Low desirability for pugs?

Having a hell of a time getting into the heroic variations of blackrock and sometimes even highmaul! at 671 ilvl. I'm asking because it's been happening for weeks now, so I'm wondering if it's a normal occurrence , a well entrenched series of terrible luck or something else entirely. I will note I have no problems retaining the spot if I actually get an invite, I fare very favorably against most melee.

I guess what I'm asking is if this is something I should expect as melee/plate/dk, and If so is there anything I can do to alleviate it.

People tend to limit the amount of melee for some reason. You can always leave a comment with your experience, maybe try to convince them. It can be fairly subjective as well, some leaders want to limit for loot distribution.
    I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Choot View Post
    this is something I should expect as melee
    There you have it. it's not the class, its what slot you take.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

Its melee in general, you have to get used to it, generally the desirability for each type is Tank=Healer>Ranged DPS with lust>Ranged DPS>Melee

Generally melee actually forego having to really worry about most mechanics, as the large majority of them only target ranged. Even so, since they are always on the boss and have a bad history of "standing in bad" melee are undesirable no matter how strong. Taking a ranged is just "safer" even if the melee dps is of equal skill and gear ect.

Yeah id have to agree with the general sentiment of the comments thus far. I know myself, as a healer, i will take a melee dps if they're geared/do well in fights, but if it's a pug i will almost always prefer to take a ranged dps. Melee dps generally tend to be the ones who stand in mechanics and die, and then make excuses etc. Not to say that you or anyone else here who plays melee does it, it's just my experience. You need only look at lfr and the damage going out to the melee, in a version of the raid instance where you can't die to anything, to see that there is a problem.

I do raidlead on a couple of hc brf pugs each week, sometimes I just join groups. I main a 681 boomkin, and play a 678 unholy dk and 680 fury warrior as well. While it's true that it's FAR easier to get into a group with that balance druid of mine, I don't have THAT much more trouble with the other two. As a raidlead, I usually do 2 tanks 4-5heals, 4-5melees 5-6range dds, sometimes varying as the raid progresses, cause I feel that Kromog for example is easier with more, while flamebender is easier with less people. So I don't really see the problem in the undesired melees.

There are multiple reasons that I count responsible for your feeling of being unwanted:
    a) 671 is quite low. Don't get me wrong, it's enough for at least 7/10hc, but most players are higher by now, and raidleads will always take higher people.
    b) there's a huge amount of melees, most of them plate melees, and a lack of tanks applying for my raids - it makes me feel like most tanks(just like I do myself with warrior/dk) just went damage. Well and hunters...seriously...I always get 30+ hunters wanting to join my raids.
    c) most raidleads,including myself, are dickheads when it comes to raidexperience. I hardly ever invite anyone not at least having killed 7/10hc on that char. If you don't have that, you won't be invited.
    d) specs with high aoe output are wanted and sometimes even required => combat rogues, enhancer shamans and fury warriors pull ahead of you...always...sometimes by large amounts. As most rogues realized having a combat spec is useful, there's only one melee less desired than dk(well and retri palas - they seem quite close to dks in aoe and single target), and that's a feral druid, as a feral's aoe is simply put...ridicilously non-existent

Quote Originally Posted by StaeleAilar View Post
    Yeah id have to agree with the general sentiment of the comments thus far. I know myself, as a healer, i will take a melee dps if they're geared/do well in fights, but if it's a pug i will almost always prefer to take a ranged dps. Melee dps generally tend to be the ones who stand in mechanics and die, and then make excuses etc. Not to say that you or anyone else here who plays melee does it, it's just my experience. You need only look at lfr and the damage going out to the melee, in a version of the raid instance where you can't die to anything, to see that there is a problem.
    This is a bit patronizing, implying that melee are just generally worse at mechanics then range. Why they have more excuses is because they die more often perhaps, but they take more damage due to the fact that they are much more limited in space than ranged, just as a result of having to stand within the hotbox and avoid stuff. It's simply harder to stay out of stuff in a much smaller area than ranged dps work with, this however is balanced out by the fact that melee are able to move without dps loss, and generally have less dps-taxing defensives and self heals (in some cases not enough because that would imbalance pvp).

Another thing to add to the undesirability is spread mechanics, which are more difficult to manage the more melee you have because obviously, hit box.

Quote Originally Posted by Grmmppff View Post
    I do raidlead on a couple of hc brf pugs each week, sometimes I just join groups. I main a 681 boomkin, and play a 678 unholy dk and 680 fury warrior as well. While it's true that it's FAR easier to get into a group with that balance druid of mine, I don't have THAT much more trouble with the other two. As a raidlead, I usually do 2 tanks 4-5heals, 4-5melees 5-6range dds, sometimes varying as the raid progresses, cause I feel that Kromog for example is easier with more, while flamebender is easier with less people. So I don't really see the problem in the undesired melees.

There are multiple reasons that I count responsible for your feeling of being unwanted:
    a) 671 is quite low. Don't get me wrong, it's enough for at least 7/10hc, but most players are higher by now, and raidleads will always take higher people.
    b) there's a huge amount of melees, most of them plate melees, and a lack of tanks applying for my raids - it makes me feel like most tanks(just like I do myself with warrior/dk) just went damage. Well and hunters...seriously...I always get 30+ hunters wanting to join my raids.
    c) most raidleads,including myself, are dickheads when it comes to raidexperience. I hardly ever invite anyone not at least having killed 7/10hc on that char. If you don't have that, you won't be invited.
    d) specs with high aoe output are wanted and sometimes even required => combat rogues, enhancer shamans and fury warriors pull ahead of you...always...sometimes by large amounts. As most rogues realized having a combat spec is useful, there's only one melee less desired than dk(well and retri palas - they seem quite close to dks in aoe and single target), and that's a feral druid, as a feral's aoe is simply put...ridicilously non-existent
    Trust me, it's way beyond just I'll. I'm at 683 unholy do with 4pc and region number 2 parse on heroic beast lord with 66k dips, and have killed 2/10 mythic brf, and still have difficulty getting into simple kromog or flanebender pugs. Bleh.

I took a break on my tank pala when i was only 5/6 the first raid. just literally.. 4/5 weeks.. now I'v e come back and despite a fairly decent Ilvl (only 660) but still, I can't get into any pugs for the new place because I don't have the exp...

mental really the requirements people put on things!

7+ Year Old Account
    Just keep at it. Yeah, its hard for us melee to get into a pug these days cause there is such a influx of melee. Honestly I think you ilevel is whats stopping you at this point... most groups only take high 670s and 680s now cause they "think" its a 1 shot for the boss they are on... then the armory screening of you H kills affects your invite as well. Personally, I pugged night and day for over a month and just kept at it and kept bothering group leaders till I got in. Then I did my best when I was there. Today I link the AOTC achive and its a instant invite. I got lucky and found a good group- and also lied and said I had a few 3% wipes. It worked Over 300 wipes on H Blackhand pugs. Just hit the pavement and keep on grinding those groups!
    Percocetz Aeirie Peak Alliance- because im a F'n WEREWOLF!
    Filthy Casual