Thread: So...pvp MM?

Deleted

So...pvp MM?

Getting really bored with Surv in pvp. I don't do high rated arenas and such, though, just wpvp, duels and random bgs.

I started the expansion as MM but switched to surv because rogues and ferals were getting on my nerves with their endless gap closers, and 12 sec traps really helped with that, but now that traps are on just on a 10 sec lower cd than MM and BM, is it worth coming back to MM? And no, I'm not playing BM in pvp.

Is MM at least equal to Surv for 1v1 purposes or am I just gimping myself against classes that spam gap closers?

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been MM for 10 years, boomy's are the only spec that nail me but I bail out if im stuck in a 1v1 against a moonkin.

I really can't comment on the differences except to say that for MM, line up burst, kite melee and stay 36 - 40yds range and try to stand still vs casters for sniper training. I find with normal cd traps that I can kite melee no problems so you should be able to figure out in what order to use cd's vs melee specs after a few hours playing.

MM is in a very good place right now, perhaps too good. I played BM throughout Cata and most of MOP. Bm got nerfed into the ground throughout MOP and I switched to MM and I haven't looked back since. Well... nerfed isn't the right word, more appropriately stated BM's play style changed into something I no longer enjoyed. Since the focus regen of MM is very fluid, you can use two of the biggest hitters in the talents - barrage and murder of crows and not gimp your focus. I believe this is the difference that makes MM a little bit better than BM and Surv. I do like the spirit heal BM offers, but ever since they took the immunity out of beastial wrath - the reliability of the heal isn't the same.

MM is the worst of the Hunter specs in PvP, but it's still fine. Most high-ranked people go Survival nowadays, some use BM, and very feel choose MM.

MM advantage is its high burst. Chimaera Shot hits like a truck, even with its has a -20% damage modifier against players. However, playing MM feels really slow, and is the worst spec considering defensive abilities. You need to play smart. Also, Mastery means shit for MM in PvP, you will rarely, if ever, have it up unless the enemies just ignore you.

I've not been doing any high-rank play, so I've been playing MM Lone Wolf for PvP, just to have fun. It's not the optimal choice, but I've been liking it because it exacerbates your advantages and weaknesses. You have paper-thin defenses and it's best to have a healer, but your damage... oh, your damage is just awesome. Lone Wolf also inverts what you are good or bad against: you'll be very vulnerable to melee (I miss Master's Call), but can quickly dispatch most casters.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    Most high-ranked people go Survival nowadays, some use BM.
    Since 6.1 it's 100% comp based BM is as good / better then SV in 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by re1gn1te View Post
    Since 6.1 it's 100% comp based BM is as good / better then SV in 3s.
    Ok. I've not seen the ranks lately.

Anyway, MM is still the least used spec.

BM is the new go-to spec for most PvP'ers.
    Good on demand burst on a very short cooldown (1 min) and you can dispel a lot without ruining your damage.
    Plus other benefits like double buffs (as exotic pets bring 2 buffs / or crit+MS).

MM is still played by a lot of top players; not necessarily because it's better, but because they're used to it.
    It has pretty sick burst at times and the 35% execute is godlike; but it suffers from having a lot of cast times. That makes it's burst a bit harder to setup and easier to dodge (LoS/ CC). Also Rapid Fire has a 3 min CD, which makes bursting a bit harder.
    Also it lost a lot of good things from MoP such as Silencing Shot and Arcane Shot (MM is basically useless vs totems).

SV lost a lot of it's power with the 6.1 nerf. It's pressure mostly came from chain trapping, which is a lot harder now.

I'd probably rank it BM > MM > SV for PvP; although to be frank it's very comp dependent. SV can work great with either a teammate that can deliver the burst that you lack or for spread pressure damage with e.g. a lock.
    So if you're tired of SV, I would check out MM.
    Last edited by Nythiz; 2015-03-07 at 11:50 PM.

I mostly see MM in 2s with a dps ( feral + MM was literally one sec kills before the hotfix ), and I can see it work in thugcleave or maybe liberty in 3s, but BM is probably still a tad better.

Quote Originally Posted by Nythiz View Post
    Also Rapid Fire has a 3 min CD, which makes bursting a bit harder.
    Just a minor correction, Rapid Fire has a 2 min CD since 6.0, and the 4-pc PvP set makes each successful Aimed Shot reduce the CD by 5 seconds. You can pretty much launch it every minute, which is pretty good.

I'd probably rank it BM > MM > SV for PvP; although to be frank it's very comp dependent. SV can work great with either a teammate that can deliver the burst that you lack or for spread pressure damage with e.g. a lock.
    So if you're tired of SV, I would check out MM.
    MM seems to see the least played spec right now. I'm having fun with it, thought. It's slow, but you do feel like a sniper. If I get lucky with Crits (and Kill Shot resets as intended, as that doesn't always happen as it should), I can waste someone in 5 shots (Aimed Shot > Aimed Shot > Chimaera Shot > Kill Shot > Kill Shot).
    Last edited by DeicideUH; 2015-03-08 at 02:31 PM.