Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Holy Priest: How Has 2 and 4 Piece Affected Your Play Style?

Hello Everyone!

I finally got my two piece on Tuesday. The few fights I did with it (after tweaking glyphs and talents a little), I noticed just how powerful this particular two piece is. It was fun to receive that little boost and see something other than CoH and Renew at the top of my spells list.

I would like to discuss how to maximize these set piece bonuses....so my question is...How did you change your play style when you got your 2 piece? Your 4 piece? Are there any articles or threads elsewhere that effectively address this?

You get more mindblasts in your dotweave for CoP, slightly deviating from the normal rotation but basically the same.

In no way, because I still don't have a single piece. But with it, you should be using PoM on cooldown, and be able to get a lot more Heal/PoH/CoP (with 4 pieces). Should also make PoM the #1 healing spell on meters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Naux View Post
    You get more mindblasts in your dotweave for CoP, slightly deviating from the normal rotation but basically the same. I suspect glyphed PoM works well too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancer View Post
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time
    Do you have the class trinket? If so, the cast time is correct. /s

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    In no way, because I still don't have a single piece. But with it, you should be using PoM on cooldown, and be able to get a lot more Heal/PoH/CoP (with 4 pieces). Should also make PoM the #1 healing spell on meters.

haha, my bad though off topic I'm surprised people play Holy priest still

With that logic the same can be said about shadow, "Why play a shadow priest when a warlock does everything better?".

Quote Originally Posted by Isheria View Post
    With that logic the same can be said about shadow, "Why play a shadow priest when a warlock does everything better?".
    Because Mythic Blast Furnace. Though I was relating more to mythic raiding guilds, least all those top end guilds don't seem to run a healing comp that includes one.

A good healer can still support their raid team without playing a flavor of the tier class/spec. The best class/spec is really dependent upon each individual raid team and its players. Personally, I enjoy Holy more than Disc and my raid team also has a dedicated disc priest...hence my focus on holy.

That being said, I have changed my OS over to Disc to fulfill a tank healer role when needed.

You just weave in PoHs whenever possible with 2x Serendipity, and you use the occasional Heal when there isn't raid wide damage. It plays the same otherwise, especially if you were using PoM on CD before the 2-piece (which you should have been).

I have my 2-piece and PoM is now my 2nd or 3rd top heal. Before the 2 piece PoM was usually 4th or 5th. My play-style didn't really change much since I was already using PoM on CD, but I have noticed a jump in my healing done. Sometimes I try to put our a PoM right before I use Diving Hymn so the bounces can benefit from the 10% increase in healing.

- - - Updated - - -

Because Mythic Blast Furnace. Though I was relating more to mythic raiding guilds, least all those top end guilds don't seem to run a healing comp that includes one.
    I believe Paragon, world 2nd Blackhand, ran a Holy Priest named Jahzrun. That is only one example.

People don't give the holy 4pc enough credit, in my opinion. Once you switch to Divine Insight, not only does the spec become much more fun (in my opinion), you can also get some great numbers. Here's my log from our guild's H Blast kill this week--I'm the holy priest. Yes, I know I could have cast many more CoH, but I was getting awesome DI procs which are a pseudo-CoH and less taxing on mana. I've switched some gear to mastery and my Echo of Light has been my 3rd largest source of healing on some fights.

edit: I can't post the link since I just joined. Search "clickmylit" on warcraftlogs and go to my most recent H Blast kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bella7 View Post
    Sometimes I try to put our a PoM right before I use Diving Hymn so the bounces can benefit from the 10% increase in healing.
    That's a good idea! Tips like that are one reason I wanted to start this discussion.

After picking up DI and Glyph of POM, my POM shot up to #1 on my meters....Still playing with it though to see what I like best.

I believe Paragon, world 2nd Blackhand, ran a Holy Priest named Jahzrun. That is only one example.
    And likely the only one. I'm betting they also had two disc priests, just because there's no reason to be holy otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryKate View Post
    A good healer can still support their raid team without playing a flavor of the tier class/spec.
    Class, spec, decade. Same thing.

That's a good idea! Tips like that are one reason I wanted to start this discussion.

After picking up DI and Glyph of POM, my POM shot up to #1 on my meters....Still playing with it though to see what I like best.
    Try Cascade before DH too.

To be fair, a non-shadow priest can do it too. The correct answer (if there even is one) was "better execute damage".
    Last edited by Thirteen; 2015-03-05 at 10:50 PM.
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time

And likely the only one. I'm betting they also had two disc priests, just because there's no reason to be holy otherwise.
    Actually, according to wowprogress every single one of their first Mythic boss kills in BRF they ran with one Holy priest and one Disc priest. Plus, warcraft logs shows around 500-600 unique Holy priests raiding in Mythic BRF, and these are just the ones that are posting public logs on that site.

Holy may not be a popular as other classes but is in a good place and does quite well on most of the BRF fights, especially with the tier bonuses which are quite strong compared to the the other healer tiers.
    Last edited by Bella7; 2015-03-05 at 11:07 PM.

Actually, according to wowprogress every single one of their first Mythic boss kills in BRF they ran with one Holy priest and one Disc priest. Plus, warcraft logs shows around 500-600 unique Holy priests raiding in Mythic BRF, and these are just the ones that are posting public logs on that site.

Holy may not be a popular as other classes but is in a good place and does quite well on most of the BRF fights, especially with the tier bonuses which are quite strong compared to the the other healer tiers.
    No no no, I'm not saying holy is bad. It's just that disc is so much better approximately 100% of the time.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Jhazrun is one of the absolute best healers in the world, and he heavily favors holy. They have their 1 disc for the raid being covered by someone else. Never forget this guy solo healed the world first 10 heroic Garrosh as holy when disc was considered vastly superior.

Moral of the story: Holy is strong enough to be part of any healing comp and when you have an absolute master of a spec, you will use them, even as a world 1/2 guild despite it not being "optimal".

Quote Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
    Moral of the story: Holy is strong enough to be part of any healing comp, even as a world 1/2 guild despite it not being "optimal".
    Fixed. And none of this goes against what I said - holy is fine. But disc is always better. If they didn't have another disc priest, I guarantee you he'd be playing disc. I legitimately don't understand why so many disc priests refuse to accept that their spec isn't on par with other healers when everyone and their grandmother is pointing it out. But let's not derail the thread any more.

I opened a thread for this some time ago, you should check it out.
    Last edited by Thirteen; 2015-03-06 at 12:03 AM.

No no no, I'm not saying holy is bad. It's just that disc is so much better approximately 100% of the time.

You are comparing apples to oranges. You might as well be saying why drive a car when you can have a banana? Disc is an absorb spec that pretty much doesn't heal, holy is a throughput healer like rdruid and mw.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightstorm View Post
    You are comparing apples to oranges. You might as well be saying why drive a car when you can have a banana? Disc is an absorb spec that pretty much doesn't heal, holy is a throughput healer like rdruid and mw.
    Right, but you're gonna have a much easier time going to work (killing the boss) with a car (disc) than a banana (non-disc). It's not comparing apples to oranges either. It's comparing apples (heals) to better apples (absorbs).

But let's not derail the thread any more.
    ^Sorry OP
    Last edited by Thirteen; 2015-03-06 at 12:37 AM.

With 2pc, I tried to do a bit more synergy with Surge of Light (instead of usual Solace) on Mythic Gruul. The idea was to get more Flash Heal into Serendipity + POH to fish for more Divine Insight POM's. Didn't feel anymore advantageous. Probably more noticeable with 4pc.

Can't we have a discussion about holy spec for once without the go-disc-or-you're-making-things-harder-for-your-raid. We know, we've heard it a million times, that horse has been dead for months.

On topic:

I'm playing around with the DS/CoP combo now that I have 4 piece. It's quite fun, much better than renew/CoH spam. I had a 1 minute Serendipityx2 --> CoP --> DS -->Serendipityx2 etc cycle once so far, it was hilarious. I haven't fully tested it in raids though.