Deleted

PC upgrade question

Hello good fellas

My friend has:
    GA-Z77-D3H
    Nvidia Gforce GTX 670
    Processor Intel core i3 2100 3.10 ghz
    8 GB ram

His biggest problem is his CPU, and would like to upgrade for streaming.
    Would you say it's a good idea? or would it be better to just start fresh?

Deleted
    Upgrade cpu+mobo and you're done then. Ie a i5 4690k+Z97 mobo.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    It also helps to know your friends internet connection. You can encounter a few bottlenecks while streaming a game you are playing online.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Upgrade cpu+mobo and you're done then. Ie a i5 4690k+Z97 mobo.
    Or if that is to much, you could buy a 3570k either new or second hand.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OhpUldum View Post
    It also helps to know your friends internet connection. You can encounter a few bottlenecks while streaming a game you are playing online.
    his internet connection is no problem

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Or if that is to much, you could buy a 3570k either new or second hand.
    I read a few things about streaming, and most people recommend an i7, is it not necessary?

Nah not necessary, even back when streaming was fairly CPU intensive with xsplit you could easily do it on an i5. i7's are only truly useful if you are encoding a ton of videos or something along those lines to save you time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 44thsavage View Post
    I read a few things about streaming, and most people recommend an i7, is it not necessary?
    I have no experience with streaming, but it seems ok. But you could also get a i7 3770k.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's not necessary, but allows for a better on-the-fly encoding. Assuming Twitch streaming, if the streamer is not partnered, then they are not going to be able to push enough data to make the better encoding worth it. A non-partnered stream should sit around 720p at 2000kbps bitrate. Higher than this would cause users to start buffering (since non-partners don't have the option for users to change the stream's quality level). As such, the better encoding is essentially wasted. It's not entirely wasted, but it's really not worth the extra horsepower at that point. If they take copies of their streams to put on YouTube (as I do for my D&D streams), then the i7 could help save a bit of time when encoding hours of video.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    It's not necessary, but allows for a better on-the-fly encoding. Assuming Twitch streaming, if the streamer is not partnered, then they are not going to be able to push enough data to make the better encoding worth it. A non-partnered stream should sit around 720p at 2000kbps bitrate. Higher than this would cause users to start buffering (since non-partners don't have the option for users to change the stream's quality level). As such, the better encoding is essentially wasted. It's not entirely wasted, but it's really not worth the extra horsepower at that point. If they take copies of their streams to put on YouTube (as I do for my D&D streams), then the i7 could help save a bit of time when encoding hours of video.
    I am not entirely sure on this, as I have not attempted streaming anything since my upgrades, but I thought with nVidia's Shadowplay you take quite a load off the CPU and move it to the GPU, making the i7 even less necessary. Further info on this would be appreciated from anyone who knows.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I am not entirely sure on this, as I have not attempted streaming anything since my upgrades, but I thought with nVidia's Shadowplay you take quite a load off the CPU and move it to the GPU, making the i7 even less necessary. Further info on this would be appreciated from anyone who knows.
    I can't give any input on Shadowplay, as I've been running AMD cards for quite a number of years now. According to Nvidia's website, it looks like it uses a GPU accelerated H.264 encoder, so that should relieve some/most of the stress that would usually go toward the CPU. I can't say how well it works, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    I can't give any input on Shadowplay, as I've been running AMD cards for quite a number of years now. According to Nvidia's website, it looks like it uses a GPU accelerated H.264 encoder, so that should relieve some/most of the stress that would usually go toward the CPU. I can't say how well it works, however.
    I've been meaning to play with it, just for shits 'n giggles. If I have some time this weekend, maybe I will.

Deleted
    Shadowplay is amazing. Good quality at almost no impact to pc performance.

Deleted
    1 more quick question, does anyone know if the GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z97 has USB boot in the bios ?

1 more quick question, does anyone know if the GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z97 has USB boot in the bios ?
    I am pretty sure all current boards do.

Deleted
    i'm getting this old hu?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Shadowplay is amazing. Good quality at almost no impact to pc performance.
    It just has no customization in streaming =\.