Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The state of Alabama

What is up with this state? I drove through the state for a business trip, and wow! It was like a blast from the past. I felt like I was back in the 90's. I thought maybe it was just the town, but it was like this through the entire state. Every time I stopped to get gas people looked at me, and my Infiniti QX80 like I was an alien and my SUV was a space ship. The only thing missing were the banjo's. Does anyone live there? Or anyone else shared my experience while traveling through the state?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not much detail in your OP to make a real comment. Aside from having non-American car, I guess that's all there really is to say lol. Alabama as far as I know is one of those 'real america' states. So anything not American is like.. odd to them? I don't know..

Here is an infiniti qx80. Not my fav.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    What area of the state did you drive through? The population is about 5mil, but about 70% of that is in cities of over 100k
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

So basically, you're attempting a thinly veiled bragging session about your shiny new car, under the guise of people from Alabama being so out of touch that they lose their shit when they see an average earning citizen in a mediocre luxury vehicle. Right?
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Here is an infiniti qx80. Not my fav.

Eww...it looks like the bastard offspring of a Range Rover and a rhino.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account

This is all I know about Alabama.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    What area of the state did you drive through? The population is about 5mil, but about 70% of that is in cities of over 100k
    I drove from the South East corner of Alabama to the Northwest corner of Alabama. I had a business meeting in Memphis Tennessee. I don't remember too much when it comes to the names. I did drive through Birmingham and Montgomery. Those were the only two towns that seemed up to par with where I live. The rest of the cities/towns I drive through were seriously bad. Is the state poor?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DistortionSleep View Post
    What is up with this state? I drove through the state for a business trip, and wow! It was like a blast from the past. I felt like I was back in the 90's. I thought maybe it was just the town, but it was like this through the entire state. Every time I stopped to get gas people looked at me, and my Infiniti QX80 like I was an alien and my SUV was a space ship. The only thing missing were the banjo's. Does anyone live there? Or anyone else shared my experience while traveling through the state?
    I live in Birmingham. Parts of the state are definitely backwoods scary, I-will-never-go-there-again.

Yeah. Alabama :/

Quote Originally Posted by GreenFuse View Post
    I live in Birmingham. Parts of the state are definitely backwoods scary, I-will-never-go-there-again.

Yeah. Alabama :/
    Oh okay yeah I was scared a few places I stopped. But Birmingham was a nice city. A breath of fresh air actually haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you really want to be making a flame thread on Alabama when your location is Florida. Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

I drove from the South East corner of Alabama to the Northwest corner of Alabama. I had a business meeting in Memphis Tennessee. I don't remember too much when it comes to the names. I did drive through Birmingham and Montgomery. Those were the only two towns that seemed up to par with where I live. The rest of the cities/towns I drive through were seriously bad. Is the state poor?
    I am not sure anyone who drives the infinity qx80 (willingly or by force)is qualified to make a call on what is "par" or in good taste, common sense or anything else for that matter.

See there ? Subjective comment/answer to a subjective question.

You're asking if a state is poor since they don't live up to your mediocre luxury car earning standards, yet you're taking 15+ hour drives for a simple business meeting instead of flying.

So I see two possible scenarios here:

1. You're not well off, yet seem to love harping on how the state isn't "up to par" with your living standards for no apparent reason.
    2. You made this thread (and story about a trip up) to stroke your ego (rather unsuccessfully) after buying a car.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Do you really want to be making a flame thread on Alabama when your location is Florida. Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
    This thread will most likely get locked like the Florida thread we had the other day.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...t-with-Florida

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    thats odd because to me the post seems to come off as curious and inquisitive rather than trying to actually flame bait which ironically is what you seem to be trying to start by your curious remark about him living in florida.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    thats odd because to me the post seems to come off as curious and inquisitive rather than trying to actually flame bait which ironically is what you seem to be trying to start by your curious remark about him living in florida.
    Don't even reply to them. I'm not going to. I was like you said generally curious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    I got the same vibe from the OP. I certainly would be curious as well considering I'm from the from New York City and the only other states I've been to is New Jersey (if that counts lol), Boston, Massachusetts and some parts of Connecticut. Been to Georgia too but was in Fort Benning most of the time so I can't really speak on the state itself.

Nevertheless, I definitely can understand the OP's curiosity. All I hear about most southern states is how... 'open minded' they are lol.
    Last edited by Nachturnal; 2015-03-07 at 08:34 PM.

This does seem like a post to both brag about his car and take a shot at Alabama but...

...yes there are towns/cities/places like this in America, in abundance. If you really want to see what you would consider 'backwards', try driving through the midwest. There are tiny remote towns with populations of less than 1000.

You're from Florida, they thought you were going to get out of your car wearing only this

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Thread title made me think of this lol