Basic DJing Equipment/Software

I've posted this on a few other forums but I like getting a vast amount of opinions before I do anything

I am moving down to a college campus and living in a fairly large house in a pretty prominent section of campus known for having some decent parties. I'm probably the most musically inclined person out of my group of friends and feel I have the ability to put together some sets and such.

My goal is just to have something decently loud (speaker-wise) and the ability to snip songs and just mix them all together. I'm not looking to make any of my own stuff yet, just need a way to make it all work so I can play stuff.

Any suggestions about anything to do with basic set-up for speakers/subs and the software that may be most useful to do this

I have a decent income for a college student aswell. The speakers would preferably cost me 300 - 500 dollars total for everything and if the software is free that would be good! But I'm not opposed to spending money on something that would make my life vastly easier.

Thank you!

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Software-wise, Serato is the industry favorite -- at least it was when I worked in a nightclub.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    FL Studio has more features than you could ever utilize. Great for mixing longs sets, I've done 2 hour mixes in it, and it allows for further experimentation in producing your own music if you are inclined in the future. https://soundcloud.com/glenn-vaags/tracks Just a link to some of the hobby stuff I've done with it, gives ya an idea at least of its capabilities.

I use the FL Studio 14 Producer Edition with quite a few VST Plugins added on. Things like Sytrus, Sawyer, SliceX, Wobbler 2.0, and Edison primarily. For pulling samples from video or other songs I use a combination of Audacity and Edison (in FL Studio).

Quote Originally Posted by OhpUldum View Post
    FL Studio has more features than you could ever utilize. Great for mixing longs sets, I've done 2 hour mixes in it, and it allows for further experimentation in producing your own music if you are inclined in the future. https://soundcloud.com/glenn-vaags/tracks Just a link to some of the hobby stuff I've done with it, gives ya an idea at least of its capabilities.

I use the FL Studio 14 Producer Edition with quite a few VST Plugins added on. Things like Sytrus, Sawyer, SliceX, Wobbler 2.0, and Edison primarily. For pulling samples from video or other songs I use a combination of Audacity and Edison (in FL Studio).
    Awesome, I may check that out! It sounds like you've had some experience with it on a personal level, any speaker/sub suggestions? If not that's cool! Just thought I would see what you personally recommend.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Awesome, I may check that out! It sounds like you've had some experience with it on a personal level, any speaker/sub suggestions? If not that's cool! Just thought I would see what you personally recommend.
    I've used a wide variety of speakers for car audio but more home related speakers I have limited experience. Klipsch and Bose are the two brands I've heard the most from for home related. In car I've used Focal, MB Quart, Alpine, Kicker, and MTX.

Depending on budget generally dictates the selection. If you're looking for a mobile rig I use to rent these out at my A/V company http://www.amazon.co.uk/QTX-QR12PA-P.../dp/B004GK5F46 and never received a single complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by OhpUldum View Post
    I've used a wide variety of speakers for car audio but more home related speakers I have limited experience. Klipsch and Bose are the two brands I've heard the most from for home related. In car I've used Focal, MB Quart, Alpine, Kicker, and MTX.

Depending on budget generally dictates the selection. If you're looking for a mobile rig I use to rent these out at my A/V company http://www.amazon.co.uk/QTX-QR12PA-P.../dp/B004GK5F46 and never received a single complaint.
    I'm looking for something possibly more stationary as they are probably just going to be in my house. I've been looking at some Klipsch stuff, thanks for responding though I appreciate it!

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    I'm looking for something possibly more stationary as they are probably just going to be in my house. I've been looking at some Klipsch stuff, thanks for responding though I appreciate it!
    If they're going to be stationary then there are some good brands available. Kenwood, Klipsch, Bose, etc. Best bet is to visit a store and just listen to the speakers. When I go on the hunt I can be in store for a while just due to the variety of music I listen to.

2 turntables and a microphone.