7+ Year Old Account

New BM monk need some help

Hi there. I made a BM monk, and its my first real attempt at tanking. I am level 27 right now, and in dungeons I want to know how pull and hold threat on multiple trash packs. A lot of groups want me to go fast, which I would be happy to do, but I want to learn how to hold aggro on a lot of mobs. I could use dizzying haze as the only ability ever in a dungeon, but I want to learn how to play correctly. Also could someone recommend a basic BM Monk guide to me? I have never tanked before. Thanks a lot!
    http://re-lapse.enjin.com/
    Fri Sat 9PM-1AM EST
    13/13M
    US #1 Weekend Guild
    If you have what it takes, apply.

Well the stickied guide here (also linked in my signature) tells you how to do pretty much everything as a Brewmaster.

for leveling you're just likely going to have to perform the level 100 rotation with the abilities you have and just slowly add in the new stuff.

For the question of aggro... keg smash hits like a truck so that's going to be your high threat, with dizzying haze being good for pulling but not too much else. If you lose aggro in the middle of a fight you can spam DH or use your taunt Provoke when you get it, but by level 100 you shouldn't need to use dizzying haze for anything other than pulls and kiting.

Quote Originally Posted by TeksOfGiggityA52 View Post
    Hi there. I made a BM monk, and its my first real attempt at tanking. I am level 27 right now, and in dungeons I want to know how pull and hold threat on multiple trash packs. A lot of groups want me to go fast, which I would be happy to do, but I want to learn how to hold aggro on a lot of mobs. I could use dizzying haze as the only ability ever in a dungeon, but I want to learn how to play correctly. Also could someone recommend a basic BM Monk guide to me? I have never tanked before. Thanks a lot!
    Honestly, at level 27, it doesn't matter too much if you are holding aggro. Most things die quickly and wipes are pretty much a non-issue. A good deal of toons have heirloom gear at that level, and some classes can virtually solo those dungeons with full sets of heirlooms. If people pull, don't feel panicked to pick up immediately. Just launch a Dizzying Haze and keep up your main pack priority.

That being said, at level 27, and at most level forward, aggro is held by Keg Smash and Dizzy Haze primarily. At level 46 you get Spinning Crane Kick, but you should not really use it that often, and at 70 you get your aggro statue. The key is to make sure that you pull the adds instead of letting others, so you can line it up with aggro abilities, either by pulling two packs at once or by pulling a pack and then pulling a second one to coincide with Keg Smash going off cooldown. In a pinch you could use Breath of Fire, but you're better off using those chi for Guard or Stagger.

Until much later (Wrath/Cata level), you will find that Guard can pretty much stay up constantly, and you rarely take enough damage to pop your Guard before you're ready to refresh it.

Honestly, while it's noble to want to learn good habits early, early dungeons rarely hit hard enough or have enough mechanics to teach you anything of meaning. Getting into challenging late game content is really the key to mastering your Brewmaster, since a number of powerful abilities that are critical to proper tanking aren't even available to you until later. Survive, kill things, level, have fun.