Thread: Life Is Strange

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Episode 3 was really good, especially the ending got pretty crazy. I like how the game progresses with even the smallest choices you make, though they don't always show much of an influence. Though the game is still suffering from some really bad lip sync issues, the way the models move and especially the forced dialogue.
    Yup, I agree. With all of your paragraph, that is.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

played the first chapter and enjoying it so far. I've always been a fan of the adventure game genre and it's great to see new games with some new twists (granted it's not the first time travel adventure game, there's the excellent Shadows of Memories and spiritual successor Time Hollow). it's a perfect first chapter, you get a taste of the bigger story (the lighthouse prologue, the rewind) and get to meet the characters, explore and be a part of the world
    yes there's some clichés, that's not always a bad thing though, especially since they fit. so far the game doesn't seem judgemental either, there's a variety of issues touched upon (drugs, gun control, bullying, abstinence), some more closely than others, but without any judgement upon them beyond that of the individual characters opinions, none of which are presented as being any more valid than others

the rewind is an interesting alternative to save scumming turned into a plot relevant game mechanic. it offers the chance to try different choices but still forces you to commit to one before seeing how it plays out in the long term

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    I really hope that's the case. I'd love to get my hands on the finished (all episodes) product. I'd gladly buy it then. Buying it before that just feels...wrong. With time inbetween episodes, I forget things and become impatient waiting. The Wolf Among Us was the worst in this regard, with their amazing cliffhangers, such as Snow's supposed severed head on your doorstop. I want to finish it now, dammit!

Totally agreed. I wrote it off as a jump scare, YouTube fodder game (and, to a large extent, I agree with my initial assessment). But, after watching the Game Theory on it, I was impressed. The lore is genuinely interesting. And I do credit that the concept of having to monitor the rooms in such a way that you can't tell if the enemy is waiting for you already is a nice idea. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be much actual gameplay going on in the game. Just lots of waiting. No thanks.

FNF is the kind of game you load up to show people that are easily scared. I had my sister piss herself when the pirate thing ran towards her door during the 4th night. The jump scare was so intense she couldnt hold it lol.

Deleted
    Surprised more people aren't talking about this. Excellent game.
    Finished episode 5 - Emotional roller coaster. 9/10

10+ Year Old Account
    Might be that people are trying to avoid any spoilers, that or they're still busy lifting their jaws back up after the ending of Episode 4 . I'll be starting Episode 5 tonight, have plenty of thoughts on how I think it'll end & how I hope it'll end but either way it's certainly one of my favourite gaming experiences in that past two decades.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    Might be that people are trying to avoid any spoilers, that or they're still busy lifting their jaws back up after the ending of Episode 4 . I'll be starting Episode 5 tonight, have plenty of thoughts on how I think it'll end & how I hope it'll end but either way it's certainly one of my favourite gaming experiences in that past two decades.
    Played Ep. 4 last night, that ending was... Whuuut?! I really didn't expect that. Who else just couldn't make Chloe OD near the start? I really have to get Ep. 5 today to find out what happens next.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

there's a lot of talk about it on the steam forums, mostly either loving or hating the ending (who could have predicted that?!). personally I loved the game from start to end and will be replaying it to try different things at least a couple more times

Loved the ending. I chose to sacrifice Arcadia Bay and it was absolutely heartwrenching.

This is without a doubt the greatest storytelling in any video game, which in itself is not a very high bar to pass because video game storytelling is typically amateur rubbish, but Life is Strange really is amazing. Never have I cared so much about characters in a video game narrative and being hit so hard emotionally, not just in Episode 5, but throughout the whole series.

Chloe: Don't forget about me.
    Max: Never.

This line, said when you choose to euthanize Chloe or sacrifice her, really sums up the entire game on multiple levels. No matter what ending you choose, Max's experiences, the life she lived in these 5 days with Chloe, were real and will always remain with her. A unforgettable story about two unforgettable protagonists.
    Last edited by paralleluniverse; 2015-10-21 at 01:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    Who else just couldn't make Chloe OD near the start?
    I sat and pondered that for a good five minutes before deciding but eventually helped her, although I think if I'd had to confront Joyce & William afterwards I would have probably gone back and changed it, far too many feels for me too carry.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    Loved the ending. I chose to sacrifice Arcadia Bay and it was absolutely heartwrenching.

This is without a doubt the greatest storytelling in any video game, which in itself is not a very high bar to pass because video game storytelling is typically amateur rubbish, but Life is Strange really is amazing. Never have I cared so much about characters in a video game narrative and being hit so hard emotionally, not just in Episode 5, but throughout the whole series.

Chloe: Don't forget about me.
    Max: Never.

This line, said when you choose to euthanize Chloe or sacrifice her, really sums up the entire game on multiple levels. No matter what ending you choose, Max's experiences, the life she lived in these 5 days with Chloe, were real and will always remain with her. A unforgettable story about two unforgettable protagonists.
    I couldn't get myself to sacrifice Arcadia Bay. Chloe was one of the single most important character in the story, but sacrificing everybody else for one single person... I just couldn't.
    Last edited by Zandalarian Paladin; 2015-10-21 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom4u2 View Post
    I couldn't get myself to sacrifice Arcadia Bay. Chloe was one of the single most important character in the story, but sacrificing everybody else for one single person... I just couldn't.
    My feeling is that Max went through hell and back to save Chloe again and again, unwilling to ever give up on her, she clearly loves her enough to sacrifice everything for her.
    Last edited by paralleluniverse; 2015-10-21 at 01:58 PM.

A predictable but solid ending to a good game. This episode felt a lot different than the others, because of the whole timetraveling and emotional rollercoaster. It gets really silly at points and with the scenes in the ''broken timeline'' you knew the game wasn't taking itself serious anymore, yet still ends with a tearjerking ending.

Its not my favorite episode but pretty good nonetheless. A major flaw is that it felt too much like a major cinematic with only very little gameplay where you can atleast walk around, especially the beginning lasted a long time till you finallly get to do something. My chocie at the end was very obvious and I decided to sacrifice Chloe. I'm actually suprised a lot of people sacrificed Arcadia Bay instead. No life, and not even of your best friend, is worth destroying an entire town for. I'd imagine Chloe wouldn't be glad with that choice either, though I haven't seen that ending yet.

Overall a good game, but it didn't come with its flaws. The voice acting felt off at times, with some really bad lip sync issues. In last episode, the characters you talk to don't even look at you while in a conversation, atleast during the gallery level. The characters felt clichéd, but I really liked the villain. The story itself is good, emotion is topnotch, and I especially like how everything is interactable and even the slighest changes gets brought over in the future. I'd rate the game as a whole about a 7.5/10.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    A predictable but solid ending to a good game. This episode felt a lot different than the others, because of the whole timetraveling and emotional rollercoaster. It gets really silly at points and with the scenes in the ''broken timeline'' you knew the game wasn't taking itself serious anymore, yet still ends with a tearjerking ending.

Its not my favorite episode but pretty good nonetheless. A major flaw is that it felt too much like a major cinematic with only very little gameplay where you can atleast walk around, especially the beginning lasted a long time till you finallly get to do something. My chocie at the end was very obvious and I decided to sacrifice Chloe. I'm actually suprised a lot of people sacrificed Arcadia Bay instead. No life, and not even of your best friend, is worth destroying an entire town for. I'd imagine Chloe wouldn't be glad with that choice either, though I haven't seen that ending yet.

Overall a good game, but it didn't come with its flaws. The voice acting felt off at times, with some really bad lip sync issues. In last episode, the characters you talk to don't even look at you while in a conversation, atleast during the gallery level. The characters felt clichéd, but I really liked the villain. The story itself is good, emotion is topnotch, and I especially like how everything is interactable and even the slighest changes gets brought over in the future. I'd rate the game as a whole about a 7.5/10.
    She doesn't really react much, they have a hug as Arcadia Bay gets destroyed, then they drive off out of the town. All in all, it was a rather enjoyable game, though the school dorm repeating itself was a timey wimey mind fuck for me and was rather hilariously annoying

10+ Year Old Account
    Great game and a tough choice at the end. I ended up doing both but I knew Sacrificing Chloe was my true ending. I feel the Jefferson story should have wrapped up last episode so this one could focus solely on Max and Chloe but oh well.

For a good cry.

Last edited by Tragedia; 2015-10-31 at 02:21 AM.

Deleted
    Amazing game! I truly loved it, had great topics, and some heavy topics other games don't focus on and presented all sides rather well.

The ending was a bit... disappointing though. I mean if I would have had the option to save Chloe and 4-5 others, I would have taken it, but leaving all those to die, including Chloe's mom was kind of a dumb choice. Also the ending where you save Chloe was anticlymactic, I mean they drive around the town and smile as they leave...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Amazing game! I truly loved it, had great topics, and some heavy topics other games don't focus on and presented all sides rather well.

The ending was a bit... disappointing though. I mean if I would have had the option to save Chloe and 4-5 others, I would have taken it, but leaving all those to die, including Chloe's mom was kind of a dumb choice. Also the ending where you save Chloe was anticlymactic, I mean they drive around the town and smile as they leave...
    I don't like the ending at all. You gotta change between the stupid, "right" ending of saving everyone and letting your friend die or the stupid "wrong" ending of letting everyone die because they are too stupid to move away from the torando. And that because it is all your fault and you didn't use your powers to do good. So the lesson is: Next time you can change something better don't do it, because it may end badly.

So I choose the Chloe ending, because fuck this writing.

Still a good game though. The ending kinda makes it less good, but overall a pretty good game.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post

Max wasn't smiling, she was totally sadface.
    Last edited by paralleluniverse; 2015-11-01 at 02:12 AM.

Amazing game. I chose to sacrifice Chloe because I couldn't justify killing all those people just to save one person even if it was my best friendand...oh man the feels. I agonized over the choice but I'm happy with it after seeing the final cutscene.

My ramblings on Life is Strange:

I felt like the game did a lot very well: the atmosphere was by far the most memorable thing about the game for me. It just...felt like high school. From the cliques to the problems, it felt very real to me. While I have heard a lot of complaints about 'awkward dialog', I remember hearing (and saying) some pretty awkward things in high school. I also really liked the subject matter. Without talking about spoilers, they address some dark shit, something I can't remember any video game covering. Perhaps some others did, but none come to mind. The character interaction was fun, too; I'm normally not one to stop and talk to all the people, but in this game I'd happily go out of my way to talk to everyone and pick every dialog option (and frequently rewind and make different decisions as well). In fact, the achievements encouraged me to think about my surroundings and interact with the environment, which lead me to investigate basically every square inch of the world...and I actually enjoyed doing so. The last game I can remember doing that was BioShock Infinite.

Unfortunately, the game wasn't without flaws: lip syncing isn't something I normally care about, but when it's that bad -- to the point where I think I could do better (and I'm not being facetious about this) -- there's a problem. It was jarring to the point where it broke my immersion; I had to enable subtitles, read them, and ignore their faces. Ugh. Another problem I had with the game is that while I enjoyed Chloe and Max's relationship, I didn't particularly care for either one, so when the end comes and you're presented the choice, I didn't care as much as the game wanted me to. This is a real shame, because other than this, the final episode was absolutely fantastic.

I don't think Life is Strange quite measures up to The Wolf Among Us (or perhaps similar games), but I found it to be very enjoyable and memorable.

Damn this was an incredible game... It hit me right in the feels
    So tough and heart wrenching...

9.5/10 (0.5 for some annoying sequences that slowed pacing a little bit and were annoying to handle)