Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question How do we define "content"?

Given the criticism that Warlords of Draenor has received with regards to its lack of content (a criticism I support, for those that don’t know), it’s interesting to see the discussions around what different people view as content. This particular argument intensified as the PTR for patch 6.1, “The Patch with No Name”, rumbled on and it became clear that nothing substantial was going to be added.

I won’t be the only one who’s wondered this, but it does beg the question of what constitutes legitimate content. Now, it’ll be argued by the sceptics that everyone’s opinion is different and that no common ground can be found. Hell, we see a lot of this on the forum already; Blizzard can’t possibly design for everyone because everyone likes different things. Yet, I think a relatively good understanding of what makes up content can still be widely understood without necessary devolution into an argument.

So, I’ll have a stab at what I think content fundamentally is, and we’ll see who wants to add to or amend this list. For my money, content constitutes three things; additional art, story continuation and UI systems.

1) Additional Art.

Additional art is clearly content, and we’re obviously talking about the obvious here – questing zones, dungeons, raids, battlegrounds, arenas etc. Essentially, anything that adds additional art that players haven’t seen before is considered the primary source of new content.

2) Story Continuation.

What I’m talking about here is, roughly speaking, quest content. If quest content, including dailies, is used, then the story will be continued in some way. Another example of this would be scenarios, though we lost them, as they furthered the story with no additional art.

3) UI systems.

UI systems, traditionally, are pieces of content that allow you to play the game in a different way and are invariably self-generating. Transmogrification and pet battles are good examples of this, but only the system and its original introduction can be considered “new content”.

Now, I happen to think that most things will fall into one of these categories and that this is the crux of where the complaints about Warlords of Draenor are coming from. 6.1, particularly, adds absolutely nothing from points 1 and 2, and it’d be difficult to argue (though not invalid) that it covers off point three. I’ve seen a couple of people argue about the selfiecam or quest missives, but the former has no real UI “gameplay” functionality and the latter isn’t technically a system. It’s just a means to repeat content. As far as launch content goes, garrisons technically encompass all three of the above points but fail as a system because there’s very little replay value in them and they don’t self-generate.

That of course, brings up a key word. Gameplay. Gameplay means something different to everyone, but I think we can loosely agree that it constitutes your character interacting with the game world in order to cause a prescribed effect. Clearly, nothing in patch 6.1 really achieves this so it’s easy to see why people are upset at a major patch offering so little.

All that said: what do we think content fundamentally is, and do we agree with my general précis? If not, what amendments do you think need added and am I missing an entire section out?

I do like this addition from Daetur:

Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    I define content as "things to do." I think content is different from features. Features includes things like art, models, UI updates, etc. Content is things like zones to explore, quests to do, story to engage with, dungeons, raids, etc.

It may not be something I enjoy, but, for example, the SELFIE camera is "content" by my definition. The updated Blood Elf models are not "content" by my definition.
    Essentially, the implication is that my third point shouldn't necessarily be considered content in the traditional sense but could be fleshed out a little. A valid argument, I think.

Deleted
    Content = something substantial to do. New art/models are NOT something to do. Neither is Twitter integration, tokens, stat squish or selfie sticks. New garrison stuff doesn't count either, as all that involves is waiting.
    Last edited by mmoc33659a5ac3; 2015-03-05 at 10:50 AM.

Stuff I want to do.

I'm sure there's tons of people who like taking screenshots. SELFIE Cam was probably great content for them.

The "content" most players want would be activities such as dungeons, raids, quest-hubs with decent rewards. Basically anything you can do in the open world or inside dungeons with an incentive to do them.

Back in 6.0, I pugged Highmaul as a Blood DK tank. I killed all bosses on both Normal and Heroic in a month's time, and that was it. I then started farming WoD reputations (which was TERRIBLE, thank god for human racial and Trading Post passive), and after being finished I had nothing else to do. After that it was the usual level up a new character routine or go PvP until I unsubbed.

Now if Mythic was also available cross-realm, I would have had at least another two months with something to progress on, but most players who raid in a guild don't want this due to the fear of Mythic being nerfed because so many more players would be playing them. I don't blame these players for fearing this, but if Blizzard would simply be like "No, Mythic is Mythic, if you can't handle it then don't do it" then we would have no problems right?

Right now I am still unsubbed because I am still a student and I am unable to return until May. Hopefully by then something new might be out, although I doubt it with the way things are going.
    Last edited by Nayami; 2015-03-05 at 11:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Staticus View Post
    Content = something substantial to do. New art/models are NOT something to do. Neither is Twitter integration, tokens, stat squish or selfie sticks. New garrison stuff doesn't count either, as all that involves is waiting.
    I should have been a bit clearer; by new “art”, I don’t really mean new buildings or player character models. I’m really talking about new zones that house more traditional content like quests or instances.

As for the new garrison quests, I agree that it’s not new content by virtue of my three categories. There’s no zone applied, there’s no story continuation and there’s no new UI element that changes how you interact.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I think it is not easy and people will apply different standards.
    Standard is a slightly different topic. Dragon Soul, for example, was extremely low quality but it was new content nonetheless because it was an instanced piece of content.

For example: Dailies and grinds are often NOT considered content, because you do the "same shit over and over again", yet raids and 5 mans ARE considered content ALTHOUGH you do the same shit over and over again, to the point where 1 boss is left in a raidzone but you kill the 9 before again and again and again to gear up and learn the last kill....sometimes for months.
    Dailies are content, if they’re new and continue the story in a way not done previously. Grinds… Well, that’s a difficult one to gauge. It depends specifically on what type of grind you’re really talking about. For example, a reputation grind with a new faction that has dailies to accompany it would be considered content. An addition to the achievement pane to recognise drops from mobs you’ve already killed in a zone wouldn’t be.

Well, you difine something using a word that can be interpreted. "Substantial" means sth different to me or you. People have claimed pet battles to be "no content".
    This is interesting, det. When I talk about UI systems, I specifically mention pet battles and transmogrification. Both of these were “new content” when the UI was introduced, but the self-generating nature of them makes them a system rather than content whenever they’re added to.

This is an important distinction, I think, because we would otherwise argue that every time a new raid or dungeon is released, it’s also new content for moggers. Technically, that could be true; new pieces might bring an entire new plethora of sets to the table, where just one piece makes a whole outfit work. Realistically, it’d be difficult to argue that it’s the case.

Similarly with pet battles, the introduction of existing models or art with some abilities put onto them doesn’t necessarily make them new content. Once a system is introduced, it ceases being new content and becomes (if properly designed) a self-generating system.

May I also add "color bind mode" and "Voice chat" or "heirloom tab" to the list of things that are arguable NOT content, yet I am happy with the heirloom tab.
    I think you can be happy with things that aren’t content. That’s my opinion, anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would rename your three points if I were you.

At first glance it seems like you'd be fine if:

Your garrison had a few more pictures or decorations on the Wall

Your garrison had some readable storybooks that contains stories

Your UI now supports the other two points

My complaint about 6.1 is that it adds content noone asked for and are arguably optional instead of fixing the still broken classes (Guardian Drood anyone) or fixing the bugs that still lingers in the Game since Beta.

In my case I don't really care about lore or quest design. I could grind my way to max lvl IF the classes were actually fun, but most of them aren't anymore ( < that is my personal opinion). Rerolling is kinda hard cause other classes I used to love have different gameplay now or have Design elements that doesn't add up. Most of them are quite unbalanced and have their own issues, too. So my point is instead of adding optional content, I'd like to see a stable running base Blizzard can build up on.

They improved the new Character Skins again. In my opinion this should have been in the game at launch. Female Gnomes eye bags or Nightelf running animation.. who thaought those look good when releasing them. It is very clear that WOD is rushed and unfinished despite the 2 years they had to work on it. They spent the time with other games, I reckon.

For me personal I am an instance guy. I like pugging and running dungeons. In an extend I also like raids.
    We got one raid which is very cool but only one. Even the coolest raid gets boring after a few runs. Raiding now feels like the Diablo Gameplay where you just crank up the difficulty. I miss diversity.

No new Heroic dungeons were added, nor was a system added that gives an incite to already geared players. No tokes, no Reputation or a system that passes on loot an gets gold in return. I still run them cause I think is fun eventhough I strongly outgear the rest of the guys. However it gets broring quickly.

To me 6.1 was a huge disappointment. Blizzard loses more and more the way and my respect towards them declines more and more the more I read patch notes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Content = stuff to do or experience that will hold you off until the next content update in my opinion.

Quality of Life improvements may not be content for some, but content for others, such as the colorblind modes, heirloom tabs for those interested in leveling alts(I know a few people who genuinely enjoy leveling alts over and over). Generally, content is seen as new raid tiers or PvP seasons for the majority of the WoW community that partake in those activities from what I've seen. Personally, 6.1 did add content that I enjoy. It gives me a reason to dust off my old heirlooms and upgrade them to 100 so my alts will have a pretty easy time of leveling for one. The platinum invasions are also a nice touch as well as bosses being summoned in your own garrison.

However I am a bit disheartened at the lack of story content akin to 5.1's Landfall with the Alliance/Horde buildup for Garrosh going after powerful artifacts, the Blood Elves in Dalaran n' other such stuff. I'm still raiding so I still have stuff to do that I enjoy in WoW but I do sincerely hope for a story or tier update in the next patch at least. With Tanaan looming closer, it looks like a bit of both will occur.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/content

content
    noun con·tent \ˈkän-ˌtent\

1a : something contained —usually used in plural <the jar's contents> <the drawer's contents>
    b : the topics or matter treated in a written work <table of contents>
    c : the principal substance (as written matter, illustrations, or music) offered by a World Wide Web site <Internet users have evolved an ethos of free content in the Internet — Ben Gerson>

2a : substance, gist
    b : meaning, significance
    c : the events, physical detail, and information in a work of art — compare form 10b

3a : the matter dealt with in a field of study
    b : a part, element, or complex of parts

4: the amount of specified material contained : proportion
    Everything that is a part of the game can be viewed as content. Defining it as GOOD content is an entirely different matter. The number of folks on this site stating they've unsubbed to wait for 6.2 just a week after 6.1 speaks volumes about the shitty work being done at Blizz HQ. The players expect more, like TBC and Wrath... and even MoP. So far, we are getting Cata 2.0 in reverse, and instead of flight everywhere, there is no flight at all. Just toys that let you fall with style. If Blizz wants to keep making money, they need to go back and examine Wrath, and see what propelled us to 12M active playing subs during the peak of the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    You haven't mentioned pets, mounts or transmog items in your defenitions of content. I mention this because you have stated in another post that these items are in fact content and should not be in the Blizzard Shop.
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

Deleted
    Players have become so spoilt that they no longer see dungeons, raids and zones as content.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by -Walter- View Post
    The players expect more, like TBC and Wrath... and even MoP.
    What did TBC and Wrath offer differently to WoD? WoD has everything those expansions had plus more.

Content is anything added to the game the will affect at lest 1 player. I don't care for the selfie thing, yet a lot of people are having fun with it (watch Preach and ghostys thing with it). 6.1 was low on content yet it still had some.

10+ Year Old Account
    A zone / quest line / daily hub / dungeon(s) / raid(s) that advances the story in a meaningful way. 5.1 is the perfect example.
    A solo player experience like Brawler's Guild. (Proving Grounds for example would not be content since it repeats after 10 minutes and doesn't change ever.)

something something raid every 5 weeks

Deleted
    Content is EVERYTHING thing in game.

a star in the sky is content, A leaf on the ground is content.
    Pet battles are content, Raids are content.
    NPC's are content, Player models are content.
    If you can interact, or even see something in game then it is content.

Any other answer is wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    Players have become so spoilt that they no longer see dungeons, raids and zones as content.

- - - Updated - - -

What did TBC and Wrath offer differently to WoD? WoD has everything those expansions had plus more.
    Let me guess, you're gonna state that TBC 5 mans are variations of one central theme, so those extra 2 dungeons don't count because they're really the same dungeon....right?

Also, WoD crafting, need i say more?

Stuff that we have to do to keep up and pisses us off because we can't slack for one week. <- Definition of majority of MMO-Champion users.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Also, WoD crafting, need i say more?
    You mean WoD "stand your in Garrison every 4 hours and make a cooldown every 24 hours"?

I'd define it as something that advances my character or advances the story of the game. I don't consider new UI or new art as content. New dungeons, new raids, new questlines, questhubs or new zones (with some combination of the first 4 things) are content to me, not selfie cameras or updated models.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalira View Post
    You mean WoD "stand your in Garrison every 4 hours and make a cooldown every 24 hours"?
    I think you misunderstood my post. It was a negative remark about WoD crafting, as in it's worse than the that of previous expansions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    I think you misunderstood my post. It was a negative remark about WoD crafting, as in it's worse than the that of previous expansions.
    I know. I was just making a joke Which is what crafting is these days: a joke! (I blame Garrisons)