Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Algathor View Post
    "You can hang them from a tree... there will never be a nigger in SAE"

Give me some context that doesn't make that sounds absolutely terrible for this case, remember, they were singing it in a happy tune similar to the song If you are happy and you know it. We don't get to judge where they should be punished, the college does, and it handed down punishment it saw fit. We get to judge if they are shitty humans for singing, happily I must continue adding, about hanging black people from trees.
    What about that rapper singing the song "cop killer". Clearly hes anti cops and is preaching about killing them. We should punish him too. If its against the school policies then fine, the punishment was justified, but I don't think its that big of a deal. If there were other racists actions and this was the spark that set off their punishment, great. If it was a harmless song and they had no intention of every hurting or oppressing black people, then its not a big deal.

Did they ever hang someone from a tree? are there black people in SAE? Did they buy some rope?

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    What about that rapper singing the song "cop killer". Clearly hes anti cops and is preaching about killing them. We should punish him too. If its against the school policies then fine, the punishment was justified, but I don't think its that big of a deal. If there were other racists actions and this was the spark that set off their punishment, great. If it was a harmless song and they had no intention of every hurting or oppressing black people, then its not a big deal.

Did they ever hang someone from a tree? are there black people in SAE? Did they buy some rope?
    You know, other shitty actions are not relevant to this discussion. I would call anyone singing that song in a positive light terrible humans as well, but as I just said, we do not dish out punishment, those associated with the perpetrators do.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/0...edgee-to-death

^^^ Kind of important given the nature of frats
    Last edited by Moralgy; 2015-03-11 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    You have to understand the culture they grew up in. No they probably did not think that it was a bad idea to chant.
    They knew they were being naughty and that's why they did it. It's like the kid who takes a cookie without permission because forbidden cookies taste so much better.

There is a wonderful lack of racism today among college students. There's always going to be a few racists but overall the vast majority of college students aren't.

I think you'd be surprised if you talked to these guys on a one on one level.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I think most of those wanting so called "equal rights" yet cant see everyone is equal are jut full of hate, no longer are you wanting something good, but i feel deep inside you want destruction of white people, plain and simple. It's like the young black girl years back shouting she wants her reparations for slavery......as if she was ever a slave. This is the me generation, so easily stirred up and driven to rage, so easy to control with foodstamps and hate speeches from their god king and other prophets(al and jessie)

You know, other shitty actions are not relevant to this discussion. I would call anyone singing that song in a positive light terrible humans as well, but as I just said, we do not dish out punishment, those associated with the perpetrators do.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/0...edgee-to-death

^^^ Kind of important given the nature of frats
    well then great, they deserved the punishment. But you cant lump everyone together into one big category. Hypothetically lets say person A is very active in helping out black people. He donates to charities, organizes rallies, even helps tutor underprivileged kids. He just so happens to sing this song as a joke. Maybe he was singing it as a parody of racists, maybe he was singing it to show how evil is. The point is, if you took a 6 second video of him singing this song, and used that as the sole basis of calling him a racist and punishing him, that would be wrong.

I understand these kid were in the wrong, im just saying you cant use a video of someone singing a song to prove they are racists. I once sang the Canadian anthem and I am a US citizen. Must mean im not loyal.

well then great, they deserved the punishment. But you cant lump everyone together into one big category. Hypothetically lets say person A is very active in helping out black people. He donates to charities, organizes rallies, even helps tutor underprivileged kids. He just so happens to sing this song as a joke. Maybe he was singing it as a parody of racists, maybe he was singing it to show how evil is. The point is, if you took a 6 second video of him singing this song, and used that as the sole basis of calling him a racist and punishing him, that would be wrong.

I understand these kid were in the wrong, im just saying you cant use a video of someone singing a song to prove they are racists. I once sang the Canadian anthem and I am a US citizen. Must mean im not loyal.
    I am not calling them racist, I am calling them shitty humans for singing this in a positive light, in the same way you would sing If you are happy and you know it. If you want context, those taking part in this chant saying, "You can hang them from a tree... there will never be a nigger in SAE" were in a frat with a history of racism, and even a case of a black student being hazed to death. Frats tend to have group think, even across schools. The exact chant isn't even isolated to this single school.
    Last edited by Moralgy; 2015-03-11 at 01:25 PM.

If the rapper attended the police academy, kicking him out wouldn't be unreasonable, no.
    This song is not harmless because it spreads racism. You don't sing this song unless you somewhat agree with the lyrics, because this is not a parody, and every normal person would react with disgust. They might just be a bunch of immature kids, but they don't belong in a school if they have these attitudes.
    Mother pus bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    They knew they were being naughty and that's why they did it. It's like the kid who takes a cookie without permission because forbidden cookies taste so much better.

There is a wonderful lack of racism today among college students. There's always going to be a few racists but overall the vast majority of college students aren't.

I think you'd be surprised if you talked to these guys on a one on one level.
    Well, I live in Oklahoma and I work with lots of local Oklahomans. I don't think people are "evil" but there's certain cultural anachronisms that are alive and well here, it's just the way it is. People don't think its a thing to share racial opinions between (white) friends. I can't say their privileged shitty frat kids singing this and full well meaning it isn't really that out of place.

Not everyone has shitty frat kids, but some people do have shitty frat kids.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    If the rapper attended the police academy, kicking him out wouldn't be unreasonable, no.
    This song is not harmless because it spreads racism. You don't sing this song unless you somewhat agree with the lyrics, because this is not a parody, and every normal person would react with disgust. They might just be a bunch of immature kids, but they don't belong in a school if they have these attitudes.
    I really like cops. I have sang cop killer. I don't agree with the lyrics at all. I just think it has a great beat. The great part about universities is it is very diverse. All sorts of people go there to get an education and to change peoples opinions. If you kick these kids out for singing a racist song, do you think they will ever learn?

I am not calling them racist, I am calling them shitty humans for singing this in a positive light, in the same way you would sing If you are happy and you know it. If you want context, those taking part in this chant saying, "You can hang them from a tree... there will never be a nigger in SAE" were in a frat with a history of racism, and even a case of a black student being hazed to death. Frats tend to have group think, even across schools. The exact chant isn't even isolated to this single school.
    You don't think these kids could've possibly been singing this as a joke? I understand that their frat has a history, but if these kids were not involved with killing this black person, and they just happened to be singing this song, you think its right to deem them as shitty human beings off of just this one thing alone? I saw a woman cut in line at a very long line once. Probably saved herself 40 minutes. This was a terribly shitty thing to do. Based on this one event, I can tell that she is a shitty person.

I really like cops. I have sang cop killer. I don't agree with the lyrics at all. I just think it has a great beat. The great part about universities is it is very diverse. All sorts of people go there to get an education and to change peoples opinions. If you kick these kids out for singing a racist song, do you think they will ever learn?

You don't think these kids could've possibly been singing this as a joke? I understand that their frat has a history, but if these kids were not involved with killing this black person, and they just happened to be singing this song, you think its right to deem them as shitty human beings off of just this one thing alone? I saw a woman cut in line at a very long line once. Probably saved herself 40 minutes. This was a terribly shitty thing to do. Based on this one event, I can tell that she is a shitty person.
    The fact that people see it as a permissable joke to sing about murdering black people rather than them having equal opportunity to elite organizations isn't racism?
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

The fact that people see it as a permissable joke to sing about murdering black people rather than them having equal opportunity to elite organizations isn't racism?
    Some people just take it too seriously. Yes if it was a perfect world then this song wouldn't exist and neither would racism. The song is harmless in and of itself. They were not preaching about killing black people. They were not inciting people to kill black people. They were not spreading racism. It was confined to their group, someone filmed it, and it got out.

If you can take this one incident of them singing a racist song, and deem that they are racists and shitty people, then that's on you. I think you are just being too sensitive.

If you can take this one incident of them singing a racist song, and deem that they are racists and shitty people, then that's on you. I think you are just being too sensitive.
    Really? Do you go around singing racist songs about killing black people rather than letting them in to your club? I know I don't, and I don't know anybody that thinks that would be ok. If a person does think that's ok, I'm going to guess they have some pretty racist opinions.

I bet that song is from the 60's and their grandpas and dads taught it to them. There was a lot of racial conflict back then, integration etc.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be punishment, but I think they should be given a chance to apologize. Maybe accept a bunch of black brothers into the fraternity.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Really? Do you go around singing racist songs about killing black people rather than letting them in to your club? I know I don't, and I don't know anybody that thinks that would be ok. If a person does think that's ok, I'm going to guess they have some pretty racist opinions.
    I don't have a club. I'm not too familiar with frat rules but are they allowed to discriminate who they let in? Are there any formal rules on it? If they aren't breaking rules, they are allowed to do what they want. And im also not aware of this particular frat so I cant comment on them not allowing any black people in cause im not sure if that's happening.

Once again I tell racist jokes. Does that make me a racist?

In a frat with racist history
    Sings a "happy" song, that isn't isolated to that school, about murdering black people by hanging them from a tree
    Another chapter of the frat actually murdered a black person via hazing
    Other chapters have racism issues.

My bullshit senses are tingling if you really want to try and say it might have been a lighthearted song that wasn't filled with shitty intentions. Frats have a group think, it seems very rare that different chapters of some of these frats differ much at all.

"These guys in white hoods chanting shitty things about black people might just be doing it as a lighthearted sing along!"
    Last edited by Moralgy; 2015-03-11 at 01:53 PM.

Can't wait till an actual racist expels every black from their college on the grounds that the kids were Ooga boogA racist.

It would seem like a publically funded university would have to obey the 1st amendment, but who knows
    Last edited by satimy; 2015-03-11 at 01:52 PM.

In a frat with racist history
    Sings a "happy" song, that isn't isolated to that school, about murdering black people by hanging them from a tree
    Another chapter of the frat actually murdered a black person via hazing
    Other chapters have racism issues.

My bullshit senses are tingling if you really want to try and say it might have been a lighthearted song that wasn't filled with shitty intentions.
    And that's fine. You can have that opinion. But its an opinion. You don't know if these particular kids are actual racists or not.

And that's fine. You can have that opinion. But its an opinion. You don't know if these particular kids are actual racists or not.
    I never said they were, I said they were shitty humans just as I would about billy bob strutting around in his white hood with his friends singing shitty things about black people. Billy Bob may be doing it cause his friends pressured him into doing it, and he may not actually think what he is saying, but he is joining in on being a terrible human and empowering those who actually want to oppress black people.

I never said they were, I said they were shitty humans just as I would about billy bob strutting around in his white hood with his friends singing shitty things about black people. Billy Bob may be doing it cause his friends pressured him into doing it, and he may not actually think what he is saying, but he is joining in on being a terrible human and empowering those who actually want to oppress black people.
    Or they could be some young people who made a mistake.

-- Capt. Copeland

Ok. I don't think we are gonna see eachothers sides. You think these kids are shitty people. I think they are kids singing a song as a joke. I don't know if you think they actually hate black people and really believe they should hang niggers from trees, but I don't. I think its all a joke. If I tell racist jokes and find them funny, does that make me a shitty person? Or does that make me not give a fuck and take things less seriously than others?