Poll: Are you happy with the models progress?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    the greatest waste of dev time ever!

after 5 seconds i switch to the old models and will never switch back!
    Either playing on a toaster with a 5x5 resolution monitor or lying. Or both.

15+ Year Old Account
    People in this thread need to realize something: The models and textures are for the most part, done. Blizzard may decide to tweak textures later, but model tweaking is a huge effort and involves tweaking far more than just the models.

Animations of course may and probably will get altered, as those require no tweaking of textures or models. A lot of the animations have strange clipping problems or weird facial expressions, but those are an easy fix, and Blizzard quite frequently made small tweaks to animations for races over the last 10 years without ever touching the models or textures, and people were pleased with the resutls.

An animation looking weird probably will get fixed eventually. Textures have a lower chance but still a possibility of seeing tweaks. Model tweaking is highly unlikely to happen.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    They might not be perfect, but they're leaps and bounds ahead of what we had previously imo.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    6.1 shows tweaks are still happening, but if you are STILL complaining about this you need to take a break from the game.
    Other than the character select screen, I can't even tell the difference with my characters' models.
    Its been what, 4 months+ now as well?

They are an OBVIOUS upgrade in every way.
    If you don't like an animation or two, that's your opinion, but don't act like its Blizzards blunder. They are literally 10x higher quality. Nothing to be upset with.
    Obvious upgrade in every way?

How is the muscle atrophy and spinal collapse in the troll male's back an upgrade? Or the one braid hairstyle they have which isn't even animated and defies gravity, or eyepatches that float above their eyes (as is the case with most of the models), or their barely visible eyecolours?

If you're happy with whatever models are most relevant to you? Hooray for you, but there's no reason to condescend and demean those that are concerned about very obvious flaws with the models most relevant to them. I don't need to take a break from the game, the artists need to do their job... In the case of the person who made the troll model, he has my sympathy, in that he had an accident that could explain why progress on the troll male was slowed down and why it subsequently went live with flaws like the above. But they can't stay like that, I am trying to have faith that Chris G. Robinson has more pride in his work than this, esp. looking at the Dwarf male (or that him and the other artists are allowed to implement fixes that they would want to add) to but that becomes difficult when the radio silence leaves us in complete uncertainty for certain models.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Blizzard quite frequently made small tweaks to animations for races over the last 10 years without ever touching the models or textures, and people were pleased with the resutls.

An animation looking weird probably will get fixed eventually. Textures have a lower chance but still a possibility of seeing tweaks. Model tweaking is highly unlikely to happen.
    Well, they had much less reason to mess with the geometry of the old models when none of them had issues like I mentioned above... The old models had time to be properly finished and polished for their time... a lot of the new ones didn't. They have every reason to tweak the model itself, so I very much hope you're wrong.
    Last edited by Oggudrai; 2015-03-08 at 10:44 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I switched after 6 years from draenei to pandaren. Nope, not pleased.
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

if they really would look the same as the old ones, as they promised, it would be ok. but nearly nothing looks like your old one. totally different and dumb faces, changed run animations and so on. the half of all face combos looks like they are retarded, mongolism or insane. will e coyote looks more serious. the style and sharpness of the art and so on is fine, but they produced horrible crap when it comes to their depiction and its a shame. if i am chris robinson i would be ashamed of.

oh, and not to forget: you could sit there 2 hours and try to design a new face that even TRY to catch the style of your old original face and you couldnt catch it. so the option to style a new face at no costs doesnt matter if the new ones are at least not even close to the old ones. horrible.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2015-03-08 at 11:07 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oggudrai View Post
    Well, they had much less reason to mess with the geometry of the old models when none of them had issues like I mentioned above... The old models had time to be properly finished and polished for their time... a lot of the new ones didn't. They have every reason to tweak the model itself, so I very much hope you're wrong.
    They had plenty of reason to mess with the geometry, given the extremely low polygon count of old models. It's difficult to give them a complex structure, and range of facial expressions as well as a high definition texture with a low poly count. The great majority of the "changes" to the models that people are griping about are so minor that most of them are nit picking. There's still some problem with the animations but those are easily fixed as compared to completely redoing the entire geometry.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I am very happy with the way female Orcs turned out.
    Ryzen 7 5800X - RX 6900 XT
    Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
    Corsair 4000D Airflow - 1x ASUS 27" VG27AQ - 2x iiyama 24”

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    They had plenty of reason to mess with the geometry, given the extremely low polygon count of old models. It's difficult to give them a complex structure, and range of facial expressions as well as a high definition texture with a low poly count. The great majority of the "changes" to the models that people are griping about are so minor that most of them are nit picking. There's still some problem with the animations but those are easily fixed as compared to completely redoing the entire geometry.
    I meant during that 10 year of tweaking that you mentioned, they had little reason to mess with the geometry of the -then live- models before WoD's revamp... Not in regards to "messing with the geometry" of the new models compared to the old.

More to the point, not all of the models were recreated according to the shapes that, despite having a low polygon count, were visibly there before...

I can tell you either don't play a troll male or haven't given them a serious glance... Because the flaws me and others that care about our troll toons are very, very visibly not "minor" and pointing them out is decidedly not nitpicking.

I'd put up a link or provide a picture of the one particularly bad geometry issue I've been talking about, but I haven't posted enough to be able to do that.

I'd prefer a bigger overhaul of the troll male, honestly, but if they only fix one thing about the model it better be that absolutely flattened back. It's neither anatomically correct nor faithful to the contours of the old model which, even with its lower polygon count hinted at more curvature in that region than the new model does.

Deleted
    my poor gnomepie doesnt have eyebrows :'(

also,.. I'm missing some beards.. but that might just be me..

10+ Year Old Account
    So far almost nothing has been subjectively perfect, at least in my eyes.

Humans started fine. 6.0 gave them horse faces and a painfully limited range of looks/skin tones. 6.1 has covered this up by pissing makeup all over them. It helps but they still look worse then mop, imo

Draenei: Again looked more or less fine. 6.0 gave them duckface, disguising solid blue eyes with no glow, prancing animations and essentially ruined them. 6.1 has fixed a few things but they're still mostly sameface and don't quite look right

Gnome: Went from friendly to feral. Nothing has changed since 6.0

Night elf: I don't have one so I can't comment

Dwarf: Ho boy.. dwarves where one of the few tings blizzard got right in 6.0. They gave more character and depth to the models without gutting them... until 6.1. Now femdorfs get heavy makeup (because every fucking thing needs to look sultry) pointlessly slimmer faces- further damaging the look of the model and trashing their earlier work. MY shaman has vanished, and in its place ive got something sucking its cheeks in and looking like it got into mummys makeup and tried to be a big girl
    Wrath baby and proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    if they really would look the same as the old ones, as they promised, it would be ok. but nearly nothing looks like your old one. totally different and dumb faces, changed run animations and so on.
    This.

As for the question "are you pleased with the character models ?", it can be hopefully quickly answered with a simple demonstration of what happened to two of my main characters (left is "old", right is "new") :

The first :

The second :

Do I need to add anything else ?

I thoroughly dislike the human female faces, they look like something taken out straight from Sims.

Meh... The night elf model is also quite crappy, they should've gone for a Cata-Tyrande approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
    Still using the old models. The new ones are ugly/creepy.
    this is how I feel about the old ones at this point, they look like wooden figurines or something, lifeless.

I used to love old female gnome model, now I can't stand to look at it anymore. and it's not just the low polygons - they barely have a neck, they slouch and run like an old lady.

the new ones are not by any means perfect, but I think some people refuse to give them a chance. force yourself and turn them on for a couple of days, I'm pretty sure you'll grow to like them. there's much more to them than to the old models.

The translation could have been better for some races, but overall they're an enormous improvement, someone who starts playing the game today would laugh his ass off at the old models, and rightfully so. I'm personally very pleased, I have my own nitpicks, but they're nothing worth disowning the models over, they're still infinitely better than the old ones on all aspects, anyone saying otherwise is doing so purely out of attachment to the old models after having played them for 10 years, which there's nothing wrong with mind you but it doesn't automatically make the new models bad.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfKnees View Post
    I have my own nitpicks, but they're nothing worth disowning the models over, they're still infinitely better than the old ones on all aspects, anyone saying otherwise is doing so purely out of attachment to the old models after having played them for 10 years, which there's nothing wrong with mind you but it doesn't automatically make the new models bad.
    I'm sorry, have you looked at the pictures three posts above ?
    Are you going to seriously claim that the new models are actually better than the old ones here ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    No, I really do not like some of the faces for Blood Elves. Before, when I made my first char she had the harsh liner face and I kind of wanted her to look like a totally evil bitch.

now she looks like just realized she got tricked into getting something stuck up her pooper
    I don't think she got tricked though :P

I wish they'd do a complete overhaul of the draenei males. In my opinion a lot of things should be redone. For example the stupid rings on the facial hair and the tail. It should at least be made optional kinda like piercings on some races. I really wish they'd just make them slimmer, less box shaped, like everyone that ever cared has ever asked for as well. I mean there's a reason barely no one plays as draenei males. So why don't they kitten do something about it already!

Along with perhaps female worgen they are the least played race/gender combo if I'd have a guess. It could be one of the coolest races in the game but instead they just look goofy. I know a lot of people are complaining about female draenei, but cmon man, in comparison they are more than fine.
    Last edited by Management; 2015-03-08 at 07:29 PM.