendously long queues. I like the way they've kept "old" content relevant throughout the game as we near expansion.
    The gear is absolutely amazing.

Cons
    There's still some grinds. If you go for relic weapon it's definitely a grind (though not necessary)
    Leveling additional classes, even with some boosts, is kind of long.
    If you're like me and enjoy alts, the game really makes it hard to keep up with alts. There's enough to do on one character, I don't have time for another.
    I can't enjoy WoW's gear whatsoever because FFXIV spoiled me. >_>

Not game related but still Pro:
    The absolute passion and humble way the developers interact with fans. Yoshida is treated like a rock star, but really seems to feel humbled by it. At Fan Fest in Vegas, he was on the floor doing the archery alongside players. After he was done, he stood around next to the booth for about 20 minutes taking photos and signing autographs. They cut him off (time to go get ready for a panel) and he started to leave. People were walking up because they just realized it was him and there were con workers holding them back. Yoshida noticed a woman with a disability (I won't try to guess what) was just beaming a smile seeing him and he stepped over and talked to her, signed an autograph and took a photo with her.

Soken is the head composer and has the same passion and humor and they make fun of their own team during panels. Yoshida goes by Yoshi-P on the forums and they call him Yoshi-Primal because he wipes their work. Soken talked about doing pieces of music on Wed for following week's patch and Yoshida would listen and just say "No. Recompose, please." A lot of down to the wire work, but they all seemed to absolutely love what they were doing and loved how much fans seemed to enjoy it.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to drop a PM. I'd be happy to answer if nobody on the threat catches it.

Regarding the 2.5 GCD
    Depending on your class, you might be happy for this. Monk and Dragoon in particular are not just about rotation to maximize your performance, but positioning. Rotation could go like this:
    Behind enemy, hit 1
    Move to enemy's side as cool down ends, hit 2
    Move behind enemy, hit 3

Your positioning should be done during the cool down so you hit as soon as it's up and are in position to get the positional bonus. You'll also get gear or materia in some cases to increase skill speed and reduce the GCD. Ninja, with their mudra buff up, has a 2.0 GCD.

It WILL feel slow at first. But movement is a huge factor in the game and you have to not only keep a rotation up for DPS, but you have limited time to hit an ability to maintain damage buffs, etc. on some classes. Monk and ninja are two I particularly think of that have a good bit to juggle and fight a clock against their positioning. It makes for a pretty fun experience, though.

And "don't stand in stuff" has some pretty creative uses of where things are hit on the floor. Criss cross patterns, swirl patterns, half the room, or the entire room and you have to get hit on the red side/white side alternating.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2015-03-04 at 06:52 PM.

Hardcore wow player for 10 years, recently switched over to FFXIV to raid there, haven't gotten quite there yet as the leveling is so damn slow. Somewhat similar to early aion if you played that.

I like it a lot so far despite the slow leveling. The main difference/s is the combat, you have a 2.5 sec global cooldown, were close to all spells as a caster have 2.5 sec cast timer anyways. Few longer, few shorter. That is what most players dislike about the game, but I got used to it quick at least. Once again, if you played aion the casting and combat is somewhat similar. In aion you have like 2 sec cast timers followed by a fairly long animation. Here is the same, except that the animation doesn't lock you in place which is my biggest annoyance with this game. It happened quite a lot that I move after the cast is finished, but not the animation so it gets cancelled completely and I have to re-cast the spell.

Leveling has a lot of running and plenty of quests, very little pure mob grind and by that I mean you don't run out of quests and have to kill mobs to get the last 50% of your lvl. But there are some fates (quests that spawn on your map, you run to them and kill mobs until the bar hits 100%, like shattrath city or the pit quest) where you kill a lot of mobs for like 2-5 min at the time.

The questions I asked when I thought about starting was endgame and population. FFXIV got about 2 mil subscribers which is the 2nd largest after wow (disregarding 100% asian mmo's), meaning there are always tons of players online. Like aion, FFXIV got a lot more older players and women. The atmosphere is a lot nicer and less childish.

The endgame seems really good, however I've been told that most of it is puggable with decent players. So not all that difficult compared to wow.

Don't have the slightest clue about pvp though, there is some form of pvp from what I saw in my duty finder (group finder).

Researc in the jobs (you have sub-classes like rift, but then they build into the "main" class at a higher lvl). Some classes have long and complex rotations like monk or ninja, while others like black mage have very few spells (as in a total of 5-10 spells while wow is at 30+ after removing spells).

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Thanks for your opinions

Well, even tho i was enjoying wow til SoO, tbh and WoD levelling experience, it got really boring for me. Im somone who terribly misses wow old times (vanilla/TBC), call it nostalgia or whatever, but it is indeed the period i enjoyed the most.

Knowing this is exactly what you like about it sounds good!

Well, about alts that could be a problem (I have 22-24? cant remember 90+ chars in WoW, all classes both factions and my favourite ones repeated hehe), but again, i began to do this since the WTLOK, since in vanilla and TBC, i only had time to have 1-2 maxed chars, so i guess i can live with it.

Deleted
    waifu/pedoshit simulator, which means that it's shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nara Numas View Post
    Not liking a game from your personal experience is no need to be so condescending about it...
    Quite the contrary. I like the game as a whole, I'm just not blind to the fact that both WoW and FFXIV both have good qualities and both have things they could improved upon.

For what i'm reading, inmersion is great on this game, which is cool, since lately WoW has lost all of this for me. I'm also a big FF games fan, at least from VI to X that is, and some "sub games", but i really love the way stories are told and the worlds where they happen
    Oh, on this note? Nostalgia is abound in the game.

You've got Cid, Biggs, and Wedge.
    They have other characters given a wink in the Triple Triad card game
    Lightning had a limited time only cameo in FATE (active things out in the world) you could get her hairstyle and outfit (female) or Snow's (male)
    They have veteran rewards. Your sub time adds up to get these rewards. 2 year marker is going to be Cloud's clothes from Advent Children. They're usually pets and mounts or barding (clothes) for your chocobo mount.
    Goldsmith crafting "class gear" is Locke's from FF6
    Setzer from FF6 had his gear put in
    Gilgamesh is in the game
    Ultros has appeared in the game.

Lots of nostalgia nods without feeling like they don't belong in the world of Eorzea.

Indifferent.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Wait, what's that? Games within the same genre generally have very similar elements? Woaaaaaaaaaaaah.
    The problem about MMORPGs is, that the genre defines the game way too much.

I think the great time of MMORPGs is over. People are burned out by the genre and any game that fits into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavin View Post
    It surprises me how many "veteran" WoW players are into FFXIV. I was in between trying this one or giving a second chance to Wildstar ( I played the... eeh... beta maybe? Dunno how i got some email with an invitation to play it and went on with those guys infected with whatever as a rogue and even whilee it wasn't bad, it didnt make it for me). And the comparasions you WoW players are making are being really nice to have an idea about FFXIV ^^

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Oh, on this note? Nostalgia is abound in the game.

You've got Cid, Biggs, and Wedge.
    They have other characters given a wink in the Triple Triad card game
    Lightning had a limited time only cameo in FATE (active things out in the world) you could get her hairstyle and outfit (female) or Snow's (male)
    They have veteran rewards. Your sub time adds up to get these rewards. 2 year marker is going to be Cloud's clothes from Advent Children. They're usually pets and mounts or barding (clothes) for your chocobo mount.
    Goldsmith crafting "class gear" is Locke's from FF6
    Setzer from FF6 had his gear put in
    Gilgamesh is in the game
    Ultros has appeared in the game.

Lots of nostalgia nods without feeling like they don't belong in the world of Eorzea.
    Wow, sounds pretty nice! Good to know

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    Indifferent.
    Well, it is an opinion aswel haha, thx =P

I recently tried FF XIV A Real Reborn (no idea if that's different than regular XIV, the whole franchise confuses the shit out of me) and to be honest I didn't really like it.

I couldn't care less about the story of an MMO; that's what a single player game is for. The combat was ok, not great. The class selection sucked, and had I stuck with the game apparently I would've been forced to tank (warrior) despite not being told that in the character creation screen. The way the zones are set up is very reminiscent of Age of Wushu (random creatures grouped together; monkeys in the north, spiders in the south, etc. for no apparent reason, i.e. no camps) which is one thing I hated about that game. WoW, GW2, and many other MMOs I'm sure blend the enemies together, and when a game doesn't do that it completely ruins the immersion imo. Maybe that gets fixed in later zones, idk.

Overall it didn't have that magic feel that drew me into WoW and (to an extent) GW2.

I played a bit of FF14 (post 2.0) and liked it, but unfortunately, I'm Australian, which means that I can't hope to ever get better than 200ms ping. Even connecting to the JP servers instead of the NA ones - which is typical advice offered to Australians wanting to play the game - sadly doesn't reduce my ping below that 200ms mark, even if it helps a bit. Any sort of game that has a reasonably big emphasis on combat (especially with avoidable hazards) that I have to commit to with bad ping is just unappealing, even if the game itself really is great. It's a shame, because that really is the one barrier for me getting really into it. Wildstar was dead to me pretty early on for the same reason, especially because I heard it had particularly punishing hazards in the lategame.

I'm currently unsubscribed to WoW too, as I found the current state of the game outright unappealing even with the relatively new oceanic servers. I'm actually playing Archeage right now for the novel economic focus. The combat isn't too painful either, as it's generally overshadowed by economics and it's not as tit-for-tat/is more gear-reliant than the alternatives. The abilities are also set up in a way that I can still find my way towards being useful in PvP even with terrible ping and the resulting delays, which is good. Not great, but not as terrible as it could be. And yes, the game's got some terrible pay-to-win stuff going on, but buying game time from other players with in-game gold has a special way of making me feel like I'm beating the house. And it's free, so why not?

I mostly just alternate between cursing my situation and cursing MMO devs/publisher for not providing a proper oceanic option because they don't have to/don't believe it'll be profitable. It's a terrible place in the world to live if you have any interest in MMOs or even online play in general.
    Last edited by Eats Compost; 2015-03-04 at 06:59 PM.