Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Guide to Building 6 Racial Bonus 3 Man Follower Teams post-6.1

Prior to 6.1, getting a 3-man team with 6 racial bonuses was pretty much like winning the lottery. Post-6.1, I think there's a fairly straightforward process to build 3-man 6-racial-bonus teams, so thought I'd share it.

The process:
    1. Activate one of each of the "odd" racial types: beast (Goldmane, Leorajh, Meatball), robot (Pleasure-Bot 8000, Ziri'ak), bird (Dawnseeker Rukaryx, Talon Guard Kurekk, Talonpriest Ishaal), or ogre (Dagg, Tormmok, Blook). Ideally, you do NOT want to use a follower with a trait that won't get rerolled (such as Bodyguard). These are your "anchors" you will build your teams around.
    2. Do missions for racial bonus items for the above races (e.g. You, Robot, etc.) and hang on to any items you get.
    3. Do Follower Trait rerolls on your "anchors" until you get a follower with 2 racial bonuses (any two will work). Prioritize the type you have the most missions finished from step 2 (i.e. if you have 2 Bird Watchers ready to go, prioritize rerolling your bird's traits). Keep spending your rerolls on this until each of the four types has two racial bonuses.
    4. Using the tavern (or rerolls), recruit the racial pair of the odd type's bonuses. Example: you reroll Talon Guard Kurekk until he likes orcs and undead. Use the tavern (or rerolls) to get an orc that likes undead and an undead that likes orcs. Getting single racial bonuses isn't hard at all.
    5. Apply the mission items (bird watcher, grease monkey guide, ogre buddy, etc.) to the followers from step 4. Two in three times, you'll get a double racial bonus. One in three times, you'll fail and have to keep doing step 2 and step 4.
    6. Reroll counters using Follower Ability rerolls until you get 6 nonoverlapping counters on each team.

The end result should be four 3-man 6-racial-bonus teams that each uses one of the odd racial types as an anchor. Although this seems complicated, it's really just a matter of time and way easier than trying to randomly reroll into a 6-racial-bonus team.

An example of the process:
    * Activate Talon Guard Kurekk.
    * Reroll until he gets two racial bonuses (i.e. orcs and undead).
    * Get an orc who likes undead and an undead who likes orcs.
    * Do missions for the Bird Watcher item.
    * Add the bird watcher trait to the orc and the undead and hope it doesn't overwrite their racials.
    * Reroll the counters to get 6 non-overlapping counters you're happy with.

How do you get the special trait missions to spawn?

Just have to keep doing 100 missions and wait, but they don't seem too rare so far. (Seen like 5 already on 3 chars). Process definitely takes time and RNG, but it's not too bad an RNG. Probably should save trait rerolls until you see which missions you luck out and get (or if you hit 10k GR cap).
    Last edited by Caziel; 2015-03-04 at 10:50 PM.

Gotcha, I haven't seen one yet unfortunately. Once I can get a few though I'll definitely be doing this!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Apologies if this is a stupid question, but what are the advantages of building a 6 racial bonus 3 man follower team?

Mainly just looking ahead to more difficult missions (assuming we get 8 or 9 counter missions in the future), since 6 racial bonuses = 3 counters, and such a team can beat 9 counters worth of missions (9.5 w/Dancer, 10 w/Legendary).

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Apologies if this is a stupid question, but what are the advantages of building a 6 racial bonus 3 man follower team?
    6c racial bonuses push up the base success chance (assuming equal mission and item levels) to over 100% without counters. So advantages of such a team are:

1. a team for any mission - guarantees that you win the missions with the rewards that you want (which will be mostly be raid gear missions)
    2. easy priority of gearing followers and using upgrade tokens (you basically gear the 3 man team first then move to other followers)
    3. substitute 1 follower with another follower needing xp to boost it in high xp missions. (Mostly useful for getting green/blue followers to epic)

My only complain is the " hope it wont overwrites their abilities " part. Too many times have it fucked up my day deleting the good one and leaving the bad one on the char. Other than that it is a pretty nifty idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caziel View Post
    Just have to keep doing 100 missions and wait, but they don't seem too rare so far. (Seen like 5 already on 3 chars). Process definitely takes time and RNG, but it's not too bad an RNG. Probably should save trait rerolls until you see which missions you luck out and get (or if you hit 10k GR cap).
    5 on 3 chars still means 1, max 2 on 1 char.
    I've gotten one on my only level 100, so they're pretty rare. You can't count rarity based on your number of max level characters.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

It's a nice auxillary team to work toward but in my opinion does not replace how lucrative a trifecta composed of 'traditional' races is.

The strength of a trifecta that stacks, for example, humanist/dwavernborn/gnome-lover is that those 3 followers aren't just useful in that preset team alone, but have partial synergy with your 17 other followers that are likely also humans, dwarves, and gnomes. It opens up a massive amount of possible variant teams that simply aren't possible in this case unless you have 20 followers that are all robots, beasts, and arrakoa.

And about:
    Blook (Arakkoa love + Beast love)
    Lerojah (Ogre love + Arakkoa love)
    Dawnseeker Rukaryx (Ogre love + Beast love)

6 racials + Combat experience, and you just need luck about right rerolls using mission itens. Easy to get with alts.
    Last edited by Dandeleon; 2015-03-07 at 06:47 PM.

This is idiocy to be brutally honest. There is no reason to favour minority races with 1 or 2 followers versus Orcs with 8+ followers. More combinations is better, obviously, plainly, a mentally-handicapped child can figure that out.

Secondly your plan is just to reroll traits until everyone has two race-preference traits, that would take incredible luck and many tens of thousands of GR. Dont tell me you got it straight away because you are lying and your plan is stupid, like nearly everything on WoW forums, what do I expect playing a game aimed at 12yr-olds.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    5 on 3 chars still means 1, max 2 on 1 char.
    I've gotten one on my only level 100, so they're pretty rare. You can't count rarity based on your number of max level characters.
    I'm up to 7 on my 3 toons (3, 2, 2). I think you can expect >1 a week, which is a reasonable rate to build this team.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzet View Post
    The strength of a trifecta that stacks, for example, humanist/dwavernborn/gnome-lover is that those 3 followers aren't just useful in that preset team alone, but have partial synergy with your 17 other followers that are likely also humans, dwarves, and gnomes. It opens up a massive amount of possible variant teams that simply aren't possible in this case unless you have 20 followers that are all robots, beasts, and arrakoa.
    I agree if you were making a team of all weird races, but you only have one weird guy, and you've rerolled him to have *2* regular racial bonuses, so he's at least as good as a regular guy with one regular racial bonus. The rest of the team also has at least 1 regular racial bonus, so I really don't think you're losing much by doing this. Meanwhile, a 6 racial bonus team is a full counter better than a 4 racial bonus team (which is about the best you can expect from the inn; even building a 5 racial bonus team using only the inn takes massive amounts of luck/rng), so it's well worth making a God Team that can beat any mission.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by longxia View Post
    This is idiocy to be brutally honest. There is no reason to favour minority races with 1 or 2 followers versus Orcs with 8+ followers. More combinations is better, obviously, plainly, a mentally-handicapped child can figure that out.

Secondly your plan is just to reroll traits until everyone has two race-preference traits, that would take incredible luck and many tens of thousands of GR. Dont tell me you got it straight away because you are lying and your plan is stupid, like nearly everything on WoW forums, what do I expect playing a game aimed at 12yr-olds.
    Devoting 1 out of 25 slots to a weird race guy loses almost nothing from the rest of your combinations. This is something one can be working on w/o losing anything from the rest of your team. No one is suggesting replacing all your guys with birds, robots, beasts, and ogres.

Second, rerolling for double racials from three traits does not require that much GR on average. (I don't know the exact numbers, but assuming you have a 1 in 5 or so shot at a racial, you'll get a double racial around 10% of the time). I think it's between 7000 to 10000GR to get a double racial, and you only have to do it once.

You need 3 or so of the items on average to get 2 guys +robot or w/e accounting for losing 1 to overwrites. Assuming you get one item a week, you'd eventually get there. Even if you get 1 item to "land", you can build a 5 race bonus team while you wait for the 6th.

Deleted
    just do the math of the probability to do that

Quote Originally Posted by omega8 View Post
    just do the math of the probability to do that
    I'm not sure how the rerolls work exactly. I don't think you can get multiple tradeskill traits? (I might be wrong about this?) I don't know if there is an equal chance for every trait, or if they're weighted by category somehow. I suspect once you roll one tradeskill, you can't get another? (I've never seen double tradeskill anyway... anyone know if possible?)

My estimations counting inn traits and trying various rules put it at 1 in 7 to 1 in 10 chance to get a double racial via a Trait Reroll, which really isn't bad at all. (Two weeks' worth of GR?). The limiting factor will be the missions that give the racial bonus items, not the GR/rerolls to make everything else work.
    Last edited by Caziel; 2015-03-07 at 11:33 PM.

Deleted
    As someone who's had a 6 racial team prior to 6.1, it's not really worth it to go for this that hard. Especially not with the weird racial as suggested. Stacking orc racial for example is nice for mix, but as long as you got a nice spread of abilities the racials are just a bit of extra help that probably wasn't needed anyway. Just checked and in the "missions of interest" there's 0 missions that use the 6 racial combo, while all are at 100%.

Yes, it is not something currently needed to beat missions (and maybe it never will be), but it's fun to optimize for those of us who enjoy Garrisonville as a game in and of itself. (People who only care about beating BRF missions can look elsewhere; that is easily doable with only minor bonuses, never mind 6). Whether it's "worth it" or not is purely for individuals to decide. I merely offer the method, which should be easily provable as the highest probability way to obtain a 6 racial bonus team (if you got one from the tavern before, I salute you, but that is incredibly low probability compared to this method).

Incidentally, I successfully finished my first God Team today, although I still need to do counter rerolls to get rid of overlaps (5 racials + Epic Mount + 2 bursts of power). Ziri'ak rerolled into double racial + epic mount on only the second try, which was very lucky. One of my Grease Monkey Guides did overwrite the racial, but I can't argue with the final result.

http://imgur.com/gallery/itmKK

Deleted
    I've had a 6 racial team since before 6.1 but it's always fun to make new teams since there is nothing else to do with the Garrison, my only concern with this method is getting the missions to pop, I've only seen 1 of these types since the patch (Arakkoa racial) so it seems to be just as RnG as the Inn method.
    Last edited by mmocee72ac48eb; 2015-03-08 at 12:43 PM.

If you enjoy building teams then sure, go for it. But im sure it wont be hard to reach 100% mission chances in later tiers without this min-maxing. This minigame is for the ultra casuals, blizzard wont make it hard. For example i just made a balanced skill team, some of them have racial bonus but that's all and all my missions have 100% chance.
    Last edited by Vilendor; 2015-03-08 at 12:57 PM.

Deleted
    As I understand it, it is best to focus on the minority races since you can (easily) get specific affinity rerolls for those races (Ogre, Mech, Arakkoa). This makes it much easier to control the building of your team, as long as you have those items from missions, as opposed to throwing GR after GR at it using 'generic' rerolls.

What I don't understand is the chance of getting both affinities to 'stick'.

Lets say I wanna build a team of Blook (ogre), Pleasurebot (mech) and some Arakkoa (Ishaal?).

Ishaal is epic and has a bodyguard trait that never changes. So that leaves 2 other traits to be rerolled.
    I first use Greasemonkey token to give him mech-affinity trait.
    Now what happens when I apply the Ogre lover token? What is the chance that I overwrite the previous Mech lover trait instead of the 3rd unwanted trait? 0%? 50%? 100%?

How are my chances affected when I use a follower with 3 changeable traits instead of 2?